Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(71 Posts)
12Michael Mon 06-Apr-20 06:10:05

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but mainly due to cloud and overnight rain here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterday I went into Waitrose for a few items ,they opened at 0930 for browse , and tills opened at 10 , I had my selection used the self check system ,and was out , and seeing que forming outside.
It was also a difficult day, as well , just over 2 weeks since last out properly , but stick to my guns and hope the situation improves over the coming weeks.
It only needs something serious to happen where I with someone ,which would be a total lockdown for everybody in the building.
Mick

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-Apr-20 13:44:54

Late to post but what the heck!
Sunny, blue sky, puffy cloud and a bit of breeze after a slight drizzle last night.
Letter from BJ this morning. Binned it as I've heard it all before...everywhere.
Watered plants and a bit of deadheading which took all of 15 mins ?
No slots this side of Christmas on Waitrose, Tesco or Sainsos. ?
I thought we oldies were being offered more.
After scanning dates repeatedly over the course of an hour, I gave up. I'd rather starve than be a slave to that nonsense.
Anyway, joy of joys ? my bank emailed to say that the interest on my savings account will be reduced by 1/3 from Apr 11th.
I rang M&S and opened another current account+saver (only left 3 weeks ago) which gives 2.75% fixed for the term.
I hate it when promised returns get reduced 3 weeks after opening the account.
This afternoon I have 2 calls to make and expect 2 this evening from D in Yorkshire and S in Ireland, which is not where he lives (dad's property) but having to stay due to C-19. Still, it's a beautiful place and huge tracts of private land with outdoor pool so not stuck inside.
I guess it's shopping tomorrow. M&S for my fav Cornish Gold milk and lots of fruit.
I hope everyone sees some ? today and putting up with enjoying a different kind of routine.
Take care and ? we all stay safe and stick to the rules. ??????

Taichinan Mon 06-Apr-20 13:20:11

Good afternoon all from the latecomer! The sun's out on the Angus coast thank goodness, but that wind is beastly! Having a lazy day here today - exhausted after DD's ascent of Snowdon on her stairs!! She raised £1,020 for WAY so she is well pleased. I ran upstairs this morning -once- and if I do that once every day, by next year I'll have scaled Snowdon too. Just a thought. Take care. ????

gillybob Mon 06-Apr-20 13:02:16

Money changed at the bank (just this once ?)
Cash ready for gas man tomorrow . An expense I could really do with out, but can’t manage without a hob for much longer either .

I was disappointed with the weather yesterday too MrsWoo very windy here on the NE coast . Not much better today either .

GrannySomerset Mon 06-Apr-20 12:57:08

Thank you, Urmston. I will have a look at that. I’m not usually like this and suspect I have been watching too much news!

Urmstongran Mon 06-Apr-20 12:06:32

GrannySomerset our eldest daughter has always tended towards anxiety and overthinking. A mind that gets too busy really. Anyway last year she found a free (for the first 3 months so just cancel it if you don’t choose to continue it at £6 a month) app called ‘HeadSpace’. She thinks it’s brilliant.

Worth a try perhaps?

mrswoo Mon 06-Apr-20 11:29:47

Good morning from Newcastle. The day started sunny then turned grey and now it's raining. Yesterday was sunny but very windy. I too do Joe Wickes for seniors and I must admit to really enjoying it - plus he seems like a nice boy! The zumba gold class that i go to is now online but I'm finding it quite difficult to keep up so I might stick with Mr Wickes for now.
Auntieflo my DH has been doing some d.i.y and made a bird table the other day - a certain amount of swearing was involved. I think I prefer it when he's sitting quietly with a book. Mind you, the birds are very pleased with their new " restaurant"
I hope everyone has the best wobble-free day that they can.

Rosalyn69 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:07:56

Late good morning from sunny Gower.
The husband did an early click and collect from Morrison’s. No human contact. He’s now planting vegetables.
Kitchen cleaned and no cooking today. Press on with Kingdom and it’s zombies.

hulahoop Mon 06-Apr-20 11:06:11

Good morning from Yorkshire it's sunny at the moment ,that's good news doramarr. Stay safe everyone

GrannySomerset Mon 06-Apr-20 10:52:00

Thank you, Marydoll. Like you I feel that such exercises are not my thing (hopeless at yoga because can’t focus) but now is definitely the time to try new things. When small, my DS struggled to sleep “because my thinking won’t stop”. I feel much the same.

Auntieflo Mon 06-Apr-20 10:48:45

Good morning Michael, Annie, and all.
It was raining when I eventually surfaced this morning, but has brightened up quite a bit now.
Yesterday we had a family Zoom tea party. Lots of faces and chat, but my GGS got so upset because he could see cake, but couldn't eat it!
A couple of the little ones were dressed up and deals were made. Would you like this? Have you got any of that?
I had made a Victoria Sandwich, and phoned a neighbour to ask if she would like some, so left a parcel in her porch.
During our late afternoon walk, we passed a house that had an arch of rainbow coloured balloons around their front door. It made a lovely sight.
DH is getting so that he asks almost every day, "do we need any shopping?" I wish he were a DIY'er and just potter in the shed or garage, but he never has been.
I had a bit of a wobbly just before I went to sleep, when I thought, ' the Church is locked!'
Take care and stay safe everyone.

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:45:23

Thinking of you today Maw funerals are hard at the best of times.

You are lucky having a tin of tomatoes Urmston they are like gold dust here along with eggs and flour. I think everyone is baking!!

The sun has come out here so may wash my winter jumpers after all.

Hope everyone has the best day possible.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 06-Apr-20 10:39:25

Good morning all, going out for my bit of exercise soon, a tour of the town on my bike. Then I shall continue on my ;pet project which isn't finished and that is doing nothing.
Stay safe everyone

Annapops Mon 06-Apr-20 10:28:43

Good morning once more from County Durham. Didn't post yesterday as I was feeling rather low. Perhaps it was because I had hoped to spend the day in the garden feeling the warmth of the sun but instead I remained sheltered from a very chilly wind.

Some ironing today, which won't take long, then maybe a swift Hoover around the place before I......?

No, I will keep busy.....I will dance today at some point as it always cheers me. It's a video class I've signed up for, which is the same as the one I normally attend. Swing and jazz music to various moves.

All my Easter surprises have arrived and are now boxed up for the GC. It's been rather like Christmas, but I will make the family aware this is a one off for this year. I do hope the dry weather continues so they will be able to skip, bounce, throw, catch and juggle with my gifts.

The highlight of my day yesterday was watching GD1 practising her gymnastics routine on what's app. She's a determined little character and highly competitive.

Pleased you're getting that has hob sorted Gilly.

Love to all.x

MawB Mon 06-Apr-20 10:25:57

Good morning all from N Bucks where the sun has come out again after overnight rain.
You do sound a bit down Mick - who of us isn’t these days?
Had you thought of plotting a series of walks around Brackley - I am assuming that as an ex cyclist your mobility is good?- and choosing a different one each day?
Or alternatively a sort of “Mystery Tour” where, before going out you write down 1st right 3rd left 2nd right and so on and see where it takes you? (Possibly the Coop carpark ?)
Just something to break up the monotony instead of queuing at Waitrose!
While you are still permitted, I would recommend you aim for as much of the permitted hour that you can manage.
In 15 minutes I am going to be “joining” dear friends on line for the streamed funeral from Essex of a wonderful lady we first knew when we lived in London in the early 70’s. She was like a surrogate mum to Paw and me and a remarkable force in the community- there for everyone.
I expect there will be tears, so I shall arm myself with coffee and a chocolate Hobnob.
Wishing you all a pleasant day!

Scentia Mon 06-Apr-20 10:03:49

I have been doing the Joe Wickes 'Body Coach 10 Minute Workout for Seniors'. It was mentioned on here a few days ago. I do it two, else three times a day and it is really good, he is also very easy on the eye. Enough to calm anyones nerves me thinks!!

BladeAnnie Mon 06-Apr-20 09:59:56

Good morning everyone from a bright mid-Notts. I'm not sure what today will bring but hope it us kind to us all. Stay safe x

Marydoll Mon 06-Apr-20 09:51:41

GrannySomerset|, my worst time is just before I go to sleep.
I start catastrophising and thinking, What if....

We are in a situation we have never experienced before and don't have the the strategies or experience to deal with it.
I have been doing calming, breathing exercises, which I have downloaded on my phone. I'm usually not to very receptive to these type of things, but it does help, so perhaps give it a go. There are lots of examples on the internet.

I have to give myself a shake and tell myself, that like all things, it will pass and it will get better, eventually.

I hope you feel better. ?

GrannySomerset Mon 06-Apr-20 09:40:57

Groundhog Day here too and am struggling to be pleased about anything much. Bed changing and laundry, the remains of the weekend chicken to be turned into a curry for this evening, and then some gardening if it stays fine.

Suddenly overcome in the night by the thought that I might possibly never see DC and DGC again. Where did that come from? Think some heavy duty weeding might be the answer, given that we are lucky enough to have a garden. I grew up in an upstairs flat and always itched to get outside in fine weather, so I feel for Mick and Urmston and all those cooped up.

Anne9054 Mon 06-Apr-20 09:40:28

Good morning Mick and all from an overcast Norfolk

Spent the day in the garden yesterday and accomplished lots. Also dried my bedding on the line.

Ironing today plus if it brightens up sitting out in the garden. Meanwhile my cat goes on his weekly visit to the vet for treatment, without which he would be in great pain. He’s awaiting an op but as it’s emergencies only I don’t know when that will happen. Sooner the better. As I’m self isolating for 12 weeks the chair of our local British Legion is on moggy manoeuvres! I am so grateful to him.

I had a bad day last Sunday but have been upbeat ever since. I think the sunshine helps.

Stay safe everyone.

Megs36 Mon 06-Apr-20 09:39:21

Morning all, so impressed with all the industry, cooking, cleaning,gardening. We feel we’d like to do ‘something’ but I have no energy now, a bit o& ironing and vacuuming and I’ve had It! And my husband since his bout of pneumonia and hospital isolation is getting breathless after a few steps, the COPD has kicked in with a vengeance this time. Hoping in a few weeks he’ll feel a bit more able to do a few things. We should have been on holiday this week, ironically without the lock-in we couldn’t have gone anyway ???.
Whinge over, all the best to all.

Mapleleaf Mon 06-Apr-20 09:36:12

Good morning all,

A fairly bright morning with a bit of breeze again. Looks as if we've had rain through the night.

We got into the garden again yesterday and I managed to plant up some of my seeds and scrub the plastic mini greenhouse. Did the other one yesterday. It was spoiled somewhat by the quite strong and chilly breeze, which curtailed our plans a bit. After we'd gardened, our plan had been to sit out for our lunch, but it was too chilly and windy.
Didn't stop some of our neighbours though, who don't seem to get the "household only" message and had visits to their houses from other family members. One of them sounded as if they were having quite a get together in their garden. When will they get it?? I know we all want to be able to see our family and friends, but this is a time when we all have to pull together and make the necessary sacrifices.

Today I've got a gammon joint to go in the slow pot and some dried fruit soaking in tea to make a tea loaf, so that's this morning catered for. A walk around the block this afternoon.

Sounds like you had a nice golden wedding, Newquay. It's amazing what can be done virtually, isn't it. Once this is all over, you'll be able to a proper get together. ?

Take care everyone and keep safe.

Urmstongran Mon 06-Apr-20 09:34:46

Great minds think alike Doorstop as I’m putting pork, onion and tinned tomatoes (plus some ancient Bisto granules - thanks EV - we used some and survived!) into our slow cooker today. Himself is peeling potatoes as I tap this out. He must be bored. Or super organised ha!

Nortsat Mon 06-Apr-20 09:30:23

Good morning Mick and the GM team, it’s grey in east London today.

We had a lighter moment this morning: Ollie is an ex stray cat, who adopted us before Christmas and he is still settling in to his new home. Earlier today, we could hear a considerable racket going on, with him hissing and banging.

We discovered him engaged in serious battle with a shoe lace, that was sticking out from under a door. He was spitting loudly and hitting it hard with his paws (claws out). This went on for some considerable time, until the shoe lace was roundly defeated and safely pushed back under the door.
Then honour and dignity restored, he marched proudly into the living room and went to sleep on his favourite chair. ?

Sending good thoughts to those facing challenges or having wobbles.
‘Let’s be careful out there ...’ ?

harrigran Mon 06-Apr-20 09:29:47

Good morning from the NE where it is bright after overnight rain.
Sat in the garden yesterday with a magazine and actually saw a plane, DH checked his app and it was Cologne to Ontario so we then started wondering whether it was a scheduled flight or a rescue mission, way too much time on our hands.
Watched War of the worlds last night, really enjoyed it.
We probably need shopping but will see how the day goes and make a decision this evening.
Stay safe everyone.

moggie Mon 06-Apr-20 09:24:40

Good morning Mick & all from cloudy but brightening up now Nottingham. Had some rain overnight.
Congratulations on your Golden wedding anniversary Newquay
DH started staining fence panels y’day will carry on today.
I will make chicken curry for later.
A short walk or bike ride this afternoon.
Take care & stay safe.
Have a good day everyone.