Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you missing your hairdresser

(164 Posts)
Yiayia4 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:53:29

Hi everyone how are you getting on without going to the hairdresser.
Can you manage yourself or are you struggling? I'm an ex hairdresser so can colour my own hair and trim my fringe also cut DH's hair,although not done it for a long time! There are lots of tips on YouTube for cutting hair if your brave enough.

Chestnut Wed 08-Apr-20 12:59:19

I'm due for a cut so will probably have to do it myself.
I can't help wondering about all the TV presenters who need to look tidy. What will they do? There are also lots of people talking from their homes instead of in the studio. Will they get to look really scruffy in time?

crazyH Wed 08-Apr-20 13:04:13

Needs a colour, but not bothered, even though I usually do it myself.

lemongrove Wed 08-Apr-20 13:04:32

The colour is ok ( am blonde, which the grey mingles with) and am reasonable at trimming the fringe when required.
It won’t matter too much if it gets a bit longer.

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 13:05:13

Ohhhhh yes!! Have just ordered a Nice n’ Easy root touch up on my Sainsbury’s order, but doesn’t stop it growing. I shall trim my fringe and hope that I’m not too witchy looking when I finally get out.

TerriBull Wed 08-Apr-20 13:07:52

I wish I'd had everything done before the shut down, I was due for the whole roots, highlights, cut and blow dry because we were due to go to Seville for a week, that of course was cancelled. However, in the end didn't get round to going to the hairdresser either. However, I've sorted my fringe out and do that quite often between appointments, also trimmed my ends, I have proper hairdressing scissors, my husband didn't actually notice I'd done anything. I think it looks okay. Did a big on line order from Boots a couple of weeks ago and manged to get hold of some hair colour for roots which I've used before. I'll look forward to having it done professionally when all this is over, but in the meantime it hasn't impacted on me greatly.

Brunette10 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:08:09

I am, however I shall do my best to keep it tidy although both the style and colour will not be my normal. The way I look at it, it's NOT the most important thing in my life at the moment and we shall all be looking the same apart from all the professional hairdressers out there. Stay safe smile

Urmstongran Wed 08-Apr-20 13:36:37

I genuinely think I got the very last appointment in Spain as I came out of the salon when they closed at 2pm on the Saturday, 5 hours before the lockdown that hadn’t been announced.

Had my roots done then too and it was Saturday 14 March ✅

Yiayia4 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:44:28

Well done Urmstongran you will be o.k for a while yet.

CherryCezzy Wed 08-Apr-20 13:49:52

I needed a haircut before they all shut down but didn't do it. I always cut my own fringe between appointments though and that's okay. My hairdresser says I do a good job with that. My partner usually dyes mine or does the roots so that's okay. It is quite long now though and will be far too long before far to long.

jacq10 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:50:40

Although I say this myself - my hair is looking a lot better than it normally does! I have all the time in the world to sort it out and luckily I had a good cut two days before my hairdresser stopped working. This is the first time in over 40yrs when I haven't had anyone to look after. Still helping DGS with school work on-line (I usually have him every day after school) but of course they are on "school holidays" just now although he is looking forward to getting back in contact with his teacher and classmates on Tuesday.

seacliff Wed 08-Apr-20 13:52:48

It's about 5 weeks now since I did my roots. I have the semi permanent dye, but I'm holding off doing it - just letting the grey show for now, and see what it's like when we are allowed out. My hair is a mix of brown and silver.

I did go to hairdresser just before lockdown, but wasn't very happy with it. She didn't thin it enough, and if I'd realised then it would have to last me, I'd have probably gone back for more off. Therefore I am all wild and bushy, with faded brown and grey roots. Attractive - oh well, can always wear a hat!

Doodledog Wed 08-Apr-20 13:59:11

My hair is a disgrace, but I don't really care, as there is nobody to see it except me (and my husband, who loves me regardless of my hairstyle, fortunately).

I won't bother cutting or colouring it myself, but will get an appointment as soon as I can when it is safe to do so.

loopyloo Wed 08-Apr-20 14:06:04

Yes , which is weird because I rarely go but it was good to know they were there. Also miss the charity shops and the tip.
And the garden centres to buy compost.

Susan56 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:10:45

I had haircut and roots done the day before lockdown.Had slightly more cut off than usual.Have bought a couple of the root sprays off Amazon so will hopefully be ok??

Teetime Wed 08-Apr-20 14:13:12

I wont try to cut mine but may have a go at colouring it. I bought a Nice and Easy colour but I haven't done it myself for over 20 years - I'm just nervous that it will come out too dark or red!!

NannyJan53 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:15:28

I was due a trim and highlights on 18th March, which of course I cancelled as we had only arrived back from Lanzarote 2 days before, so had to isolate for 14 days.

Usually have hair trimmed every 6-7 weeks, and highlights every 3 months. Dread to think what it will look like when I can finally go!

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Apr-20 14:21:13

Mine won't look any different. It's never been up too much - it's very fine and thin - and I'd decided to give in to the grey anyway. DH's hair's much better than mine and I think he's worried that he might have to let me loose on it eventually!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:21:35

I wash mine and leave it at the moment, but it is looking a mess.

Not too bothered being in.

Plan a is to leave it and then eventually experiment with a new hairstyle when I get back to the hairdressers.

Plan b might be me having a chip here and there. This lock down business might go on and on

M0nica Wed 08-Apr-20 14:35:42

Not yet, I had a haircut just before we went into lock down, but come the end of the month I will.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 08-Apr-20 14:45:09

I colour mine myself, and I’ve just done that today as my roots were showing. I also did a bit of a trim too, I just took a tiny little bit off the ends as it was getting tatty looking. It was quite hard as it’s short! Apart from cutting my finger I think I’ve done ok!

Pittcity Wed 08-Apr-20 15:15:24

Mine is looking better for being left alone. So glad I grew my fringe out.

Bridgeit Wed 08-Apr-20 15:17:56

Definitely, persuaded Hubby to have ago at a light trim,
Not too bad , we are still speaking ?

glammanana Wed 08-Apr-20 15:58:08

I managed to have my hair cut just a week before my hairdresser closed I had been contemplating for a very long while to change styles and finally decided to go ahead and have 10/12 inches cut off and a long bob cut in,I have spent the last few weeks perfecting the drying as I have had nothing else to do and now it only takes one box of hair dye instead of the usual two so saved money as well.

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 16:12:42

Wow Glamm, will I know you if I bump into you ? grin I bet it looks nice though.