Gransnet forums

Chat

There is NO logic to this!

(35 Posts)
phoenix Sat 04-Apr-20 14:24:31

Hello all, hope you are staying safe and well.

Can anyone explain why I am spending quite a bit of time cooking stuff today, so that I don't have to do it tomorrow? confused

After all, it's not as if I have anything pressing to do tomorrow, or anything at all for that matter, except 10 minutes of making a fool of myself dancing in the street at 11am.blush

phoenix Sat 04-Apr-20 22:59:48

Hello all!

Thank you for the responses.

With regard to the dancing, a lovely person in the village has organised communal dancing! Friday in the village square, Saturday in the Close next to ours,, Sunday in the one just along. She brings her sound system thing.

She also works in the local GP surgery 3 days a week, her shifts are 8.30am to 6pm.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 22:57:32

Always oats - for extra chew

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 22:46:57

MawB
Dancing in the street- It could be a Devon thing (why am I not surprised grin)

phoenix cooking the beef the day before- we had steak last week and they were larger than expected, so I used some rare steak to make beef Stroganoff on the Monday. It was good, though I say it myself, though I didn't have sour cream and used Greek yogurt.

MawB Sat 04-Apr-20 22:37:47

Ooh! Is it like the BIG CLAP?
Are we all dancing outside or am I going to look a complete pi**ock?
(Might do it on the patio at the back in case I am the only one around here ???)

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 22:30:37

Oats too? My biscuits had all that plus oats.
I weigh 7lbs more less

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 22:28:11

Bananas, nuts and virtuous flour - the weight is positively falling off me.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 22:26:34

You can eat that with peace of mind, knowing it's good for you SirChenjin. Even in biscuits.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 21:12:23

I feel a sort of affinity with women of my granny’s era during WW2 where I’m cooking from scratch using whatever ingredients I can find to keep my family fed - obviously I have it far easier than they did and I realise it’s not nearly the same thing, but I wonder if it’s a similar sort of feeling on some level? Not knowing what’s ahead, or for how long it’s going on, or whether people I know will die - and a horrible realisation that I have no control over anything. I may also be havering - I’ve had a sherry, which is never a good idea.

Also v impressed that you found almonds and flour rose - I could only buy one of the last packets of organic self raising wholemeal which looks and tastes very virtuous.

rosenoir Sat 04-Apr-20 21:09:01

I shopped in Aldi this week as it is my nearest supermarket,they had everything including toilet rolls.

Laughterlines Sat 04-Apr-20 21:07:09

Phoenix easy, because you might be busy tomorrow. As if..

GrannyLaine Sat 04-Apr-20 20:59:16

phoenix I wonder if it's about feeling in control, when so much of what's happening just now is completely outside our control? I find myself being much more careful about planning meals, eating really well and trying hard not to waste food. Or wine.....winewine

GrannyLaine Sat 04-Apr-20 20:52:26

Oh rosenoir, you and about eleventy million others! Not a single bag of flour of ANY description to be found in our Sainsburys at 9.15 today. It would be lovely to think that everyone is taking solace in preparing food from scratch once more.

Marydoll Sat 04-Apr-20 20:47:52

rosenoir how on earth did you manage to buy flour and eggs. None to be had in our town.
I will swap you for some loo rolls or a bottle of Prosecco. wink

rosenoir Sat 04-Apr-20 20:28:06

I live alone and have not baked for about 5 years but when I went shopping this week bought a large bag of flour ,almonds and eggs to bake a cake.Why?

annep1 Sat 04-Apr-20 20:08:53

We've had lots of banana cakes too. And carrot soup. Not used to online shopping. Ordered 3 bags of carrots.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:51:26

I'm beginning to wonder if this is following a pattern?

First the anticipation
Then the hilarity as everyone shared fun with videos and jokes.
Then the baking, the squirrel syndrome.
The frustration setting in, trying to get a grocery slot.
Finally the resignation this is going to be long haul.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:47:53

I've been baking too, all those over ripe bananas, banana biscuits, banana loaves, Scotch pancakes.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 19:46:27

What's happening at 11 am tomorrow?
Aee we all supposed to be dancing in the street?

I had better practise.

phoenix Sat 04-Apr-20 19:44:04

A lot of sense posted, thank you!

Haven't succumbed to baking, even though I make a pretty good scone (although I say it myself!) mainly because Mr P isn't one to eat cakes etc.

But yes, guilty as charged with regard to soup! blush I think that is the one thing that gives me that "domestic goddess" feeling, especially when it's the sort of "random vegetable" type!

(Although I did include some chicken, as Mr P seems to buy some every time he gets anywhere near a shop!)

Sar53 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:45:53

I never bake, but so far have made fruit scones, could do better !!! Tea loaf - delicious and yesterday chocolate brownies, absolutely wonderful with vanilla ice cream.
DH loves the new domestic goddess he's married to.
Watch this space smilesmile

notanan2 Sat 04-Apr-20 18:24:00

Youre being your "future friend" ?
Youre being kind to your tomorrow self etc ?

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 18:20:25

Yes to the baking - so much baking. My DSs have also started on it so we’re now the proud owners of two banana and pecan loaves which will probably be gone by this time tomorrow.

Marmight Sat 04-Apr-20 18:00:50

I think you just do what you want to do when the fancy takes you! I rarely bake but this week have made a carrot & courgette cake, a tea loaf and some muesli cookies. Why? No idea. I just felt like it ?. Trouble is, I’ll be the one eating them.

Marydoll Sat 04-Apr-20 17:46:31

I have been baking even more than usual, except no-one is allowed to visit.
I hate waste, so I will be the side of a house by the time I'm released. I may not be able to get through the front door, or the back door or even the double conservatory doors! ?

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 17:41:19

I’ve started to do this too - no idea why, boredom probably. I’ve also made more soup these last couple of weeks than I have in my entire life.