Gransnet forums

Chat

Conspiracy Theories

(158 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:37:59

During this worrying time a number of conspiracy theories are emerging so which ones, if any, do you believe? Some I have heard are:

The virus has been manufactured and released

By China (for what reason is unclear)

By a group of businessmen wanting to take over the world

By a mad billionare who wants to infect as many people as possible and then sell the cure and make a fortune

By various governments who will eventually state everyone has to have a chip inserted under their skin which will enable them to control and enslave us

Daisymae Sat 04-Apr-20 10:27:43

Conspiracy or not there's an interesting and we'll written article in the Mail today about China's stated aim to world leadership. They are well on the way.

Franbern Sat 04-Apr-20 10:47:35

Oh my....anybody even reading anything in the DM, is just reading fake news and panic news.

Firecracker123 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:53:47

Oh my... must be wonderful to know it all lol.

sodapop Sat 04-Apr-20 12:34:48

Not intended to be at all provocative then Oldwoman ?

Oldwoman70 Sat 04-Apr-20 12:49:53

No sodapop not at all

vampirequeen Sat 04-Apr-20 13:11:43

I think Gransnet has been infiltrated by a fifth column of millennials whose aim is to sow the seeds of dissention and distrust into our midst so that we, the great grey panthers, don't turn our wrath upon them and demand the rights and recognitions that should come to us for being older and wiser.

We should join forces against this onslaught by forming the BTDTGTT (Been there, done that, got the teeshirt) and point out to the little blighters that there's nothing new in the world. It's only new to them as they have so little life experience. United we stand, divided we fall!

Daisymae Sat 04-Apr-20 13:59:32

Yes, there's a lot of panic inducing headlines in the DM which they need to stop, but I was referring to a well written, thoughtful article.

Mbuya Thu 09-Apr-20 03:58:56

I am trying to stop paying attention to conspiracy theories. Life is too short.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Apr-20 05:58:14

Please read a real newspaper. The DM is a comic - so save your pennies and use this amusing alternative:

www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 10:38:30

I second your point about the Daily Heil Hetty58. A right-wing, red-top rag. I'm not above looking at it, if it's in a cafe or waiting room (oh happy days when we went places outside the house!) but it invariably disgusts or enrages me.

POGS Thu 09-Apr-20 11:34:42

For goodness sake, get a grip.

Even GN has posters have posted conspiracy theories, misinformation, it deserves challenging.

The problem is if you are gullable enough to believe in conspiracy theories nobody will change your mind so therein lies how conspiracy theories get formed.

THEY ARE PROPAGANDA used by malevolent forces to disrupt world order and there are plenty of willing idiots who will do their bidding.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 11:35:57

I think on here at the moment, POGS, it's just a bit of fun. At least, that is how I'm taking it. People aren't SERIOUS about it are they?

Hetty58 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:16:13

Onelifeletsliveit, what are you thinking? Why oh why are you helping the elderly and lecturing us? Your duty is to remain at home and isolate with your lung problems.

Why disobey government guidelines? I'm not a fan of the Tories but I obey all the rules. I don't think I know better.

If I was irresponsible and caught the virus, apart from spreading it, I might deny somebody else a ventilator (that's if I was lucky enough to get one).

3nanny6 Thu 09-Apr-20 12:24:12

I still want to know why North Korea have remained untouched by this pandemic. Everybody has had cases but not them. Someone tell me why.

Chestnut Thu 09-Apr-20 12:30:29

3nanny6 - Presumably because no-one has entered the country with the virus. They must have prevented this happening.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:06:03

3nanny6, they're probably being as honest as China about it!

sodapop Thu 09-Apr-20 14:40:10

Why are we considered gullible to look at alternative scenarios POGS?

Elegran Thu 09-Apr-20 15:23:30

Perhaps North Korea have no confirmed cases because it is forbidden, and as no-one there does anything that is forbidden, they are not testing for it?

rosecarmel Sun 12-Apr-20 16:48:22

I learned a new term today, used in reference to N. Korea's Supreme People's Assembly: Cosplay Democracy

Hahahahahahaha!!!

OurKid1 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:59:09

M0NICA I've always thought the thing which affected the Skripals and killed that other poor lady were something which had been formulated in Porton Down. Likewise I am a subscriber to the theory that CV19 is something which, probably through negligence, got out of a lab somewhere in Wuhan.
Having said that, I'd decided to ignore all such theories in the interests of my own mental health - until now that is. It's difficult when we're surrounded by such uncertain times with no end in sight. Basically I'm frightened - not that I, or any of my loved ones, will get it, but what exactly all this means and what it will ultimately lead to. Strange doesn't even begin to cover it.

sodapop Sun 12-Apr-20 17:03:35

Be careful Ourkid1 There is little tolerance on here for theories other than the Pangolin one.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Apr-20 17:04:22

?

rosecarmel Sun 12-Apr-20 17:06:36

Another theory .. smile

sodapop Sun 12-Apr-20 20:34:21

And your point is rosecarmel ?

rosecarmel Sun 12-Apr-20 20:38:38

That what you said is yet another theory to add to the thread!? smile