Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Wed 01-Apr-20 06:12:27

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight but looks dry , cold be a little bit warmer and spring like with blossom and buds showing on nearby trees .
Today, will walk the short distance to Waitrose , que maybe and get some essential toiletries mainly , shaving cream , and shower gel.
Apart from that stay in , hope I have some mail as well.
Mick

GrannySomerset Wed 01-Apr-20 09:45:47

Grey and cold when I went out to retrieve the recycling containers. Notice they have not picked up the cardboard and wonder whether they will. Will leave it out for a bit longer.

Did nothing yesterday and feel worse for it so will get to grips with the new vacuum cleaner, at least downstairs. That and floor washing will make me feel as though I have done something useful.

Thinking of our many posters with real problems and wishing everyone a positive day.

EBear Wed 01-Apr-20 09:50:16

Good morning from a grey, cold Norfolk.

Tesco delivery last night so sorting the freezer day today to do a meal plan.

DS, DD, and DGS facetimed last night all together which was nice almost like being together.

I have several knitting and sewing projects on the go but can't seem to settle to one maybe as time goes on it will get easier.

The garden is looking lovely now, such a shame that growers will have to dispose of all the bedding plants.

Going out for a walk later to get some fresh air, even though I have a lovely garden it makes DH and me feel a bit better.

Hope everyone stays safe and well.

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Apr-20 09:56:31

Morning everyone, Had a really positive day in the garden yesterday in very warm sunshine (out of the wind). Only able to potter as guarding my rib. DH helped move lots of pots and I deadheaded and fed plants. Lots of flowers on my succulents, tulips very pretty and the good old night scented stock from last year still fills the garden with perfume at night.

Made a smashing loaf of Nigel Slater bread which I shall cut in half and freeze part for bakery emergencies! No potatoes for Mary ‘s Maccie Bars, sadly - the recipe for which reminded me of being fooled by Panorama’s “spaghetti tree” April Fool’s joke all those years ago. Most of us then only hesitated slightly because it was Panorama!!! How times have changed!

Off on holiday today! Had quite enough of this lockdown now!

Have changed the linen and so........off to another bedroom tonight, different view, different bed. Same excellent DH room service, hopefully.

Before then need to stocktake in our fridge and keep a list of what’s needed - otherwise ‘people’ may go out shopping this week and come back with the wrong stuff!

Have the very best day. Try to stay positive in sickness and health. Huge hugs and well wishes to all who need it. X

GabriellaG54 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:57:42

Good morning from a sunny clear blue-skied Godalming.
My invigorating run started at 5.10 when I woke up, earlier than usual. There were a couple of others en route (riverside) going the opposite way and, when I got to town I sat for a bit and had a Tesco breakfast bar (delicious) and water before the return run.
Looks like an idle day...may sit in the courtyard and read as nothing else on.
I placed an Amazon order last night and noted the delivery date was 28th April ??
Fired off an email to seller asking why it would take 4weeks to get a parcel from Birmingham to Godalming, Surrey.
2 hrs later about 9.30 an email, ' We're pleased to tell you that your parcel will arrive tomorrow, before 9pm'.
??
Vac'd and washed all lampshades yesterday for something to do, it's getting ridiculous.
I might go to the fruit n veg stall in the Pepperpot shortly. Fresh raspberries and ice cream for pudding...I hope. ??☺️
I hope you're all finding stuff to do and keeping positive in mind body and spirit.
To all those who are desperately wanting to return and waiting for flights, I hope it's sooner rather than later but from what the media puts out, it will mean a fortnight being quarantined on landing. Some flights are charging £8-20k... unbelievable!!
???to all who are feeling lonely, unwell and anxious re family situations. TG for GN at times like this and thanks to all at GNHQ ? who understand our frustrations which are evident in our posts.
Take care, stay safe.

Taichinan Wed 01-Apr-20 10:21:16

Auntieflo your elderly neighbour must be feeling very alone after losing her husband so recently, and then her dog too. Lovely that she felt she could phone you for a chat - you must be lovely neighbours to her ?

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-20 10:22:02

Good morning from the NE coast where it’s grey and miserable (a bit like my mood). Had a rotten night of bad dreams, little sleep and lots of tears. I think it’s the hopelessness and the non ending ness that is getting to me.

It’s 4 years today since I lost my mam. She was only 73 . She was in my dreams last night Happy and smiling. sad

I’m doing a big shop for my dad and ourselves today. Well I say big shop, that obviously depends what is left on the shelves when I get there. I’ve got my dads meals planned for the week which is one less thing to worry about and I’ve arranged for his prescriptions to be delivered direct . Of course my sister did drop off that shepherds pie earlier in the week wink so he should be fine.

Later today I am going to start cancelling most of the direct debits for work and home as there will be no money to pay them . Tried for hours again yesterday to speak to council tax office, the bank etc. But ended up sending more emails . Had worrying email from insurance company regarding the business insurance and the fact that they almost expect break-ins . Not sure what else I can do to make the place more secure? More worry.

Anyway I’m just finishing another cuppa then I’m off out .

Wishing everyone the best day possible in these awful circumstances we find ourselves in .

Love Gillybob xx

Grandmafrench Wed 01-Apr-20 10:28:36

Your lovely Mam was probably trying to tell you it’s going to be alright, gilly. You can only do your best...try to think about yourself (and you could always ask your selfless Sister to make an extra pie and drop it on your front step next time she remembers she’s still got a Dad). TAKE CARE, big hugs for you. x

Kalu Wed 01-Apr-20 10:37:11

Good morning all from a grey day in Glasgow which isn’t a great mood lifter.

I’m having a lazy start to the day so far, still in my goonie and feeling quite decadent. I awoke to DH’s Spotify choice...Christmas collections?

I never thought a supermarket trip would be the highlight of my day. DH has been doing any shopping but I need a change of scenery today. So many things we took for granted, even moaned about, now seem like a treat. Strange days indeed!

Have the best day you can everyone.

EllanVannin Wed 01-Apr-20 10:41:45

Good Morning All x
I did say " White Rabbits " to myself earlier. smile April already !
This time last year I was getting excited with the family visit from Oz in June. Good job it's not this year.

Dull and grey out there today and though not too cold though because the sun's not out, it appears colder.
Well I'm alright food-wise for the rest of the week, but how I'll get on next week remains to be seen----but no use worrying at this juncture.

I should get cracking with more sorting really because once the weather improves I won't want to be doing much indoors with a park and prom on the doorstep.

The news doesn't get any better. For the first hour of getting up earlier I just pottered around before switching on, then had my breakfast before watching flags being lowered in Rome for the amount of people who'd lost their lives.

Nothing much doing apart from preparing dinner ( corned beef hash ) I might nip out for a cabbage which will do me today with the hash and tomorrow with bacon and mashed potato----all easy enough and also nourishing. I don't feel as though I've eaten unless I have a cooked meal daily.

As usual I hope everyone's well and coping alright although I think we're entitled to the odd wobble now and again.
Stay safe and well everyone xx

gillybob Wed 01-Apr-20 10:50:43

Thank you for those kind words GrandmaFrench smile

essjay Wed 01-Apr-20 11:00:31

its a bit dull and dreary here in cheshire, but never mind i have already been to the zoo and new zealand, courtesy of virtual tours, no need for social distancing and no aching legs after all that walkinggrin. Have a healthy, happy safe day everyone.

Theoddbird Wed 01-Apr-20 11:12:43

Good morning. It is rather overcast here on the river..no sparking water today. Hopefully later. I have to cut wood today...my old jetty. It has kept me warm through the colder weather. I have an electric reciprocating saw. Usually cut enough for a few days. My Mr Motivator DVD is due to arrive today so later a walk to my post box to get it. Need more exercise. Walking is rather boring alone. I do take food for the river birds with me. I don't have to social distance from them and they are happy to listen when I talk to them....

CherryCezzy Wed 01-Apr-20 11:16:09

Morning Mick and all from a cold, cloudy but sprinkling of blue sky day in the Gower.
I empathise with everyone having sleep disrupted nights ?
All the soups and stews a lot of you are making sound yummy. I am going to make a ham and lentil soup to have later today.
Marydoll and dragonfly I had the dreaded letter yesterday too. It was 8 pages worth but 4 of them were in Welsh ?. I knew it would come but still hoped it wouldn't, if that makes sense. I really wanted it not to come because it means that my WP is, by default, also confined by it as I can't be left on my own for very long at all which means he's unable to go out to shop, get both our prescriptions or exercise. It feels so unfair ? and it makes me feel as if is my fault. I have named this she?shielding period the ' high security solitary confinement' because it sounds so much more ridiculous there will be times that I can laugh at the situation ?
Take care everyone, stay safe ❤️

CherryCezzy Wed 01-Apr-20 11:18:10

There should be no she in there hmm

CherryCezzy Wed 01-Apr-20 11:20:22

Meant to say thank you for your message yesterday Susan flowers

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:21:34

Gilly flowers

Marydoll Wed 01-Apr-20 11:22:54

I was a bit perturbed that the Scottish letter came out at least a week after the English ones. My 10 pages, (one mostly blank), was signed by the Scottish Chief Medical Officer.

I understand what you are saying about feeling guilty,*CherryCezzy*, but that's what we sign up for when we are in a relationship, in sickness and in ill health and all that. We will get through it.

I have just been sitting needlessly by the phone for the last twenty minutes waiting for my cardiac telephone consultation .... it's tomorrow. blush

farview Wed 01-Apr-20 11:31:00

Morning everyone..stay safe..Marydoll the picture in my head now of a Camp Glasgow will make me smile all day...prayers for all with anxiety/troubles1??

Barmeyoldbat Wed 01-Apr-20 11:31:31

CherryCezzy, I just love ham and lentil soup, I could eat it every day with fresh crusty bread. Wasn't going to do much today but have decided to make some lentil and ham soup. Thanks Cherry.
Its dry, fairly bright but cold here in North Somerset. I don't intend to do much today as I have overdone it the last few days cycling, so today I will give it a miss. But on second thoughts think I might go to the veg shop for my daily exercise and get some raspberries, someone mentioned them on this thread, but I will have mine with homemade yogurt.
Its trying times but it also giving us the opportunity to try new things, I am for instance trying a new hair style that won't need so much cutting. Keep safe and happy.

Scentia Wed 01-Apr-20 11:33:51

CherryCezzy
I thought ’She Shielding’ was another of your invented terms like WP?

CherryCezzy Wed 01-Apr-20 11:41:55

Thanks for the gentle reminder Marydoll my WP is so supportive of it all and has reassured me that the most important thing in all this is each other. I once actually went to a hospital appointment one week early once blush so I don't think you should be embarrassed.
I meant to say earlier re. Sainsbury's that I too had a look for that yesterday and found a free phone number but it was England only. As far as I'm aware they are not doing it in Wales, at least not yet and I've no idea if they are doing it in Scotland but I googled ' Sainsbury's priority slots vulnerable shoppers '.

Jaan12 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:53:16

Good morning from Fife. Quite spring-like here today. This morning using the vacuum cleaner and dusting. Friend phoned offering to get me some groceries. Daffodils in full bloom in garden so will be replenishing those that are fading in vase. Will give my friend a bunch when she brings the items from Asda. Keep safe everyone.

Auntieflo Wed 01-Apr-20 12:02:17

Taichinan, thank you for that ?.
We are lucky that all of our neighbours, except the Grumpys, are very 'getonable' with.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 01-Apr-20 12:02:22

Good morning, only just in time. I put the bins out last night as I thought yesterday was Wednesday. I also slept through the alarm which is very strange. Normally I don’t set an alarm at as the general activity outside wakens me up and I hear one of my neighbours in particular set off to work just after seven and his children call goodbye to him, which is nicer to waken up to than Alexa. My neighbour dropped off some essentials to me yesterday and added some cake which was so kind. marydoll. thank you for the recipe. It is the same as my mum’s. I don’t know where her, mostly handwritten, recipe book went so I had forgotten this. I will make the bars tomorrow. My mum (from Glasgow) also used to make something called “Albert Cake”. The only people I know to have made or heard of this were my mum, aunties and granny.
urmston. Hang on in there and stay safe; the news from Spain is unbearably sad. Be safe.
??????? to everyone especially if you don’t have a garden, the one thing that is keeping me ok.

whywhywhy Wed 01-Apr-20 12:12:33

Good afternoon from a cloudy and grey Market Harborough.

I’ve been out for a 40 minute walk and didn’t see one person, which is good.

Sending love and hug to all who are suffering illness, depression or just plain stir crazy. I’m not mad yet! X