Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else having vivid nightmares?

(84 Posts)
Evie64 Wed 08-Apr-20 17:34:08

I've started having the most horrendously vivid nightmares shock. I know it's down to the situation we're all living through currently, not sleeping well, napping in the daytime etc., but anyone else?

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 23:28:29

The toilet dream I had recently was a new one ( usually I can’t find a loo, or the old faithful ,I find one, but the door is missing or it’s too disgusting to use) well in this case I come across the most splendid one, but you have to pay, it’s a turnstile.I even had the right money 50pence ( or fifty pee?)
Got in and found that the pristine and very large premises were actually all showers / baths/ washbasins and were all in use anyway, so no chance of a sneaky wee in one.Feel really conned and run out again.

Rachel711 Sat 11-Apr-20 21:09:54

Thankyou GreenGran , you too x

JonesKpj000 Fri 10-Apr-20 23:49:06

I know these dreams are vivid and may be unpleasant whilst it's happening, but I must say, i've nearly been crying with laughter at some of them. Thank you ladies for sharing them. I'm glad i'm not the only one! Sweet dreams everyone.

annep1 Fri 10-Apr-20 23:47:27

Yes. Since the crisis began I have had dreams where I've woken up shouting for help. All caused by anxiety I'm sure.

Baloothefitz Fri 10-Apr-20 23:37:49

Very wise Chestnut

Callistemon Fri 10-Apr-20 22:21:21

SueDonim a street sweeper in Buenos Aires - what an exciting new career opportunity
After lockdown, of course.

grin

rosecarmel Fri 10-Apr-20 22:05:25

smile

SueDonim Fri 10-Apr-20 13:11:36

The other night I dreamt that I was a tourist in Buenos Aires which was now in Venezuela. The pavements were very dirty and I was using a sweeping brush to clean them in the fashion they use in the game of curling, trying not to hit the heels of the people in front of me. I’ve never been to S America or played curling, although I have wielded a sweeping brush. confusedgrin

GreenGran78 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:33:01

Rachel711 How awful for you. Losing someone like that is so traumatic. My poor neighbour had a similar experience, and came running to our house for help. Her husband had had a massive heart attack, and couldn’t be saved, though we tried our best.
Stay safe and well.

millymouge Fri 10-Apr-20 00:21:48

Glad to read I am not the only one having very unpleasant dreams. I have stopped watching the late evening news as I think that has made them worse. Last night I had one with a man coming up to me to speak and then he caught hold of my shoulders and was holding me. I woke DH up struggling to free myself, most unpleasant. They have been very vivid recently. I am sure it is due to the current terrible situation.

Chestnut Fri 10-Apr-20 00:01:09

Dreams set in schools or round exams mean that you feel you are being tested and are anxious about failing. That is how we all feel at the moment, being tested in our resolve to abide by the rules and withstand the social distancing.

annodomini Thu 09-Apr-20 23:48:30

My most recurrent dream theme is exams and yet I was never specially worried about them when I had to take them. Last week, I dreamt I was taking a Latin exam and couldn't remember the word for 'plough'. I don't think I ever knew it even when I was thinking of taking Classics! Exams must stand for something else in my life which I brush under the carpet in my waking life.

Chestnut Thu 09-Apr-20 23:42:44

Most of these dreams represent fear of loss, concern for loved ones in one form or another, and searching for people. They are all virus related I feel, due to our anxiety about the situation. Dreams are just visual images of our feelings and if you think of them like that they can be interpreted. We all have extreme worries at the moment which are being played out in our dreams and keeping us sane.

Edithb Thu 09-Apr-20 22:33:44

I dreamt I was at a funeral wearing my nightie.

Callistemon Thu 09-Apr-20 22:31:16

Valerie it's the only recurring dream I tend to have.
It's always in the same place too, somewhere I visited just once many years ago, yes, I then wake up and have to trek to the loo!

ValerieF Thu 09-Apr-20 21:52:55

LOL Callistemon I didn't KNOW this was a dream anyone else has. I am ALWAYS having these dreams. You keep looking and looking and every loo you come across, you can't pee for one reason or another? Haha obviously our sub conscious telling us not to wet the bed eh?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 21:38:12

Definitely not sleeping properly. Wake so often about 2 and often stay awake for 2-3 hrs. I have decided it’s because I’m not getting the exercise I normally get plus the weird situation.

Rachel711 Thu 09-Apr-20 21:36:30

Last year in mid November, I repeatedly had the same dream, where I was being chased up a tower that had a spiral staircase. When I was at the top, I could see the night sky, and flew for a short while, to escape my pursuers . The last time I had the dream, I flew off the top of the tower, but was twanged back by a giant piece of elastic.
The following day, when I got up I found my husband unconscious. We tried CPR but couldn't revive him, neither could the paramedics. He died of heart failure, but no one knew he was ill.
I haven't had the dream since. I'm not saying it is connected in any way, but it seemed strange, and I keep thinking about it.

lemongrove Thu 09-Apr-20 19:37:48

Sorry, it was DH who walked off in my dream.

lemongrove Thu 09-Apr-20 19:36:41

I think it’s affecting us all, even DH who normally says he doesn’t dream.
Last night I was being chased by a man dressed as a crocodile,
?
The night before I saw a baby in a pram with a dark green head like a cabbage, it was crying, and I said to it’s Father ( he was pushing the pram) looks like it’s hungry.

The night before that, I was walking in a (very detailed) High St somewhere, but he walked off quickly and I couldn't find
him again, I was really angry and shouted up at the sky, Right! That’s it, I’m not playing these games, I’m going for a coffee and then going home!! At which point the dream faded and I woke up.
Looking for a toilet is a usual dream ? for me....but now it has ramped up somewhat.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 09-Apr-20 17:53:59

I am surprised if any one can sleep' like a babe' in this current situation.We do not how long it will last, in spite of the dedication of our wonderful NHS who must be thoroughly exhausted, none of us know when it will end.

Keffie12 Thu 09-Apr-20 16:55:16

I always have relaxation music on in our bedroom on a night. Helps me distract to sleep. I put it back on if I wake.

I have been using it since my husband passed 2 years ago unexpectedly. I use YouTube for it

Thousands of choice with it guided or just the music

Ninarosa Thu 09-Apr-20 16:48:04

I dreamed I visited my son and on entering asked where my five month old granddaughter was. He said '' oh, she's in the slow cooker, warm and cosy in there ". I screamed " no " and ran into the kitchen, pulling the lid off the slow cooker, to see my lovely Una's face bobbing about in gravy , dotted somewhat with carrots and beaming at me. Somehow that made it all ok and I left her there !

rosecarmel Thu 09-Apr-20 15:27:13

I had a vivid dream yesterday, but even my daydreams have been vivid lately too-

NanaPlenty Thu 09-Apr-20 14:38:34

My sleep has been quite disturbed but I am having long periods of complicated dreams involving all sorts of people and places. I’m laying in until much later than I normally would. I’m trying to do some deep breathing exercises to help with relaxation as some nights it’s hard to get to sleep. I wake every day thinking I must be imagining this is happening! It’s like something from a horror movie.