Gransnet forums

Chat

90 Years on Benefits

(88 Posts)
AGAA4 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:52:13

Naive to think that everyone on benefits is genuine. Most are but there are those who aren't. I don't watch those sort of programmes either as it can give an unbalanced view.

There are people who are trying to get benefits, and need them but the system makes it difficult for them.

The genuine ones don't want to be on benefits but circumstances leave them no other option.

Anniebach Wed 08-Apr-20 15:36:31

I can’t find a channel 5Star

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 15:31:27

I never said anything about there being large numbers of scroungers. Perhaps you need to watch the programme to see what I’m talking about.

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Apr-20 15:28:25

I also dislike these programmes and the threads that enjoy believing that there are large numbers of scroungers in society when there are not.
I grew up with the welfare state and have never thought, unlike Quizqueen , that others should work so that I may not.

tickingbird Wed 08-Apr-20 15:23:24

SW your post crossed mine. I should add that for once I agree with you. I don’t like or watch these programmes as they are designed to stir things up.

Anniebach Wed 08-Apr-20 15:23:18

Thank you Katek

tickingbird Wed 08-Apr-20 15:20:28

We need a welfare state. Unfortunately the way it’s run leaves it open to abuse. The genuine claimants often get refused help they deserve and the unscrupulous receive money they aren’t entitled to.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 15:20:03

Well of course a TV programme like this would be honest, truthful, balanced and non selective with facts and edits. I hate this type of TV and the goady threads it leads too. But the right wing will love it so well done. You’ve had comments already with no evidence base - quelle surprise.

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 15:15:23

It was on 5Star anniebach

AGAA4 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:14:38

There are many people on benefits, who deserve to be getting help but sadly also a large number who work the system and are in receipt of money they shouldn't be getting.
They make life more difficult for the genuine claimants.

quizqueen Wed 08-Apr-20 15:01:09

I'm very anti the welfare state; it makes people think that others should work to support their lifestyle.

Anniebach Wed 08-Apr-20 14:58:39

Which channel was it on please ?

Katek Wed 08-Apr-20 14:56:14

Did anyone see this programme last night? I’d be interested to hear other people’s thoughts! Suffice to say I was pretty taken aback by the couple who had been on benefits for over 30 years. She was diabetic and agoraphobic and he was diagnosed recently with COPD. I have my reservations ..........