Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever put things in a safe place

(89 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 04-Apr-20 11:57:08

Anyone ever put important items in a safe place. Then discovered you have forgotten where you hid them lol or is it just me.

giulia Wed 08-Apr-20 13:34:04

Chewbacca Yes, that's probably the best idea, if I could work out how to use it. Not at all techy, moi.

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-Apr-20 23:14:10

I now photograph the hiding place and add a caption as to what is there, together with an audible reminder if it's needed for a particular date.

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-Apr-20 23:09:48

Beanie654321
That really made me ??, especially as I can picture your DH when he sees you waltz in with yet another 'find'.

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-Apr-20 23:05:49

Put £225 inside a DVD years ago and one of the AC took it to a car boot sale along with others I said he could have. Forgot that's where I'd hidden it and no idea why I hid it in the first place. ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-Apr-20 22:58:52

I put my spare keys in the outside keysafe. Now I can't remember the code.

Oopsminty Tue 07-Apr-20 22:08:03

I have a great many safe places

With lots of items there

When the children come to empty the house once we've slipped off this mortal coil, they will no doubt find a vast array of goods

Chewbacca Tue 07-Apr-20 21:49:07

Oh giulia, thats REALLY annoying. They sound beautiful; if you ever do find them, you could sell them on eBay or etsy perhaps? I hope they turn up. All that work shouldn't go to waste.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Apr-20 21:44:56

Oh, all that work for nothing.

They sound lovely, too.

giulia Tue 07-Apr-20 13:12:57

My saddest one is when I crocheted two curtains for the small Windows in my daughter's kitchen as a birthday surprise. They were difficult to make with an intricate grapevine design.

I put them in a safe place and of course never found them again.

Four years on, she has now moved and all her windows are large so, even if I do find them now, they are useless.

timetogo2016 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:34:32

Ps as i did my spelling
Place not plase.
Hunting not huntint.

timetogo2016 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:16:52

Well thank god it`s not just me.
Put in a safe plase £75 of £5 new notes 2 books of stamps, Christmas cards and a pair of shoes.
I was looking for the cash just yesterday and found a bottle of perfume i lost around 3 years ago so eventualy these thing will turn up whilst looking for something else.
DH has been looking for ages some razors he bought when they were on offer.
How strange life is.
Happy huntint to you all.

GreenGran78 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:06:57

Candelle I know many mothers who have done that, including myself. I left my firstborn outside the shops, and walked home. Luckily it was in the days when all prams were left outside, and I only lived two minutes away!

Candelle Sun 05-Apr-20 23:54:03

I had put our driving licences 'somewhere safe' prior to our holiday. We were flying then collecting a hire car. Or not - no licences....

We had to abandon the hire car and holidayed using trains, which actually worked really well.

Needless to say, within a day of our return, the licences turned up.

By the way, Seefah, I managed to temporarily 'lose' my six-week old baby, leaving her outside the supermarket fast asleep in her pram and..
driving home from another shopping trip years later, I managed to leave her in the shop. I do love her really!

Not the best mother...!

MissAdventure Sun 05-Apr-20 23:28:56

It's so annoying when you can almost see yourself putting it somewhere.
It's such a surprise when it's not there that you have to keep checking.

Chewbacca Sun 05-Apr-20 23:04:48

I'm currently driving myself mad trying to find something I bought in my weekly shop yesterday. I know I bought them. I know I put them in the glove box of my car. I know I brought them out of the car and brought them into the house. I've found one of them but cannot find the others. But where did I put them? Been searching the house all evening but can I find them? No! They've got to be in this house somewhere!

GreenGran78 Sun 05-Apr-20 22:56:55

I rarely lose things. I have a fireproof box in the bottom of my wardrobe for important documents, passports etc. and small valuables if we go away. A ring binder where I file the household stuff such as ca r and insurance documents and household bills. A box file for birthday cards and stamps and a designated drawer to store gifts bought in advance.
In spite of being so methodical I occasionally mislay everyday objects, which usually turn up after a short period of frantic searching.
I have two abiding mysteries, however. Firstly a book called Pyramids, by Terry Pritchett which was bought many years ago as a gift for my son. It disappeared, and has never turned up. Secondly the new prescription sunglasses which I bought 5 years ago for my trip to Australia. I’m positive that I packed them, but they also vanished into the ether, and have never surfaced in either country. I never hide things ‘in a safe place’, only my regular ones, so it’s a complete mystery where they went to. Spooky!

Thecatshatontgemat Sun 05-Apr-20 18:25:08

Standard procedure in this house.
I'm constantly amazed when they turn up, and l always say out loud "oh, there you are...."
And no: l never learn either.

MarieEliza Sun 05-Apr-20 17:40:06

I once got on a bus with my grandson from USA and halfway to the town I remembered I had left our family dog outside the local grocery store, fastened by his lead. Thankfully I could ring a friend who took him home.

sevenkidsnotv Sun 05-Apr-20 17:38:01

All the time , until I started writing them in my Diary, especially Theatre tickets or Birthday presents, I just make a note on the correct day.....Mary's Birthday, present in top of wardrobe.......Importance of Being Earnest, Tickets in dresser drawer.
It has saved me no end of panic and hassle, and turning out cupboards desperately looking for something. Lol

Seefah Sun 05-Apr-20 17:29:19

I’m always doing that !!! I did it with a building permit that was the worst ! We couldn’t start building because I lost it ! My husband was furious, very unlike him. ? After 3 days of praying and sorting papers I found it ? The latest is my birth certificate ! Went to my important file and zilch nada nishta. Had to send for another. So no you’re not the only one!! I blame drop in oestrogen which apparently helps memory , so you don’t leave your kids somewhere I suppose.

Happysexagenarian Sun 05-Apr-20 16:03:36

Yep I do it all the time, especially instruction manuals for household equipment. And still haven't found the £40 worth of postage stamps I bought two Christmases ago for cards! They'll turn up someday.

Blacktabby2 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:51:20

I bought a * a-z address book*. If l am putting something away for a while..l write in book where it. I keep the book where l can see it daily..in my knickers drawer!!!

Rosina Sun 05-Apr-20 13:37:49

Oh Belinda I think you have won today's prize!

MissAdventure Sun 05-Apr-20 13:37:08

grin

BelindaB Sun 05-Apr-20 13:31:37

My personal best in this category was finding a silver necklace bought for my daughter on her 12th birthday, I told her I would put it away until she was a little older....she is now 52!!!!

And yes, I put it in A Safe Place