Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you missing your hairdresser

(165 Posts)
Yiayia4 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:53:29

Hi everyone how are you getting on without going to the hairdresser.
Can you manage yourself or are you struggling? I'm an ex hairdresser so can colour my own hair and trim my fringe also cut DH's hair,although not done it for a long time! There are lots of tips on YouTube for cutting hair if your brave enough.

BusterTank Fri 10-Apr-20 09:52:23

My hair is now out of control so just putting back in a pony tail every day . I'm not going anywhere so not really bothered . The grey is coming through but who's going to see that as well . It has been quite liberating , not having to give a damn about my appearance .

GabriellaG54 Thu 09-Apr-20 23:34:07

I certainly don't wash my hair daily. I can't think of a worse way to treat your hair. Shampoo with argan oil every 2 weeks plus serious brushing with good hairbrush 2/3 times a day, keeps mine shiny and thick.

Shelagh6 Thu 09-Apr-20 23:10:30

Just managing - it’s not hard to wash my hair but not easy to
Iron it straight.

Dollymc1 Thu 09-Apr-20 22:40:00

I had my hair cut and coloured just before the lockdown
It's starting to look a little bit straggly now
It is long enough now, to put in a French roll, it will just have to do for now
It is kind of unimportant in the big scheme

EthelJ Thu 09-Apr-20 22:25:15

Mind needs colouring and cutting. But I'm not attempting to do it myself. I would just make it worse. I will wait until this is all over. Its not as if I'm going out anywhere and need to look nice.

JanT8 Thu 09-Apr-20 19:59:52

I have a LOT of hair, but short! Curly at sides, some of the crown ! Seriously odd! If left to it’s own devices both sides look like a bad perm as they are so curly! Some chunks of the top and back are the same, but fringe and leftover bits are‘pump water straight !! ‘
How do you deal with that ?
Have to admit, taken scissors to fringe, side bits, plus any random bits that I didn’t like the look of !!!
Quite liberating really !! X

GreenGran78 Thu 09-Apr-20 19:45:48

I still have the electric hair trimmers that my late husband used to cut short what little hair he had left.
If I get really desperate .............,!!

Daddima Thu 09-Apr-20 18:09:13

For fringe cutters -

twitter.com/matineegirl/status/1243191626996080640?s=21

Washerwoman Thu 09-Apr-20 18:01:20

I thought I could cope for a few weeks after my usual appointment but today my hair seems to exploded.Good job DH and I are strictly following the guidelines and hardly seeing anyone !I pity my poor hairdresser too.Not earning anything now and then all her customers with so much more hair to cut when we finally go.

Patricia59 Thu 09-Apr-20 17:42:45

I can’t imagine what my hair is going to be like by the time we are allowed to visit the hairdresser. I have my hair short and have a cut & colour every 4 to 5 weeks. So far......my roots are grey, I must admit quite a nice shade of grey therefore I have decided not to colour it. I will also just have to let it grow as I wouldn’t dare cut it myself. I will certainly have a new look in the future!

12Michael Thu 09-Apr-20 17:40:48

As regards to the subject its yes , but I did a search on 3 websites for hair grooming or cutters on the male side ,and the demand is high at the moment with stocks sold or low.
Mick

HurdyGurdy Thu 09-Apr-20 17:18:30

I am laughing at all the talk of long fringes, and imagining a country full of Claudia Winkleman look-alikes by the time we're all set free grin

Patmax Thu 09-Apr-20 17:13:27

Disaster! I had delayed my appointment so my hair would look good for my big birthday next week. And then lockdown came. So it is now it is over 12 weeks since my last colour and cut. In desperation yesterday I dyed it with a “honey blonde” kit my husband bought from the supermarket to cover the patchwork of 3” grey, brown and blonde roots! Unintentionally, I am now a strawberry blonde with a pinky / orange front and sides!!!

H1954 Thu 09-Apr-20 17:03:42

No, not really. She did over-cut last time I had a trim and I was due to go again this week, so I quite like it as it is for now. Bet the hairdresser is missing the income though!

Bazza Thu 09-Apr-20 17:00:15

I’ve cut my fringe, roots don’t look too bad as the dark blond blends with the mousey grey. It’s longer than it’s been for ages and I can now get it into a ponytail. If this goes on for much longer I’ll look like a geriatric Rapunzel. Hair dressers will be one of the few businesses that won’t have to worry when this is over. Imagine trying to get an appointment!

Keffie12 Thu 09-Apr-20 16:51:18

I was due at the hairdressers, the week we went into lockdown. Due my 9 weekly colouring and trim.

Fortunately as I have very long hair there isnt a need for shape to be put in it. No one touches my hair, including me, but my hairdressers of 20 years.

I will manage with various tips I have found online. It's the colour, well roots that are niggling me. I shall have to hold out. You Tube is also useful for styling to cover greys and head bands are useful too.

I am trying just to wash my hair once a week (I usually wash it twice) as the longer you can leave it the better for its condition and shine.

Online shopping such as eBay and Amazon will certainly not be going out of business anytime soon.

Headbands, clips and everything you need can be bought on there

Regarding other things such as facials, waxing and so on. These can all be done at home. You can buy the products online or/and make the waxing products, facial masks etc yourself

"God" couldnt be everywhere, so God gave us Google" is my stock answer to everything now

Wendy Thu 09-Apr-20 16:45:41

I had my roots done just before the lockdown, joking to the hairdresser about what to use if she had to close!!! My daughter has bought me some Nice and Easy colour, not looking forward to doing it myself though. I will be white by the time we can go out at this rate! Nobody will know me.

Esther1 Thu 09-Apr-20 16:08:43

I can wear my hair up and have bought some spray on colour for the roots. I am too nervous to use anything other than a wash out one. My fringe is definitely going to be a cut with kitchen scissors soon though!

Jani Thu 09-Apr-20 16:00:27

Have got my Goldwell colour to put on when I need it - have to mix it with 10% peroxide ! Bit nervous about doing it - I don’t mind the colouring bit its getting the mixture right - not ready yet though . Hope you all keep safe and manage to have a nice Easter x

Susiewakie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:22:17

I'm looking like cousin it ! My fringe has decided to grow fast I was due to go this week ? will have to have a go at trimming it and using some nice and easy on roots

Buffybee Thu 09-Apr-20 15:00:18

My appointment should be a week today and as I have cut and highlights every six weeks, it's not looking too bad, just yet.
Haven't decided what I will do as time goes on. Mine is shoulder length with a fringe and I have cut it myself a few times before, by tying it in a ponytail at the front and cutting half an inch off. It gives a quite good layered effect.
Colour wise? I could try to do highlights myself ? or home-dye it all one colour.
Today for a change and for the hell of it, I've dried it in the sun with huge Velcro rollers in, it's very shiny and bouncy, which made me inordinately happy.
Small things..............

hulahoop Thu 09-Apr-20 14:22:56

My hair as been grey for a long time I was due to have it cut but lockdown cancelled it . It will be a mess in a couple of weeks but it doesn't matter in the scheme of things . know the feeling dragonfly ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 09-Apr-20 14:07:02

I'm not keen on root touch-up as it appears to cover your scalp too, which would normally show at least a faint white line where your part is...if you have one.

Purplepoppies Thu 09-Apr-20 14:04:15

I ordered colour and some other bits online from Boots. Not my usual shade as they were out of stock. I was slightly worried it would be too dark. Actually its turned out okay. My hair grows so fast. I wished I had been able to get a cut before lockdown. I have taken the (hairdressing) scissors to it today. It's not too bad. I haven't taken too much off. I'm not a hairdresser but haven't hacked myself a mullet ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 09-Apr-20 14:02:48

Nope...doing just fine thanks. Did my roots (dark quartz) and added copper flashes with a kit after looking at a video online.
Usually pay about £120 for that incl cut at hairdressers but the whole caboodle cost just £10.30 from Superdrug...bought before lockdown. I bought enough for 3 more complete 'hair renovations'.
I feel sooo much better.