Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris..intensive care..

(871 Posts)
farview Mon 06-Apr-20 20:18:00

News tweeted by Robert Peston..poor man..hope he gets well..

Anniebach Mon 13-Apr-20 21:18:19

Chewie surely not ?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Apr-20 21:21:09

There is a number code on an itu.
Only the staff can let you in.

GrannyLaine Mon 13-Apr-20 23:46:41

Yes MissAdventure and there's a lock on the front door of 10 Downing Street but there is a police officer on duty outside.
(.....shakes head in disbelief)

Chewbacca Mon 13-Apr-20 23:48:53

confused

MissAdventure Tue 14-Apr-20 00:19:24

Oh yes
You mean like the ones outside the hospital when Boris was in?

Not that any of this really matters.
He could have pans people dancing around his bed for all I care, now I come to think of it smile

It doesn't matter.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Apr-20 00:46:58

rofl grin

NotSpaghetti Tue 14-Apr-20 01:05:09

When my grandson was in ICU he had his own room with independent air filtration. I don't know the set up at St. Thomas's but you could easily have had guards outside my grandson's unit.
Oh, and he did have a form of PTSD after. And nightmares. And worse. It was horrible - but we are very grateful that he is fine now.

NotSpaghetti Tue 14-Apr-20 01:09:23

I feel sorry for anyone who has to spend time in this type of unit, and for the people who love them. Boris Johnson is lucky. I hope it changes his attitude to the NHS and social care more generally. I also hope we all learn from this virus and accept that we need to pay higher taxes in order to deliver better services in future.

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 14:20:10

Well, I must say that Larry seems to go in through the front door without knocking or being security checked. He seems to just point his whiskers at the door and it opens as if by magic.
Open Sesame!

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 14:22:04

Yes we do NotSpaghetti
I'm glad your son is well recovered now.

Jabberwok Tue 14-Apr-20 14:59:08

I think you spell 'bidey' Biddy! and incidentally BJ left his wife in order to live with Miss Biddy before his wife's confirmation of cervical cancer! Chequers was gifted to the nation for the sole use of any sitting PM both then, and in perpetuity for their Rest and Recreation. It doesn't belong to any PM including Boris, as it belongs to the nation and cannot be classified as a second home for him or anyone else!

Elegran Tue 14-Apr-20 15:12:00

No, Jabberwok A bidey-in (pronounced like b-eye-dee-in is not an old biddy, he or she is someone who lives permanently (and usually respectably) with a man or woman but without marrying them. They could be any age or sex, and of any level of society. The word is connected with "abide" and "abode" and such words that imply having a home.

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 15:14:00

'BJ left his wife in order to live with Miss Biddy before his wife's confirmation of cervical cancer!'...that makes it so much better, doesn't it...

Jabberwok Tue 14-Apr-20 15:18:13

Clearly this whole saga was, and is a vile Tory plot in cahoots with St Thomas's hospital! This is as believable as 'knowing' that Larry the cat has super sensitive finally tuned whiskers that automatically open doors! I have heard that they also warn him of the presence of Dilyn the dog! A super cat indeed!!!!

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 15:25:04

Well, either way Johnson and his biddy are now happily immune and strolling in the sun at Chequers with their little dog so at least we don't have to worry about them any more.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:51:23

Argh! It's not 'biddy' it's bidey. From the Scots verb to bide - to live in. Eg I bide in a flat, you bide in a hoose. Ergo Carrie is Boris's bidey in - his live in girlfriend.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:55:21

Re Boris needing time to recover. I can well believe it. I had plain old flu and was knocked for six. I was exhausted by the slightest thing and lost a lot of weight. It took me several weeks to recover. I hope he doesn't feel pressured to return too early.

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 16:08:29

Oh, I'm sure he won't....

Jabberwok Tue 14-Apr-20 16:12:57

I stand corrected Jane10, I'm not familiar with Scottish vocabulary, (although I do know the word bide!) and I thought it was a super insult aimed at Carrie Symonds. Apologies, I was wrong, it was just an ordinary insult! I can remember having Asian Flu in 1957 and feeling very ill and pretty wobbly afterwards, so I can certainly believe that Boris won't feel
A 1 for quite sometime .

maddyone Tue 14-Apr-20 16:14:56

Well it appears the science is unclear at the moment because some people in Korea have tested positive previously and now having recovered, have tested positive again. No one knows whether a dose of Coronavirus really does give either permanent or temporary immunity. Therefore if Boris Johnson is walking in the gardens with Carrie at Chequers neither he nor anyone else knows if he is immune. I hope he is, and I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 16:20:55

And no one knows if he is infecting people around him; including her given that she hasn't had a test to prove she has definitely had it. There is a certain amount of doubt as to how long you are infectious for.

Elegran Tue 14-Apr-20 16:41:45

If that means that people who have had it can infect others indefinitely we can look forward to a future with every one of us enclosed in a hazard suit for the rest of our lives. Maybe they will be fitted with a built-in phone so that we can communicate? But how will we reproduce? Some rapid evolution will be called for!

maddyone Tue 14-Apr-20 17:20:14

It’s frightening isn’t it Elegran, I think our best hope is for a vaccine to be developed and apparently there are quite few possibilities underway.
This whole situation is like a science fiction film, and I don’t like it at all.

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 17:30:12

If it has already mutated then one vaccine will not provide sufficient protection.

Other diseases have different vaccines for each strain.

humptydumpty Tue 14-Apr-20 17:35:00

As regards people re-testing as +ve, maybe this reflects the fact that the test isn't 100% accurate? - there must be a proportion of false positives and false negatives associated with it...