Gransnet forums

Chat

No motivation to do anything.

(18 Posts)
tinaf1 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:22:02

Thanks Hetty I will try and find out

BradfordLass73 Thu 02-Apr-20 22:20:51

In my experience, most of us who formerly had very active lives, also didn't get the amount and level of sleep we needed.
So now's the time to cancel your 'sleep debt', because it will all come to a halt one day.

I agree with most posts above which say 'don't feel guilty' allow yourself to enjoy the leisure which you sometimes longed for when you were working and exhausted.

Sorting out cupboards can wait; pick up a good book or watch TV, listen to music, pamper yourself a bit.

Tell yourself these are the GOOD things about being forced to stay at home.

I've just given you permission! grin

sodapop Thu 02-Apr-20 21:59:09

It seems the less I do the less I want to do. I set myself one extra task daily apart from the usual things and then have a small treat when its completed.
Sometimes it's necessary just to rest and recharge so don't worry Bopeep14

Hetty58 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:59:01

tinaf1, I have to take a long walk each morning with the dog. There's no choice. If I didn't, she'd just whine at me all day.

I wonder if somebody near you would like their dog walked? Many people are staying in. It's surprising how reliable we are for others (even dogs) when we can't be bothered just for ourselves.

Ohmother Thu 02-Apr-20 19:45:24

Every day is Sunday! ?

AGAA4 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:28:21

One walk and one job a day and the rest just do what you want

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 15:12:17

Think as time goes all we will all fall into some kind of rhythm and routine. Don’t rush it, take it easy until something triggers a surge of energy.

Charleygirl5 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:05:26

Bopeep snap!

I have spent forever sorting out online shopping for three households including my own and I have had enough of everything.

I have piles of clean clothes everywhere- I suppose it could be worse at least they have seen a washing machine andan outside rotary dryer.

tinaf1 Thu 02-Apr-20 15:04:17

I’m finding it really hard to do a daily walk for exercise its not something I normally do. I now feel like I should go for a walk everyday to get some fresh air and keep everything working so to speak, annoying thing is once I have done it I feel a lot better.

Harris27 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:59:38

I’ve been off nearly two weeks now and I’ve done little bits but can’t seem to get into any routine. I’m used to working and fitting everything in can’t seem to motivate myself.

Ohmother Thu 02-Apr-20 14:57:47

Try not to be following the ‘scrips’ we were given as children. Be good, work hard, don’t be lazy etc. When we get into crisis thinking it’s said we go back to being our child self and feelings of helplessness. Relax, calm and slip into Adult state that says, ‘ You know what? I can decide what’s good for me and make my own choices thank you!’ ?

Teetime Thu 02-Apr-20 14:52:07

I think our days should have a purpose and it need only be one thing a day that you promise yourself you will get done. Something perhaps that has been irritating you or causing you distress Promise yourself a reward after you have done it- chocolate biscuit, nice bath with smellies in it - whatever gets you going.

rosenoir Thu 02-Apr-20 14:51:59

You do not have to do anything worthwhile. If you want to sit and read, watch tv or craftwork or even absolutely sod all then so be it.

This will be over and we will be back to our usual routines, now is the time just to keep well.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Apr-20 14:49:05

I've only washed the bathroom so that'll do for today----I want to stretch the cleaning out another 11 weeks or so grin says I !

Septimia Thu 02-Apr-20 14:23:32

I'm like that most of the time, not just at the moment!

I find it helps if I pick one small job that won't take too long and aim to do that as my task for the day. I usually decide that while lying in bed in the morning!

If there's a bigger job to do, I'm often put off because there are usually several things that need doing first. So then my task for the day is to prepare for the main job by e.g. getting all the tools together, cleaning the whatever it is or gathering all the materials in one place. Breaking the job down into little bits makes it more achievable for me.

Then make a cuppa and enjoy a good book! You can feel virtuous because you've done something grin

Grammaretto Thu 02-Apr-20 14:19:19

It takes a while to get into a different routine. You could write yourself lists and give yourself a treat, which doesn't have to be edible, after a task.
Which reminds me I should get off here and go and plant some seeds.
Good luck and enjoy!! Don't feel guilty. That's no fun.

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:18:59

It is difficult to get motivated, I'd do better if I didn't spend so much time on GN Bopeepblush. I think the more time we have the easier it is to put things off.

You could start with just one cupboard, then admire your hard work and hopefully that will motivate you to do more.

Bopeep14 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:15:14

While I am at home on my own during the day now, since I no longer have my grandchild to look after, I am finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything worthwhile.

I could be cleaning out cupboards sorting out clothes, washing curtains, but I just seem to stick to everyday things.

Any ideas to get me motivated? I feel guilty as my husband is still at work.