Gransnet forums

Chat

Conspiracy Theories

(158 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:37:59

During this worrying time a number of conspiracy theories are emerging so which ones, if any, do you believe? Some I have heard are:

The virus has been manufactured and released

By China (for what reason is unclear)

By a group of businessmen wanting to take over the world

By a mad billionare who wants to infect as many people as possible and then sell the cure and make a fortune

By various governments who will eventually state everyone has to have a chip inserted under their skin which will enable them to control and enslave us

M0nica Sun 12-Apr-20 22:55:56

The poison used to attempt to murder the Skripals was brought into the country by agents of the Russian state. They left a trail, were caught on CCTV and have been identified as serving Russian army officers.

The story about Porton Down was fake news from a Russian source.

As far as Covid-19 is concerned, where it started is irrelevant. How to deal with it is all that matters at the moment.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Apr-20 07:17:34

Or was the Russian involvement fake news to cover our backs. That's the great thing about conspiracy theories. You can switch them anyway you like.

M0nica Mon 13-Apr-20 08:45:40

There were facts and photos to back up the Russian story. Porton Down was pure speculation without evidence.

This is the whole point of fake news, to make you doubt the real story. Neither we, nor the US had any reason to harm the Skripals. Russia, especially under Putin, has a reputation for taking out, or trying to take out any security service citizens who defect to the west.

Forty years ago I was acquainted with the family of someone who had defected from the USSR. He and his family lived in the same town and his children came to the activities my group organised. We never knew his real name, he had changed it after defecting. We never even met him. Only his wife ever brought the children and we did not know their home address. All communications went through a work colleague. He worked at a local defence establishment.

My money is on the Russians.

Witzend Mon 13-Apr-20 09:04:40

It’s God, punishing us for screwing up the planet.,

OK, I made that one up, but I dare say someone’s said it.
I’m reminded of post-tsunami Aceh, where a dd was working, and a local imam insisted that it was the wrath of Allah, because they’d allowed such ungodly things as cinemas and swimming pools.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Apr-20 10:54:08

But photos can be faked grin. See that's the beauty of a conspiracy theory. You don't need any evidence you simply have to point out how the other view could be wrong grin.

Some US pastors are saying it's a punishment from God, Witzend. Apparently he doesn't like gay people so has produced a virus that attacks all people. I don't understand this loving God who punishes those who don't fit in with the right wing, fundamentalist norm. I always thought God was an Englishman. Fair play, cricket, live and let live as long as you don't scare the horses and all that. Has God emigrated? grin

Lynnipinny Tue 14-Apr-20 10:00:29

This is not a conspiracy theory people illegally trading in wild animals usually not classed as fit for human consumption (important) caused this virus. A CORONA or SARS type virus in these wild animals transferred into the other foods in the market. When it was consumed it passed into humans hence the spread. It's not the fault of animals and this trade is still allowed to go on. The movement of Nationals back to this country and elsewhere created the pandemic.

vampirequeen Tue 14-Apr-20 10:09:46

How do you know this? Could you provide evidence please?