Gransnet forums

Chat

just for fun - describe your job in in a silly way

(64 Posts)
CanadianGran Thu 09-Apr-20 21:56:41

If your grandchildren would describe what you do/did for a living, how would they describe it?

I work with 3 computer screens with boxes and numbers showing, and my hands are like an octupus with phone, radio, keyboard and mouse. If all the boxes and numbers are behaving, sometimes I get a chance to chat on GN!

MRGUDER Fri 10-Apr-20 10:25:27

@maryhoffman37 - are you anything to do with politics? Lol.

Skweek1 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:39:17

I used to organise the lives of the men who thought they ran their companies and told them what to do.

Skweek1 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:46:18

DH used to build computers and tell people how to use them. Believe me, he was very tempted at times to tell some of the would-be users that they should get their 6-year-olds to advise them that their parents/grandparents were too stupid to be trusted with a computer and that they should put the computer in a box and send it back to the manufacturer.

Laurensnan Fri 10-Apr-20 10:49:07

Nanny has babies in her house that people leave on the doorstep for her. ( My granddaughter's words at me being a registered childminder ?)

henetha Fri 10-Apr-20 10:52:10

Nan sat at a desk all day with a big keyboard in front of her, but it was bigger than a keyboard and she had to keep pushing the top part along. She says this gave her RSI .
And she wrote words with lines and squiggles instead of letters; it made no sense at all. Somemtimes the boss would say words and she would write them down as squiggles.
Crazy!

Tallyann1 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:56:01

Nana’s a vampire ?‍♀️!!

Willow10 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:58:13

My son's teacher once called me in to see his Christmas calendar, which had apparently been all around the staff room. It was his picture of me and a description - 'My mum works in a care home wiping people's bums all day. She wears jumper and jeans. At Christmas she wears stockings and suspenders'. shock

Sickofweddingcake Fri 10-Apr-20 11:05:09

I work with teenagers, do a hell of a lot of marking...so much,that I have developed a weird lump on my thumb! ?

Patticake123 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:14:52

Nanny stands at the front and tells people how to look after people and gets cross when they don’t listen!

Sickofweddingcake Fri 10-Apr-20 11:16:03

Oh...and my hardest job was what Dot does!

nipsmum Fri 10-Apr-20 11:22:53

My gran made lots of beds nice and tidy and sometimes helped people to go to sleep and looked after them while they were sleeping. She sometimes gave them medicine too .She says she drove ambulances during the war but I think that's a joke.!!!

NannyC1 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:23:53

My Nanna helps a man and a woman cut people open.My other Nanna puts things in her ears and tells people to sing.

icanhandthemback Fri 10-Apr-20 11:41:25

Nanny used to crawl round under desks and scratch her head a lot when she was an Information Systems Manager. Before that she used to use her Sergeant Major voice in the playground, watch children misbehave in the classroom with no real recourse to discipline and endlessly tick boxes for the National Curriculum.
Now she does as little as possible.

Calendargirl Fri 10-Apr-20 11:50:24

Now retired, but used to stand or sit behind a glass screen. People brought in their money and gave it to me, I put it away, then different people would come in and I would give them the other people’s money.
I used to have a big bunch of keys on a chain around my waist.
I talked to the people, and tried to make them buy products off me. Sometimes they needed them, but sometimes they had needs which they never knew they had.
Often I just chatted to them, and didn’t try to make them buy things off me, but then my big bosses would be annoyed!

Folkestone78 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:23:07

People ring me up and tell me how ill they feel or sometimes they cone to meet me and bring gifts of samples of bodily functions with them!!

Daffydilly Fri 10-Apr-20 12:23:46

Nanny puts tablets in a bag and makes people eat them.

Folkestone78 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:24:49

Then we are a date in the diary to see the person who can help them and everyone’s happy,!

Folkestone78 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:26:35

Daffydilly... I think we make work next door to each other!!

Grammaretto Fri 10-Apr-20 12:39:35

DotMH1901 an excellent description grin

My DS aged abt 7 used to tell people when asked, that he was going to stay at home and do nothing like me when he grew up. He had 2 little siblings at the time.... You'll be pleased to know he was never allowed to forget it.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:09:39

Grandma cooks, bakes, plays with the cat and reads books.

Sometimes she and Granddad go off cycling or walking.

Grandma herself thinks she is the parlour maid, laundry maid, head cook and bottle washer, charwoman etc. etc.

Nanna58 Fri 10-Apr-20 14:10:05

Our 4yr old grandson says my husband” breaks boxes for poor people”! He volunteers at Oxfam, and we once caked in when he was getting rid of packaging! ??

Nanna58 Fri 10-Apr-20 14:11:29

Went in! He would have loved it if cake was involved! ?

mrswoo Fri 10-Apr-20 15:10:43

Granny used to teach people to stick things in their eyes.

Notagranyet1234 Fri 10-Apr-20 16:30:18

When people ask me what I do for a living my current answer is I get paid to be coughed on

Catterygirl Fri 10-Apr-20 17:25:31

My grandkids would say nana used to run an international dating agency but is now the EBay Queen. Have a safe day everyone.