Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(84 Posts)
12Michael Sun 29-Mar-20 06:17:54

Good Morning Everyone,
I am up at my usual time , its twilight out there but looks dry and clear at the moment here in Brackley.
Today, semi self isolate , maybe a small shop , but trying not to spend more time on computer or watching TV.
The residential home i live in, we all had an internal letter as to the current situation,and obeying those orders made by not using the community lounge, , there is a group of around 6 who think they run the place whilst the management are not about by creating there own rules.
Mick

19829chad Sun 29-Mar-20 10:28:21

Hello from sunny Telford. Happy anniversary old goats keep fighting on the beaches mick! Marydoll those days are a ray of hope I loved them, urmstongran your husband and mine must be related I have same problems! I have a feral cat with poorly paw visiting me. I have a trap cage with lovely food in it but the wily beggar won’t go in it. Have spent 12 quid already at vets on painkiller drops for him , take care all stay safe keep posting you all make my day.

Beechnut Sun 29-Mar-20 10:07:50

Happy Anniversary Oldgoat ?

Urmstongran Sun 29-Mar-20 10:03:32

Thanks for posting again EV. No, no flour hence finding the granules whilst rooting!

Washing pegged out on line thingy which is bolted to the balcony. Lovely seeing sheets in the sunshine!

Himself has just been ‘helping’. Swept the tiled floor, caught the broom handle on the iPad charger flex which tipped the small coffee table and the plant pot smashed on the tiles. Honestly it’s like ‘housework with Mr. Pastry’ here ...
?

Elegran Sun 29-Mar-20 10:02:04

Marydoll If you can make marrow rum out of a marrow, then why not banana rum out of a banana?

harrigran Sun 29-Mar-20 09:59:41

Good morning from the NE where we have just had a hail shower.
I wasn't in the garden yesterday, thought it was too cool.
I am not watching any news on TV, we are watching programmes that have been recorded like dramas.
Collecting drugs from pharmacy is a fiasco at present, shorter opening hours and prescription typically taking a week to process. Queues round the car park and closing the premises at lunchtime.
I haven't heard from DC for more than 24 hours but younger sister checks up on us each day. She had obtained a delivery of fresh vegetables, where she lives there are lots of family run shops.
It was BIL's 80th birthday yesterday and of course all celebrations were cancelled. They are in Germany and he is classed as extremely vulnerable as he is being treated for lung cancer. They have no family at all and no internet shopping.
Have the best day you can. The sun has just come out.

Kalu Sun 29-Mar-20 09:55:39

Good morning all from a cloudy /blue skies but chilly Glasgow.

Like others have mentioned we too are now avoiding constant media coverage and only watching government updates. Too much negative overload otherwise.

Another day looking for things to keep busy. Some gardening, some housework, catchups with family and watching TV. Best bit, books to pick up and escape into another world??

Happy Anniversary Oldgoat ? and Bon appétit for later.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today Whywhywhy. Looking forward to hearing from you as you join the rest of us muddling through.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Marydoll Sun 29-Mar-20 09:43:39

I had to come back and post a pic of these daffodils.
DH and I went for a walk down the wooded lane behind our house, a wee while ago, knowing we wouldn't see a soul.
In the midst of the undergrowth were lots of daffs growing wild.
For me, it was a symbol of hope in these dark times. The sun has come out and for the moment, I feel uplifted.

Auntieflo, the banana loaf is a non starter. The bananas have started to ferment! Not wanting to waste them, I wonder if I could make banana rum? ?

Gingster Sun 29-Mar-20 09:28:21

Good morning all. I bounce out of bed (well nearly) and look forward to my cuppa and gransnet. It really is a great start to the day. Like having a bunch of pals round for a natter. ?. While DH Snoozes on in bed. I queued in the pharmacy for 35 minutes yesterday for dh’s prescription and a few bits for my elderly SIL. Kept thinking I shouldn’t be in here. Wished I had a mask. DH got the papers for us and neighbours. I know they’re all older than us but dh was 70 last November and I will be 70 in July (GW) . Not going again! ?. Have gammon joint in slow cooker so we shall look forward to that late afternoon. All I seem to think about is the next meal. Yes Bluebell gale force winds on the Suffolk coast. Poured with rain about 5 o’clock but sunny again now. Can you still go to your allotment? Peaceful minds and gentle thoughts everyone. X ☺️

Pittcity Sun 29-Mar-20 09:24:03

Happy Anniversary to the oldgoats ?

Pittcity Sun 29-Mar-20 09:23:00

Good morning from Colchester where rain and hail is falling. Apart from a roast beef dinner we have no plans today.
We have made a menu for the next few days using stuff we have. We are down to our last pint of milk, so it will be black coffee and lemon tea as I need some for cereal and Yorkshire pudding.
May have to brave the shop, but would prefer not to.

Grandmafrench Sun 29-Mar-20 09:22:39

Thank you so much EV - scary didn’t come close. Epipen’s a sensible thought. I do have a store of anti-histamines and I was tempted. Have yourself a good day and stay safe.

Grandmafrench Sun 29-Mar-20 09:14:51

Thanks for your kind wishes, Susan56, I’ve recovered! Great idea your DD’s “Christening” party. We need all the excuses now to share some good times. Just wait until this is all over! ?

Ginny42 Sun 29-Mar-20 09:13:35

Good morning Mick and everyone on a sunny Cheshire morning. The moon and Venus looked stunning again last night, possibly a result of reduced pollution levels?

Well, I'm not going to dampen the spirit of Mick's lovely thread, but I set the alarm for 2.00 to hopefully place a food order never having done it before.. A hour later, having trawled through the site I found no delivery date till May. Tried another- only if on the Gov vulnerable list - no I'm not (happily) I'm just an old devil. Enough of that. I'll just have to go out at some stage.

I'm off for a walk in the woods. Got to exercise. I watched many episodes of 'Virgin River' on Netflix and today want to know what happens next. Got to get my head round video conferencing. Going to bake soda bread and scones. That's my day.

Scentia no more climbing ladders please! Windows can wait. Happy anniversary to the Oldgoats, enjoy your day.

Stay focused on the horizon when this horrible episode will be over. flowers for everyone.

Greyduster Sun 29-Mar-20 09:09:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a cold, grey South Yorkshire (the sun was shining when I woke up!). We had a day indoors yesterday - not even the permitted short walk, but plenty to keep us busy. Today? I will bake cupcakes and coconut tarts for a sweet treat and we will treat ourselves to a bit of a roast dinner.
Oldgoat congratulations on your anniversary!??. Please keep the snow up there in York?!
Have the best day you can folks.?

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Mar-20 09:08:06

Good morning from a cold but bright Leicestershire.

Happy Anniversary oldgoat.

Pleased your cough is better Scentia. I have had a cough for a couple of weeks but I get it every year when the grass starts to grow.

Good news yesterday as my DS thought his contact would be terminated at the end of the month but they have told him they will keep him on.

Not much planned although will ring another friend today. I am catching up with them all. My friends in Holland have been told not to clear out their houses as the rubbish department will not be able to cope!

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 09:07:34

What a fright you must have had Grandmafrench. You could do with getting an EpiPen just in case, although you can get the same side-effects from the treatment as the problem itself.
Hope everything's settled down for you. x

Susan56 Sun 29-Mar-20 09:05:30

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where it’s another bright and breezy start.
Our youngest grandson was 6 months old yesterday so DD did a little party for the four of them,dressed H in the outfit he was going to wear for his Christening as it won’t fit him by the time they can rebook the Christening and they had a little party,cake and all.DGD absolutely loved it and we have had some lovely photos.
Scentia,glad you are feeling better and Grandmafrench what an awful thing to happen.Hope you are feeling better today.
Happy anniversary to the old goats???
Mick,I would think if the directive not to use the communal lounge has not come from management then so long as you obey the social distancing rules it would be nice for you to sit in a larger space for a couple of hours.
Like others I am limiting the amount of news I watch,just watching the daily government update.
Have the best day you can everyone.

EllanVannin Sun 29-Mar-20 08:59:50

Morning Urmstongran, x should be alright since conditions are warm and it'll be well heated and cooked. No flour ?
Me ? I wing everything in the bin grin Although I have been known to use Oxo cubes that have shrunk with age.

It couldn't be done in Australia though as it would have had weevils and things in it and would have moved itself to the bin.grin

Hope things are okay and the weather is kind. It'll be warming up nicely now. After this lot we'll probably have the hottest summer imaginable.

kittylester Sun 29-Mar-20 08:59:15

Morning all from a cold and cloudy North Leicestershre.

I did a Tesco click and collect at 3.30 or maybe 4.30am confused to be collected on 18th April - but at least we have one!

We had a lovely day yesterday having decided to watch Line of Duty from the beginning - still not sure I understand it but it was a brilliant distraction.

We had various video calls from most of the dgc as we had ordered sweets to be delivered to them.

It was also DGD4's 7th birthday. As she blew her candles out she wished for the virus to go away so she could have a proper party! sad

Hoping everyone stays safe and has the best day possible.

Anniebach Sun 29-Mar-20 08:58:35

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Brunette10 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:48:18

Good Morning from Fife. It's a quiet day out in every respect. No wind or rain just quite peaceful. Washing on, no cooking or baking today, will have a rest but goodness knows what I shall do. Thank goodness it's nice will have a wander around the garden. Happy Anniversary Oldgoat - hope you both have a nice day. Nice to hear from you Elizabeth 1 hope everything is progressing for you. Thinking of everyone with anxieties and troubles more than we normally have. Take care everyone

Auntieflo Sun 29-Mar-20 08:46:42

Good morning Michael, Annie and all, from a sunny but chilly Berks.
When we get out of bed, we will be having bacon baps for breakfast. I made the baps yesterday, and felt quite chuffed with myself. Next time, I will do as Marydoll is going to do, and leave them to rise overnight.
Happy Anniversary Old Goat, flowers
Well done to Elizabeth1, on your recovery journey.
Our DD emailed yesterday and said that she had had a 75 minute wait in a queue at the chemist. I just hope she didn't get back ache, or worse.
We will listen to our Church service later. Last week I really enjoyed it, and will light a candle again, at 8 pm.
Spoke to DS2 last night with Face Time or something , and we managed to have a decent conversation without DGS taking over. He was too busy eating an ice lolly!
Well, I have taken my weekly tablet, and drunk my first cup of tea, so now it's time to face the day, whatever it brings.
Thinking of Gillybob, and all those with much bigger challenges than mine.
Have a good day one and all. Take care and stay safe.

Grandmafrench Sun 29-Mar-20 08:44:42

A very good morning all. Happy Anniversary oldgoat, and scentia so glad you’re feeling better. But seriously stay off ladders, please.

I’m looking forward to the garden, in 19 degrees here later and I have a good book. All calm here after I’ve had a very frightening 24 hours. Fractured a rib whilst overreaching against a wooden chair arm. Very painful but under control. Two days later I perched on the edge of the couch and slumped sideways without thinking. Pain so acute couldn’t move, couldn’t get up, couldn’t breathe. Ultimately DH got me onto upright chair. Never take pills but persuaded to take paracetamol. Half an hour later comfortable enough to stand and iron 3 shirts. Suddenly couldn’t lift both arms, peripheral vision went black, managed to walk into bedroom, couldn’t speak for fainting and nausea. Head down on bed, I soaked a pillow, the coverlet, all my clothing with sweat. I was wet through, shaking with cold and shock, and my DH - truly frightened - wanted to call the Emergency services. I actually thought I might die but pleaded not to go to hospital ..... that’s how scared I am of the virus. DH looked at the paracetamol boxes we have. He’d carefully used an open box of paracetamol, it was similar to others in our cabinet BUT paracetamol with Codeine. I’d had a bad reaction to Codeine once before in my life but nothing like that. Hours being sick followed and nausea into the night. Next day still some nausea and a bad stomach. So relieved to be sitting up now feeling normal again and looking forward to today, lockdown or not.

Yesterday, I decided that I couldn’t read any news. Pointless, frightening and there’s nothing I can do. I want some human interaction and to share (again) in the lives of others, so until we are all set free again I’m going to pray that everyone stays well, stays positive and looks forward. As an earlier poster said, we’ve never done this before. But I know we can do this. Happy Sunday! ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 29-Mar-20 08:44:05

Happy Anniversary oldgoats ???

12Michael Sun 29-Mar-20 08:44:04

I suppose semi isolate means I do go out maybe a small walk, or shop, then return home and stay put.
Mick
PS: On a mental note also staying in contact with things like Gransnet