Gransnet forums

Chat

Will today's younger generation start to grow there own

(84 Posts)
12Michael Fri 03-Apr-20 10:51:02

Considering the closeness to a war like situation although this time its a bug or sorts.
Will today's young family's , if they have a house and land with enough room to start to grow there own vegetable crops in order to survive.
And seeing and eating something they have produced themselves and not off a supermarket shelf
Mick

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:46:25

David what do you think would be the point in a young lad trying to get on in you or your mates' firms if you lot have clearly already decided when they walked in the door that they wont succeed or progress.

Do them a favour and stop pretending to offer opportunities when all you are doing is setting them up to fail so that you and your mates can congratulate yourselves on your self fulfilling prophecies

grannyactivist Sun 05-Apr-20 01:06:00

My small town has four large allotment areas, but there is nevertheless a seven year waiting list. No plots are ever passed on to friends and family, although some are swapped (large plot for small for example - with the council's permission) between plot holders.

One of my children has a large garden and keeps chickens (had ducks but the wily fox found a way in), another is a keen fisherman and has also just got a permit to lay three crab pots. Their brother has a small courtyard garden and manages to grow lots of salads and vegetables - and we have a very large, productive allotment that gives us ample fruit and veg to last the year round. At the moment we're harvesting potatoes, leeks and delicious purple sprouting broccoli.

As you can imagine there is a great deal of bartering that goes on when the family get together, especially in late summer. grin

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 22:19:29

Yes, there are.
So it is an ageist assumption.

It is a rather strange phenomenon though, but perhaps because those who have motivation and ambition are prepared to leave their comfort zone.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 22:13:06

Surely there are lazy, unmotivated people of all ages though?

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 22:09:28

hmm I would not say that the majority are like that, but I think you , David and some of my family have experienced some who may be. Not, however, apprentices, those intending to go to university or graduates who generally are keen and enthusiastic to take on any work in their holidays and gap years.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 21:18:12

Absolutely Maw. The graduates I interview in the NHS don’t bear any resemblance to that either. My DS is almost at the end of his Masters degree in engineering and will probably go into the energy sector, DD is 20 in her final year of nursing and about to complete her registration on the frontline. Their friends are all hardworking, motivated young adults who, once this nightmare is over, will hopefully have the same opportunities as experiences open to them as previous generations. That kind of ageism from Davidh is indeed cojones.

Summerlove Sat 04-Apr-20 20:34:03

Not being able to find apprentices has nothing to do with attention spans and everything to do with the misplaced perception that being in the trades is a fall back/not smart enough for an office job

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 20:24:50

Leadership, you can lead a horse to water you cannot make then drink.
I find and my friends that have businesses have concluded finding an apprentice into any of the building or technical trades, is almost impossible. At graduate level some courses are positively discriminating in favor if men because women have better qualifications

I blame doting parents that let them get away with it

curvygran Sat 04-Apr-20 20:17:50

Absolutely agree MawB ! As the mother of boys I suppose I’m biased but I’ve been in the teaching profession to be absolutely furious about Davidhs awful, sexist generalisation.

MawB Sat 04-Apr-20 20:12:43

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 12:28:58
Attention span, boys are worst, all they want is new experiences which is not what earning a living is about, most girls are fairly good

I cannot imagine what you base this ridiculous generalisation on, but I wouldn’t try voicing it the next time you are being treated by a junior doctor , nurse or HCA.
Am I allowed to say cojones ?

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:57:42

Not just in this country

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 19:49:12

Calli
I would not disagree with that.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:32:32

any employer will tell you the same story

It is my family's experience that young local people are rather like that, Davidhs but that those who are travelling or are emigrants, are quite different and hardworking.

Perhaps those who are enterprising move on.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 19:24:33

Not this employer Davidh smile. Sorry you’ve had this experience but you only have to look at how hard young people right across the country are working at the moment, both in paid and unpaid work, to know it’s far from a representative picture of them.

notanan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:43:23

Oh I dunno. Some employers would say that if youre not getting great results out of multiple people, its your leadership not your staff that is lacking wink

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 18:41:29

Voice of experience of employing teenagers, and it’s not much better at graduate level. It all comes down to the girls want to work and earn their own money, the boys are happy to sponge off parents and hang out.
Any employer will tell the same story

curvygran Sat 04-Apr-20 17:35:29

Davidhs what an incredibly sweeping generalisation! For goodness sake! I thought this was a really good thread up until I read that remark !

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 16:21:54

New experiences could include backpacking and working as you go in jobs you may never have thought of. Sadly not possible now.

Summerlove Sat 04-Apr-20 14:36:37

Also, what’s wrong with new experiences? I would think it’s what we all want on some scale? Surely that’s why people go on holiday?

Summerlove Sat 04-Apr-20 14:35:36

Davidhs I can’t even make sense Of your thought process.

This shouldn’t be about putting other generations down. We all do things differently.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 13:10:16

Davidhs speak for your own family.

Or are you referring to 5 year olds, in which a case it could be a reasonable assumption, although not all 5 year old boys have the attention span of only nano seconds.

A nano second is an extremely short unit of time btw. How did you measure it as it is extremely difficult unless you have the correct scientific equipment.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 12:36:06

Do you mean young men and young women? My son and daughter are both in their early 20s and I’m intrigued about this generalisation, knowing both my DCs and their friends of both sexes.

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 12:28:58

Attention span, boys are worst, all they want is new experiences which is not what earning a living is abou, most girls are fairly good.

Summerlove Sat 04-Apr-20 11:50:12

callistemon
Who said that Summerlove?

Davidhs did yesterday.

Sussexborn Sat 04-Apr-20 00:31:40

Both my girls have grown vegetables but my son doesn’t. I’ve got runner bean seeds from last year’s crop and bought tomato plants and seed packets before the virus took hold.

Lidl had some packs with four different vegetable seeds, compost and growing bags on Wednesday. At least one of our garden centres are offering a delivery service mainly for the vegetable seedlings which is preferable to them being left to rot.

Gardeners world tonight had an item on using various pots and containers to grow vegetables.

There is a waiting list for allotments around here but quite a few plots seem to be overgrown and neglected. Perhaps people will start to question more now that fruit and vegetables will be at a premium.