Gransnet forums

Chat

Isn’t it strange what excites us now?

(103 Posts)
Katek Tue 07-Apr-20 11:57:49

Dd2 just messaged in a state of great excitement as she had managed to secure a click and collect grocery slot after 3 weeks!! She only managed to book it as she was up in the middle of the night and thought she would just check online . Little things we took for granted now mean a lot.

Pikachu Tue 07-Apr-20 16:36:08

I got really excited finding a red pepper in my vegetable box.

annodomini Tue 07-Apr-20 16:37:28

As bleach is easy to get hold of - if not to open the bottle - I am using a bleach solution in a spray bottle and the house is beginning to smell like a swimming pool. hmm

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 16:41:54

Hetty58! A bigamist robin grin

Lemon drizzle? Are there any virtual pieces left?
I'm very partial to lemon drizzle

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Apr-20 17:36:29

I had a Sainsbury’s delivery this week and my wine and my toilet rolls arrived!

It felt like Christmas morning.

TerriBull Tue 07-Apr-20 17:38:10

A friend of one of my sons, known him since he was knee high to a grasshopper, brought us round some hand santizer from Hong Kong where he was a little while ago. He bought quite a lot of it back with him for family and friends. Thanked him profusely whilst he stood halfway down the driveway.

Always thrilled when we manage to get anything we've set out to buy, yesterday did a small top up shop and got a loaf and skimmed milk, often find with the latter it's not as available as it once was, although semi skimmed seems to be plentiful.

One of my sons got me some flour, albeit plain, it's still floursmile

We had a lovely walk today in our nearby Royal park sun was shining and everything looked beautiful.

grannysyb Tue 07-Apr-20 19:02:12

I'm with Maw, a bit of slap on before Zoom and Houseparty meetings. It's good to see friends online. Terribull, I walked in our Royal park this afternoon, it was lovely and sunny and everyone was being sensible. about social distancing. DS works in a well known food shop and brought us a food parcel of a gammon ham a chicken and some sausages, also some bread flour. Bless him

DoraMarr Tue 07-Apr-20 21:20:59

My lovely neighbour bought me a crusty white loaf. It is heaven.

Purpledaffodil Tue 07-Apr-20 21:33:15

DD managed to get a Tesco slot by some fluke. I asked her to order me some bread flour and lovely SiL delivered it this morning. I’ve not been able to buy any for weeks, so frustrating and now I have TWO bags. Agree it’s like Christmas ? Still no eggs though.?

Hithere Tue 07-Apr-20 21:42:17

A car ride stopping by Starbucks through became the highlight of the day.
Not anymore that we are strict stay at home with only essential businesses open

Hithere Tue 07-Apr-20 21:43:35

Starbucks drive through

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Apr-20 08:28:04

annodomini, your house may smell a bit like a swimming pool, but we’re using carbolic soap at the moment and ours smells like Beamish. grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Apr-20 08:53:33

Yesterday we watched the 1930s version of The Lady Vanishes, and I got quite excited at the thought that Dame May Whitty (Miss Froy) might be related to the Chief Medical Officer. I whiled away quite some time trying to prove my theory online and convincing DH that there is a definite family resemblance.

I think I’m going stir crazy. grin

luluaugust Wed 08-Apr-20 09:50:40

Just received a delivery of meat and goodies from a butchers we used for over 50 years when on holiday. It was like being back in the well loved shop. Not sure about the carbon footprint but it has really given us a lift. Yes funny how fashionable bleach has become. I also watched The Lady Vanishes, looking forward to Rebecca.

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Apr-20 09:56:52

I was ecstatic yesterday to get my first-ever Sainsbury's online delivery slot after hours or frustration.

And today my first bluebells appeared in the garden.

Life is good.

pamdixon Wed 08-Apr-20 10:01:37

We've resorted to getting veg boxes delivered, plus meat etc. from another place as my husband is 80 and we are totally self isolating. And I've managed to order a few things from Amazon I couldn't get anywhere else (not a chance of getting a delivery slot with a supermarket where we are). I get childishly excited every time something arrives.............veg box especially exciting as I have no idea what its going to contain each week. Never thought I'd miss a supermarket shop so much though - can't wait to browse some shelves!

silverlining48 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:03:54

I am very happy today. After weeks of trying to get a food delivery slot Iceland are today delivering, most of my first ever order, so we won’t starve. Full fridge, hooray.
The second good thing is our phone which has been broken for 2 weeks. Have had tremendous problems reporting this, but today we have connection.

Thecatshatontgemat Wed 08-Apr-20 10:04:40

One of my hand fed blackbirds is taking additional food, so he has an early baby to feed. Wonderful news.
Went shopping at ASDA yesterday, and there were no queues at all. I just walked straight in. Unbelievable!
(long one when l emerged 15 minutes later though....)

4allweknow Wed 08-Apr-20 10:08:03

Salsaqueen your friend steam cleaning wooden floors every day isn't doing them any good at all. If laminated that's even worse. Hope she doesn't live in a flat or she may be moving in downstairs!

Lupin Wed 08-Apr-20 10:11:54

So thrilled to have downloaded WhatsApp by myself, sorted out my misbehaving laptop and the Skybox, whilst saying to myself - out loud - Don't panic! Don't panic! Had to get down on the floor to sort the Sky box, and got up again. A feat I though impossible. So excited about that.
I also sat out on my balcony on Sunday in a little used deck chair and the seat split and I fell through. I managed to pull myself up and out. It was quite a tight fit. So excited I have more strength than I thought. And that I am not more wide than the deck chair.

Purpledaffodil Wed 08-Apr-20 10:12:17

Maggiemaybe you brought back lovely memories there. Used to love visiting Beamish when children were small and in-laws were alive. Still have metal hoops with metal whips attached in the garage made by blacksmith there. Forgotten memories recovered are exciting too.?

b1zzle Wed 08-Apr-20 10:14:02

Empty ground yesterday - lily of the valley today!

Grandmabeach Wed 08-Apr-20 10:16:55

Going for a walk with the traffic being so light I could hear the birds singing.

4allweknow Wed 08-Apr-20 10:17:30

Which store is offering recurring delivery slots. Sainsburys are available for over 70s/ vulnerable but only a few days ahead at a time; Asda can only book 7 days ahead and like gold dust; Morrisons have stopped issuing slots as overwhelmed; Tesco even the customers with yearly subscriptions for booking slots can't get anything for about 3 weeks ahead. Really interested if I've missed one as I live outskirts of town with no family anything like nearby to help out.

Callistemon Wed 08-Apr-20 10:17:57

I'm excited because I haven't steam cleaned the kitchen floor.

It's staying quite clean
However, that is sad, no little feet tramping through.

sazz1 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:26:11

Really pleased I bought lots of disinfectant antibac spray washing powder in December so have lots. Bought loads extra as we had puppies x 7 to clean up after. OH moaning we had too much but he's not moaning now! Puppies left in February but now glad I have lots left.