Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris..intensive care..

(871 Posts)
farview Mon 06-Apr-20 20:18:00

News tweeted by Robert Peston..poor man..hope he gets well..

Anniebach Tue 14-Apr-20 17:48:41

Boris and his first wife divorced in 1993, he and his second wife married in 1993.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:11:46

I think finding a 100% accurate test is crucial as is a 100% antibody test. I'm sure that labs throughout the world are working pretty much flat out on it!

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:13:27

Remember what a death sentence AIDS was beck in the 80s and now with combined meds it's completely manageable. Hope coronavirus testing and treatment goes the same way. I suspect it will. There are clever people about.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:14:25

Oops my Royal accent has sneaked out. 'Beck in the 80s' indeed!

Washerwoman Tue 14-Apr-20 18:19:21

If Boris was so ill why did they let him out so soon someone asked.Although this virus rumbles on for days in some then they get better, or suddenly worse,like other infectious diseases that provoke fever and extreme immune response once the crisis point is passed,particularly viral infection where antibiotics are not appropriate you need convalescence.But not hospitilsation if there's no need for oxygen support or IV fluids etc.And certainly not holding up a hospital bed if there's nothing more to do but rest and recover.
As for walking in a garden.Well I'm currently mildly symptomatic and following quarrantine gudelines but after 7 days can go back out again provided my temperature has fully gone and no other symptoms -but a dry cough because that can last for weeks.Will leave it as long as possible as have no need as well stocked.And will give myself extra time to recover.But in theory I could be out for a walk this time next week.If I don't get worse.I love how many medical experts there are out there.Not specifically GN but some of the conspiracy theories are an insult to the medics and staff who treated him.I presume they know what they are doing regarding discharge and ongoing care.

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 18:33:07

No one, I repeat no one has or is criticising our nurses and doctors regarding this. This is a free democratic country and we have a right to question some things. I don't understand why people that are so defensive of our NHS when it comes to Johnson are not the ones criticising him for being part of a government that has ran the NHS down for 10 + years and treated many of the staff [especially those from the EU] appallingly...It wasn't me that was clapping when nurses weren't granted a pay rise but our illustrious leader angry.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:58:34

As regards people re-testing as +ve, maybe this reflects the fact that the test isn't 100% accurate? - there must be a proportion of false positives and false negatives associated with it...

The nature of the test is that it is more likely to give false negatives than false positives.

In the same way that a small biopsy may not find cancer cells in someone that does have cancer, the CV19 swab requires cells showing signs of infection. So you can have a negative swab but actually have CV19 but are unlikely to have a false positive. That kind of error would more likely be data entry error rather than the error margin for the actual test.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:02:52

Hospitals are not relying on the swabs alone. They are using radiology and symptoms too. So some people who have -ive swabs are considered CV patients if the radiology interpretations plus symptoms strongly indicate it.

This is not because tests are "faulty" it is because that type of testing has an error margin by its definition.

If you are swabbing for absence or presence. Presence is a definitive positive, but absense is not. It just means none were picked up on that swab.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:04:56

So if people are re testing positive, I would say there are 4 likely reasons:

1. False data entry
2. Still actively infected
3. No immunity from last time
4. Immunity does not translate between strains

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 19:28:56

I did read something else recently [again can't remember where] that said we're treating the lungs but should we be treating the blood as well as/instead as the virus affects the blood in certain ways.

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 19:31:57

Regarding people testing positive again; when my children had a virus they were, obviously, poorly when they had the virus. But over the years I noticed a pattern forming in that a couple of weeks after they'd recovered they would be poorly again; not with the same symptoms but generally feeling unwell. I've often thought it was the bodies response to the virus. [sorry; thinking out loud again....].

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 19:33:22

And some people think you can remain infected for up to a month; not the 7-14 days that seems to be the guideline.

Washerwoman Tue 14-Apr-20 19:37:20

Labaik.Appologies.I think it's because I've seen too many BJ wasn't really ill comments today .Or if he was that ill why wasn't he ventilated .Why was he taking up a bed on ICU.If he was so ill why was he discharged comments.I'm not defending BJ but I am exasperated on behalf of the staff that looked after him because although I know a lot of people don't trust BJ and immediately look for an agenda I do trust,as I'm sure you do,the clinical judgement of the team at St Thomas.I will retreat now because I don't think my explanation will suffice.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:47:34

I think finding a 100% accurate test is crucial

There are far fewer "100% accurate tests" that are conclusive on their own, in any branch of medicine, than some people realise!

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 19:49:56

Well, chicken pox remains in the nervous system and can erupt again as shingles so that is a logical assumption.

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 19:53:47

Interesting news item today, something that I have been musing on for a while, about researching the DNA of people who have had the virus, whether some react or have a more serious reaction than others who may only have mild symptoms or are asymptomatic.

Glorybee Tue 14-Apr-20 20:08:50

Washerwoman, I, along with a great many others find the ‘Boris wasn’t really ill’ conspiracy completely laughable and grossly insulting to the hospital staff. This sort of rubbish does have a habit of spiralling out of control once it’s started.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Apr-20 20:11:45

Only among conspiracy theorists and half wits Glorybee! grin

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 20:14:30

But, as I've said, no one is blaming/criticising the hospital staff. Especially as, due to confidentiality they can't say anything, However I did find certain newspaper front pages and news reports regarding Johnsons recovery upsetting when directly underneath the eulogising about his health there would be, in tiny writing, a mention of how many people had died that day.

Glorybee Tue 14-Apr-20 20:15:01

Yes Chewbacca, I forgot to add that bit!