Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone else's internal clock gone up the Swanwee?

(49 Posts)
Evie64 Sun 05-Apr-20 02:43:29

Since the lock down and on the rota for the school where I work so occasionally working from home, my internal clock has lost it's mojo. I'm not sleeping at all well so I end up getting up at silly o'clock for a few hours, messing about on my laptop for a bit (like now for instance!), perhaps watching a bit of TV. Staying up for a few hours, eating breakfast/brunch and then going back to bed until lunchtime/early afternoon. Madness! I tried putting my alarm on so I could stick to a routine but I get into bed and toss and turn and worry for a bit, crash out for a couple of hours and then up again and sleep through the damn alarmsad. Still, I suppose that's not much to worry about in the great scheme of things happening today is it? Anyone else feeling the same?

grammargran Sun 05-Apr-20 12:35:53

Annaram1 Twin is really weird but very different from the usual Scandi Noir - worth staying awake for, I think - and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. No trouble sleeping, but my routine is shot to pieces, I have no self discipline whatsoever - still reading the paper at 11.30 am though up showered and breakfasted. So long as I can go to bed with one completed task under my belt, I’m fairly happy, be it vacuuming the stairs or a pile of ironing. Absolutely loads to do but no motivation at all. My husband thinks I should be gardening every waking minute - no, I was born to admire and appreciate gardens, not to work in them. I’m very good at keeping him plied with tea, though.

BoBo53 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:47:11

I’ve stopped watching the late news so am getting off to sleep better. Last couple of mornings though have been waking too early and am having a bit of a wobble today as I’m really missing the grandkids! Xxx

EllanVannin Sun 05-Apr-20 12:50:05

I must be the only one who it hasn't made any difference to ?
Start feeling heavy-eyed between 10.30 and 11pm as was usual then sleep through until, it seems, 10 past 7 each morning.

I didn't get jet lag either because I stuck to the UK times. When the landings have been early morning in Sydney I've continued until normal bedtime there as in the UK. That was after staying awake throughout the flight.

I used to say to my mum that I wasn't born--I was invented.

Esspee Sun 05-Apr-20 13:24:39

@glammanana you are going to be fine. This will pass.
We are here for you.

Esspee Sun 05-Apr-20 13:31:36

@annep1. You’ve lost your appetite? Do tell us how we can emulate your condition. Everyone I know is eating all day long!

Jaycee5 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:17:16

I have been sleeping quite well and not eating too much (I usually do through boredom) but last night I was awake most of the night. I think that it was worry about having to do another shop at the beginning of the week. Thankfully after several attempts I hit Sainsburys just after they had put new dates up and got a £3 one for Wednesday morning. As long as they have milk (they didn't last time I did an order) I won't have to go out or order again hopefully for about 3 weeks.
I'll know tonight whether that was the reason I couldn't sleep. I find once my sleep pattern gets messed up, it takes ages to get it turned around again.

Lucy127 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:28:26

I found something to do. May I share it with you. It’s something mindful. My days and nights are all over the place.
This is it:- Live at 10:00 am daily M-F, on Facebook is SHAC Shack with crafter Barbara Gray. It’s her attempt to help people focus on a bit of creative fun. All you need is a piece of paper, pencil and pen. And do some arty doodling. No art skills required at all. If you miss it you can watch recording any time on Facebook or YouTube or Claritystamp. It’s not ‘selly telly’. It’s great fun. It’s arty doodling with tips and so, so relaxing. You really do zone out and forget the world and your worries. Do check it out. I have big issues, huge, with grief, pain and serious ill health and it’s working for me. I’m on my own. Come and join in you won’t regret it.

clareken Sun 05-Apr-20 15:44:38

Talking to a work colleague yesterday, I am furloughed and she isn't, but they have gone down to a 4 day week. I said that the only way I know which day it is, is that I take medication every day, and have it sorted into a dosette box, which has the days on. She laughed then realised she didn't know if it was Friday or Saturday!

Flakesdayout Sun 05-Apr-20 16:32:58

My routine is awake early, lay awake -take first lot of medication, doze off, get up have breakfast, get on computer, shower and dress. Walk around garden as I cannot go out. Speak/text on phone to friends/family. Have lunch, possibly doze, read, or get on computer, watch tv. Make dinner, watch tv and then off to bed. Same routine each day but my partner is at home now so if he is lucky I may talk to him (ha! ha!)

Annaram1 Sun 05-Apr-20 16:46:48

Grammargran , thank you. but can you let me know how it actually finished? I'm dying to know!!!

Billybob4491 Sun 05-Apr-20 16:53:15

Glamma, I know how you feel I am in the same situation myself.

Fiachna50 Sun 05-Apr-20 17:22:39

Ive tried to keep to my usual routine as much as possible. Find I'm sleeping more, keep having to ask what day it is. I also feel as if Im permanently living in that funny inbetween time ending Boxing Day till Hogmanay. Thats what it feels like to me.

annep1 Sun 05-Apr-20 18:09:53

Espee I'm assuming it's because of the situation. I am still eating but not the same enthusiasm. Difficult to explain. I do have a large bag of chocolate buttons in the bedside drawer which I nibble. grin

craftyone Sun 05-Apr-20 18:51:44

At least now I know that I am definitely a lark, I go to bed when my eyes are closing 9.30 and I am up when I wake, usually at 6. I wake up in the night, every night, it is no different now. I eat a small oatcake and go straight back to sleep. I need to have the radio on low all through the night, lbc is good for that. Just the right volume to make me concentrate to hear the words and I don`t hear many

My days are running together, I do things every morning, gardening, a bit of tidying, a cycle ride. I have no idea what day it is but have a good inner sense about the time of day, except I get busy and no longer seem to want to eat at 12, more like 1.30 and a small meal later. Perhaps that is my body telling me to cut down

I have hobbies and am having some craving for sweet things, could be the stress from the media. I need to say that I am very glad to be alone in my nice cosy home, not worrying about my husband who would not have coped, with the whole space to call my own

I flit between tv, reading and radio, cannot concentrate

annep1 Sun 05-Apr-20 19:49:49

You sound very content Craftyone.

Evie64 Sun 05-Apr-20 20:10:40

Esspee, eating? Yes, I have worn a groove in the floor from the front room to my fridge!shock

HillyN Sun 05-Apr-20 20:16:24

Owls here! We are staying awake until gone 1a.m. watching Dave on the bedroom TV until we can't stay awake, and then not rousing until around 9. Breakfast in bed, usually getting dressed by 10.
I find myself wondering what day it is when I wake, as I always did, but then I remember it doesn't matter what day it is because I have no commitments. The only difference was today when we had our online church service, but not until 11.
I think I'm sleeping better because my body knows there is nothing to get up for.

Shizam Sun 05-Apr-20 21:05:14

I listen to podcasts when I can’t sleep. Nothing too exciting. Claire balding with ramblings is quite soothing on bbc sounds. Or a book of the week omnibus. Keep well all of you.

jerseygirl Sun 05-Apr-20 21:23:24

The only way i know its weekend is we have bacon on Saturday & Sunday!!! Having trouble sleeping too. Waking up in the night then don't want to get up in the morning. Some days i haven't come downstairs till 12 o'clock, then i feel guilty that half the day is over. Then i cant wait to go to bed again.
Not knowing how long its going to last doesn't help either.

GreenGran78 Sun 05-Apr-20 23:39:00

Annaram1 We should compare notes. I noticed the Chinese twins programme, but caught only the last part of it. I am intrigued to know how they came to be adopted into America and the other country Norway, Sweden, Finland?)
In the part I saw the Americans visited the other family, and the twins really bonded, in spite of not speaking each other’s language. The American parents loved the laid-back lifestyle, compared with their hectic trying-to-fit-in-everything, and vowed to try to emulate it. They had a sad parting at the airport. A footnote said that they had visited them again. How can adoption agencies think that it’s alright to separate twins like that?
I have had a few nights where I couldn’t get to sleep, since starting to self-isolate, but am now sleeping very well. I go for a long walk, most days, and am making a determined effort not to sit about at home. Today I cleaned out my large garden shed, which was so untidy that I could scarcely get through the door. I tired myself out, but feel happy now that it’s done.
I make sure that my time before bed is relaxing. No stimulating tv or books that set my mind buzzing. I go to bed as soon as I feel tired, otherwise the moment passes and I’m wide awake again.
I hope that all you insomniacs find the knack of getting a restful night’s sleep. It’s not easy to change the pattern, especially in these worrying times.

grammargran Mon 06-Apr-20 08:41:36

Annaram1 I don’t know when you fell asleep, but the twins had a fight, Adam’s wife intervened and accidentally knocked him out, (all while they were on a boat where Eric had been rough sleeping), she leaps off on horror, Eric flies with the boat and unconscious Adam away across the fjord. Boat capsizes, police come to Adam’s wife to say they’ve found his brother’s (Eric’s body), Eric having previously driven his camper van into the fjord further down the valley (keep up!). Anyway, long and short - the belief is that Eric is dead when it’s really Adam, Eric identifies the body as his own and basically has now to assume the identity of his dead twin brother - all at the suggestion of his sister-in-law to save her from a manslaughter charge. Now, hope you’re ready for the next episode ........

Artdecogran Mon 06-Apr-20 09:28:40

All my life I have gone to bed before 10pm and up before 7am. My dearest husband was always up till 2 or 3 in the morning then slept till after lunchtime, partly because he was a shift worker. Now I am on my own I’ve been going to bed after midnight, and for the last 2 weeks I’m going to bed at 3am! I’m always up in the night 2 or 3 times for the loo. Unfortunately I have discovered that if you eat something high carb at bedtime it stops you getting up. Then I finally get up at about 11. Most strange.

watermeadow Tue 07-Apr-20 08:57:56

My internal clock is also playing up and I’m very often awake for several hours in the night. For me it doesn’t matter, long retired and now stuck at home so I can nap later or go to bed when I’m tired.
Don’t worry about your sleeping habits, we shall get back to normal eventually.