Gransnet forums

Chat

Isn’t it strange what excites us now?

(103 Posts)
Katek Tue 07-Apr-20 11:57:49

Dd2 just messaged in a state of great excitement as she had managed to secure a click and collect grocery slot after 3 weeks!! She only managed to book it as she was up in the middle of the night and thought she would just check online . Little things we took for granted now mean a lot.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 08-Apr-20 10:26:26

MamaCaz that's something worth getting excited about, along with the nesting birds stories. Loved the one about the naughty Robin with two families.

2mason16 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:31:05

7 a.m. in Aus I managed to get toilet rolls at last! We didn't join in the frenzied buying weeks earlier. We we're just about to use a box of tissues.

SuzannahM Wed 08-Apr-20 10:38:20

For anyone actually able to get out for the shopping - try the smaller supermarkets if there are any near you, rather than the huge supermarkets.

We do our weekly shop at a large Waitrose (hardly any queue late Tuesday mornings so far) but sometimes use a nearby small Sainsbury - got flour, Easter cards, stewing steak, minced meat, eggs there this morning. Freezers looked quite full too although I wasn't looking for frozen stuff so don't know what was in them.

We also use our local BP garage (M&S foods) occasionally if we run out of milk - they always seem to have eggs, bread, milk and some fresh meat and veg. We call in there if necessary on our daily walk - always quiet there too now, with so few people buying petrol. It's also the only place that sells food within three miles of us.

ChrisCross Wed 08-Apr-20 10:43:53

I checked my bank account and was pleasantly surprised. I realised I hadn't spent any "flippant" money. Need to keep this up.

Jaycee5 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:47:27

My Sainsbury's order came today delivered by a lovely lady. I got almost everything and it should last me for three weeks. I even got paracetamol, but no cleaning fluid. I still have a bit and I found some out of date Milton sterilising tablets which I think I am going to give a try I do have a surplus of window cleaner from a competition I won a couple of years ago.
I feel so much calmer than I did a few days ago when I thought that I was going to have to go to the local shop again. It is quite good but obviously much more limited in stock than a supermarket.
They do seem to have got most of their supply problem sorted out. I got a few alternatives but they were all sensible.

rowyn Wed 08-Apr-20 10:59:35

I'm excited for my ( 80 plus) neighbour. Managed to get her 2 packets of ginger nuts yesterday!! Her husband always has a cup of tea and one gingernut before going to bed. With dementia he has been unable to understand or cope with the lack of his biscuit.

PS I'm getting a bit miffed re spell check on here. Why is it American? Today it wanted me to remove the u from neighbour!

inishowen Wed 08-Apr-20 11:04:25

My daughter got excited when she saw toilet rolls for sale. I got excited about going to collect my prescription. This proved to be more of a hassle, queuing on the pavement, being left short of tablets, rejoining queue to get that rectified.

grandMattie Wed 08-Apr-20 11:13:08

Big day for us! We went to the supermarket AND we're getting a delivery of seeds which we finally managed to find from Poland!!!

benhamslc Wed 08-Apr-20 11:19:12

Seeing a plane flying over, we spotted bluebells as well this week

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:24:03

Ooo o o I saw a plane too I saw a plane too grin it was just the one and it was SO exciting

silvercollie Wed 08-Apr-20 11:33:48

Only Bizzle seems to be enjoying the uncomplicated pleasures of life. People this is your opportunity to reassess your priorities. No, not talking religion or conspiracy theories, just plain commonsense. I think everyone on here would quite rightly place Family at the top of the list but there are so many more things that are important. Just like the lily-of-the valley.
These are the things to concentrate on. The truly meaningful things.

Sallywally1 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:37:55

I managed to get a box of eggs in Sainsbury’s. There seems to be a general shortage. Reminded me of my late mother in law telling me that children were only allowed one egg a week in the Second World War.

Sounds trivial but I am also waiting for four rolls of Laura Ashley wallpaper ordered before the lockdown. As they are going into administration I may have lost around £100, but Laura Ashley tell me they will be delivered. We need to decorate a room, a good activity if we can’t go out.

So sad about this company I remember wearing their dresses in the 70s. My wedding dress was a cotton Victorian style dress, a bit different and worn by three brides!.

elleks Wed 08-Apr-20 12:40:33

Oooh, puppies! Any pictures?

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 12:53:41

I’ve been to the supermarket today (no deliveries available that I’ve been able to to find) and seen and chatted to my youngest dd, from a safe distance.

It’s about a 20 mile drive to the supermarket and I was amazed at how much has changed in the countryside since I last drove that way. Blossom on trees and the cutest lambs in fields. I think I saw more cyclists, including a tandem, than cars.

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 13:01:38

We still have helicopters overhead - offshore oil industry workers - but very few flights. I’m excited today because my Amazon Firestick has arrived so I will be able to access Britbox! They have a free 30 day trial which DH is finding quite exciting!

BoBo53 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:22:28

Couldn’t believe it when the oven thermostat knob broke on my much loved 13 year old gas cooker. Looked it up online and needed to find the model number which meant pulling out the cooker. Did this, found the number, cleaned up dust and grease, husband painted the wall and I ordered the part. It’s coming tomorrow- am so excited.

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Apr-20 13:23:24

Only Bizzle seems to be enjoying the uncomplicated pleasures of life. People this is your opportunity to reassess your priorities.

Really, silvercollie? confused This is a light-hearted thread. We're having a bit of fun. Many of us taking our minds off the genuine worries we have right now.

Happysexagenarian Wed 08-Apr-20 13:28:25

Just received a grocery delivery from our village shop - Oh joy, we have fresh bread and milk to last us over Easter, and easter eggs!! Our next supermarket delivery is not until next Friday, we've been waiting 4 weeks for it.

This morning I had to phone our vet about our dog. It was so nice to talk to someone other than my husband. Dog will be fine by the way.

Saggi Wed 08-Apr-20 13:48:57

I managed to bag an actual delivery slot and it will be 18 days since the last one. This came down in the early hours, best thing about being an insomniac.

willa45 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:53:52

We have a pair of 'house wrens' that keep coming back year after year. Yesterday, I heard a familiar song, so they're back and likely building a nest nearby. I also planted some tomato seeds last Friday and checking every day to see if they're sprouting. Earlier this week, I ordered a variety of flower seeds from Amazon. They're coming Saturday..... It's all very exciting!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Wed 08-Apr-20 13:55:14

My breadmaker is back out making daily fresh bread (why did I ever stash it away) & after 3 weeks of not doing any shopping/driving I went to collect my first ever click and collect from local Tesco. I was so excited to be going out (other than daily dog walk) that I woke early and basically counted down the hours until I could go. The staff were really jolly and very accepting of my sheer joy at being out somewhere (albeit tesco car park) ?

Saggi Wed 08-Apr-20 13:55:59

I haven’t been able to buy disinfectant or bar of soaps or hand gel for 4 weeks. I’m using fairy liquid and a mild diluted bleach to wash hands .... followed by a good dollop of hand cream. Only time will tell what damage ( if any) has been done to my hands.

Saggi Wed 08-Apr-20 13:56:54

Yes, got it yesterday. Better late than never eh!??

lemongrove Wed 08-Apr-20 14:10:28

Who is Bizzle?

Had a supermarket delivery last night, some of the things had been substituted ( a few hilariously so) and some were missing completely, but hey! It’s food after all.

Garden looking lovely ( more time to spend on it ) and son sent us some lovely pics of the DGC.

lemongrove Wed 08-Apr-20 14:11:40

Am musing about making fruit scones today.?