Gransnet forums

Chat

Motorbikes

(19 Posts)
Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 15:08:49

What I don't understand is why motorcyclists have to go out en masse on narrow country roads?

You sound as if you all enjoy a trip out and that's fine but drivers of cars don't go out together in their hundreds, so why do motorcyclists?

Still roaring and zooming around here when most of us are behaving sensibly in lockdown too.

Bikerhiker Tue 07-Apr-20 14:14:09

There are, I believe, some all female clubs. I haven't been to any though. I still get wonderful feeling of freedom that I got with my first bike at 17. Happy days!

Cherrytree59 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:15:39

Beechnut my husband bought a Royal Enfield early in the 2000s.He had rode motorbikes before I met him and would often when out and about look with longing at certain motorcycles.
So when our children became adults and we were pre grandchildren, I suggested he bought one.
From day one I loved riding pillion.
Later he bought our beloved tangerine Bonneville.

We travelled twice around Northern Spain with a travel group on a Royal Enfield.
Some of my happiest memories

We rode the isle if man TT route on our bonny smile ?

watermeadow Tue 07-Apr-20 09:04:46

Horrible noisy dangerous things. Orthopaedic wards are full of (mostly young) men with terrible injuries from motorcycle crashes. Their lives ruined and a drain on the NHS.
I had a rescue collie who was crippled by his obsession with chasing motorbikes.
Get a push bike instead and live longer.

Beechnut Tue 07-Apr-20 08:59:43

I’m another pillion passenger although I did once have a Honda Express moped.

I came into DH life when he had a very nice Royal Enfield and his last bike was a Norton Commando. Happy times ?

harrigran Tue 07-Apr-20 08:55:41

I have heard a motor bike leaving the estate several times in the last few weeks and I can hear it for ages because of a lack of other traffic.
I said to DH it sounded like a young tearaway and he laughed and said he thought it was the polceman that lived in the next street.

Cherrytree59 Tue 07-Apr-20 08:53:47

I would be very interested to read about your past motorbike adventures Janebuck
Are you planning any it
Interesting trips in the future when lockdow becomes a thing of the past ????

Janebuck Tue 07-Apr-20 08:45:42

Hello Bikerhiker
Yes I am the same and apart from shopping a couple of times a week it just gets cleaned!! I was looking to see if there was any enthusiasm for trips out when all this over but judging from the responses, not really.

Bikerhiker Mon 06-Apr-20 20:15:15

Yes I have a motorbike but I am not riding it at the moment. I miss it but don't commute so only ride for pleasure.

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 19:34:07

What Calendargrl said!!

If you go out now that is quite irresponsible as, if you have a accident, you could be using valuable NHS resources.

Izabella same here, but they were roaring round as usual on Sunday.

Cherrytree59 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:51:37

Hi Janebuck
Sadily we are a now motorcycle free zone having we sold our Bonny last yearsad.

I can only claim to have been pillion passenger to my DH.

We have rode several times around the Astoria mountains in Northern Spain.

And couple of years ago we rode the Isle of Man race route which was great fun.

What motorbike adventures have you enjoyed Janebuck??

bikergran Mon 06-Apr-20 18:48:33

Used to love seeing all the bikers at Kirby Lonsdales Devils Bridge. Think Sundays were just for bikers to park.

QuaintIrene Mon 06-Apr-20 18:23:26

Me. Hung up my helmet about 15 years ago, alas due to sciatica.
My biker friends from what I know are following the rules, but we are older. I am in Yorkshire and bikes are still on the roads but I haven’t seen any clubs out and about in my neck of the woods. Usually see them on Sunday afternoon.

Calendargirl Mon 06-Apr-20 18:17:10

I suppose you could go shopping on your motorbike, or to collect medication, or to go to work if you can’t work from home.

Otherwise, not really. You can’t use it for exercise.

bikergran Mon 06-Apr-20 18:14:16

Janebuck hello and hello shysal : )

Not got mine anymore,but havn't seen many out at the mo,I would imagine due to the lockdown,

I think in Yorkshire they have had to deal with lots of speeding bikers taking advantage of the quieter roads.

If I did have mine at the mo I would be very cautious going out right now unless you have one of the reasons it states.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-Apr-20 18:10:35

I was married to a guy who was into bikes but definitely didn't 'look' like a biker in the broad perception of that crew.
He had, besides two HDs and a Kawasaki, a Norton Dominator and a Triumph Bonneville, both freighted by rail to Manchester from rural Sussex.
He also had 3 cars.
March 2013 I was invited to join the Brighton chapter on their inaugural trip up the coast and I went. It was fun but I don't like the noise and it's really not my scene. I prefer sailing.

Izabella Mon 06-Apr-20 17:58:43

We used to have one but are currently revelling in a motorbike free zone. We live near to one of the preferred hotspots for gatherings and the noise is incessant at weekends and BH's. Bliss.

shysal Mon 06-Apr-20 14:23:10

Welcome Janebuck. I hope Bikergran is still around.

Janebuck Mon 06-Apr-20 13:47:41

Hello
I am new to the site and ride a motor bike. Does anyone else have the same interest and if so are you going out on it at the moment?
Jane