Gransnet forums

Chat

Another moan about husbands - sorry!

(158 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 30-Mar-20 13:45:12

I do hope Grandad isn’t lurking to leap onto this thread but I really have to let off steam somehow. I’m in the vulnerable group and my husband is looking after me wonderfully but he’s driving me mad literally!

I made a shopping list and he’s been shopping but decided what he would get, not necessarily what I wanted! He’s now returned and obsessively taking everything out of their packets and rewrapping them in cling film! Biscuits! They’ll all go soft immediately! He insisted on going to Booths which is very expensive compared to Aldi and doesn’t have everything I wanted. I know, I know this is terrible of me moaning about it but he is driving me mad. Please tell me I’m not on my own and I won’t get told off?

Curlywhirly Tue 31-Mar-20 23:14:10

Well my husband would be the first to admit he hasn't got the shopping gene (he hates it so much that he asks me to buy his clothes for him!). He came with me once when I was looking for a wedding outfit a I wanted his opinion. I tried about 4 outfits on in the first shop. None was right, so I thanked the assistant and left empty handed. Well, he was genuinely shocked! He thought it was very bad manners to take up the assistant's time and then not buy anything! You can definitely tell where shopping is concerned, he has lead a very sheltered life.

janipat Wed 01-Apr-20 00:07:24

I would hope that grandad would acknowledge the largest group of essential workers, laying their lives on the line, are nurses and care workers, who are in the most part women. I have a family member nursing virus patients, that truly is laying your life on the line, along with the cleaners who are coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. Don't suppose the lorry drivers have quite the same level of risk, although I obviously recognise the importance of the essential job they're doing.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 00:07:54

DH used to ask me to buy shoes for him in the early days of our marriage. I used to ask if I could take his feet with me, then I would.
But let him loose in B&Q or a bookshop and he wouldn't notice if I'd got fed up and caught the bus home.

Davidhs Wed 01-Apr-20 07:17:51

Most men definitely don’t have the shopping gene, years ago I did go shopping with my wife once - I was never asked again!
A few weeks ago I accompanied my new OH shopping she described it as speed shopping. I had a list and picked up nothing more, not her idea of a shopping adventure.
LOL

MamaCaz Wed 01-Apr-20 08:30:14

When OH goes to the supermarket with me, I am the one 'speed shopping'. I don't take a list with me, because I tend to buy much the same things every time and know exactly where to find them. OH, on the other hand, lags behind, picking up anything that catches his attention and studying it in detail. If I do need him (to ask if he wants or needs a particular product), he is nowhere to be seen
It is particularly amusing when he starts looking for me. I might be walking along the top of the aisles looking for him, while he is walking along the bottom of the same aisles looking for me. I see him look towards me, I wave like an idiot, but he doesn't see me, so moves on to the next aisle where the same happens again - I end up having to race about three aisles ahead and run down one to meet him face to face, otherwise we would never meet again!

On one occasion, I did actually get Customer Services to put put out a call for him, telling him exactly where to go ?

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 08:31:25

I agree - the shopping gene appears to be missing from my DH and my sons, although funnily enough they’re more than happy to spend hours in the Apple store hmm

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 08:34:10

janipat there is a simple explanation.
NHS front line workers, predominantly women.
Haulage industry, not so much

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 08:36:14

MamaCaz maybe you could tie a balloon to your coat sleeve? grin

MamaCaz Wed 01-Apr-20 08:48:11

GrannyLaine

I could, but I already get strange enough looks from other shoppers as I do my "look this way, I'm here" dance.
(Which any aliens studying us from a distance might conclude is some kind of human mating display!) ?

Grandad1943 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:11:37

In regard to the above posts, Obviously the health profession is the very front line of this crisis. However, transport and distribution are essential in the support of health workers and in the movement of goods such as food into the retail chain.

The key element in transport are the distribution centres where often hundreds work on each shift as pickers and product handlers. In those centres social distancing is impossible and therefore the chances infection are high.

In the above, up until this point, there would seem to be no major outbreak of Covid-19 in any of the food distribution centres for it would be very worrying should that begin to occur.

In regard to HGV drivers, they are continually going back and forth to those centres and working closely with other workers when their vehicles are being loaded and unloaded, when again social distancing is often impossible.

Perhaps the greatest health risk to drivers would be that the service areas where they often have to take their rest breaks are closed down which includes the toilets areas. Portaloos have been left for drivers use which have no running water for those using them to even wash their hands. Therefore those drivers have nothing better than wet wipes for use when they can get them.

Many companies involved in the support of the distribution industry including our own have contacted the Health & Safety Executive to draw their attention to the above and hopefully, it will be addressed.

A large percentage of employees in distribution centres are women, while approximately ten percent of heavy goods drivers are women.

We should also think of those in water supply in regard to key workers and especially those in the sewage treatment plants throughout the country. The risk of infection in those plants is very high in normal times, but in the present situation it is "off the scale"

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 09:13:49

Grandad
I rest my case.

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 09:18:26

MamaCaz but surely you need to spare the man the anxiety of not being able to find you? If you've had to resort to having a tannoy message put out...........
I think you can rise above the strange looks.

Grandad1943 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:34:35

GrannyLaine Quote [Grandad
I rest my case.]End Quote.

You rest your case in what.???.??

janipat Wed 01-Apr-20 09:47:24

And of course NHS and care workers can practice social distancing with ease for the whole of their work day! One line about a predominantly female risk area, 7 paragraphs about male dominated areas. And denies any bias..............

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 09:54:57

Thanks janipat you have summed it up beautifully.

Grandad1943 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:02:46

Janipat in your post @00:07 today you referred to what you believed were the lower health risk for transport workers especially drivers.

Therefore I acknowledged the "front line work" of the health worker and the fact that social distancing cannot be carried out in that work is obvious and has been well published.

I then addressed the present health risks to distribution centre employees and the dire sanitation problems of heavy goods drivers in the present crisis.

I also addressed the heightened problems of workers in the water treatment industry at this time.

What more did you wish for janipat in you post @00:07 as I feel I addressed all you referred to and more very adequately?

Grandad1943 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:07:06

I think we have again in this thread at least two forum members trying to restart a row.

However, I have work to do in support of key workers, so such a row will not be forthcoming from me in the hours to come. ???

How disappointed they are going to be.?

Davidhs Wed 01-Apr-20 10:22:18

There are other careers that have a life risk where we put our lives on the lines for our society. Here are a few

Armed forces
Police
Fire services

Health workers also have that risk and at present their sacrifices are more than usual, the risk goes with the job.

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Apr-20 10:22:27

Man with a van harrumphs off/exits stage left !

janipat Wed 01-Apr-20 10:23:04

Grandad No I don't want to start a row, and I'm insulted by your baseless accusation. I can't see where you have acknowledged that social distancing is totally impossible in the NHS and care work, and therefore far more dangerous. When a poster resorts to insult, crying with laughter and winking emojis I accept they have no reasoned points to make. Now off to support my care workers by making some fabric masks to attempt some slight level of protection for them.
Sorry to disappoint you!

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 10:23:14

They should be providing hand sanitizer in the portaloos, if available of course.
When I have used a portaloo there has usually been a hand sanitizer container attached to the wall.

I did think about the workers in the sewage industry this morning, before I read this and wondered about the possibility of contamination, hoping that they have all the right gear.

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 10:25:00

Grandad

I feel I addressed all you referred to and more very adequately?

And therein lies the problem. Less is more.

janipat Wed 01-Apr-20 10:26:04

Davidhs as someone with police in the family I'm well aware of the risks he takes on a daily basis, without this coronavirus, but his risk of infection is considerably lower than my nursing family. And I'd put shop workers at a higher risk than him too.

Callistemon Wed 01-Apr-20 10:27:31

Davidhs
Pharmacists too, dealing with long queues of possibly sick people and suffering verbal abuse from the occasional unpleasant person.

Grandad1943 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:39:14

Grandad1943 @10:03 today Quote, [ Therefore I acknowledged the "front line work" of the health workers and the fact that social distancing cannot be carried out in that work is obvious and has been well published.] End Quote.

janipat @10:23 today Quote [I can't see where you have acknowledged that social distancing is totally impossible in the NHS and care work] End Quote.

There is an old adage which states " there is none so blind as those that do not wish to see".

Now, coffee break over, head down and back to work.