Gransnet forums

Chat

Switching electricity provider

(8 Posts)
bumblebee34 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:39:53

Yes Lucky that is how it is, the contract is still with the supplier I think, well that is who have emailed me with details of dates and direct debit etc. LAMB contacted me very soon after signing up with the offer of what they had found and I gave them permission to go ahead. You can change your mind in a certain period of time I think. I have also had email from them asking if I am satisfied with how it is progressing etc. Seems a very good service.

NanaRayna Fri 10-Apr-20 10:40:52

I used the helpful Moneysavingexpert.com Cheap Energy Club to keep track of whether I was getting the best deal for my power. If you know roughly how much power you use, or even if it is a guess, they will let you know when you are paying over the odds for it. Whether you swap provider is up to you.
When I moved home I changed supplier to Octopus, who were cheapest at that time. Well, the costs went up last year, for everyone I think, but I am sticking with Octopus. I have never had such excellent customer service. Polite, cheerful, individual, and they really do listen to (or read) what it is you are telling them. They prompt you to give meter readings every month and send you an energy usage statement in response so you can keep track of your use and spending. They even have a little 'wheel of fortune' to play when you've sent a meter reading, so you might even win a few hundred quid! Their electricity is now entirely green- generated and the tariff I'm on is STILL an excellent deal.
Switching is easy, no matter which supplier you choose, and I used to do it often. Don't be shy, you don't lose any power while the switch is going through and you could save hundreds!

Luckygirl Fri 10-Apr-20 10:31:34

bumblebee34 - that was the option I was thinking about using. They get their commission from the companies that they switch you to, and only deal with companies that agree to this - so not the whole market I gather.

When they do a swap, is it hassle-free? I presume there would be new contracts to sign each time and a change in the direct debit. Is that how it works, or is the contractual arrangement with LAMB.

12Michael Fri 10-Apr-20 10:18:38

I have used one supplier over the years ,and although it has changed names to its current.
Use the online option to pass on meter reading when the quarterly bill is due.
i do not have smart meter at all , i keep a weekly record of use on excel , and from the submitted meter readings they can access usage , whether I up or remain the same , they also can adjust the direct debit , I also can adjust it as well.
Mick

libra10 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:15:35

I used uswitch to change from my old supplier to my new one. Saving a considerable amount of money.

bumblebee34 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:13:11

I have just signed up with ‘Look after my bills’ as my current energy provider’s tariff was due to end. It is a free service and they do all the switching for you so it is hassle free. They say they don’t always go for the absolute cheapest deal but also take into account customer service and satisfaction. You get the choice of whether you want green energy etc. They have found me a deal with substantial savings. Also they were very successful on the dragon’s den programme I think. It is continually monitored and they let you know as soon as another saving might be had elsewhere.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:32:52

I change my supplier at the drop of a hat. Year on year I refuse to pay the increased charge and go elsewhere. Tbh I suspect I could get it cheaper than I do at the moment, but I decided this year to go with totally renewable electricity supply.

It is dead easy to change though. Just go on any of the compare sites. Or Martin whatshisname and decide what you want.

Luckygirl Fri 10-Apr-20 09:23:31

Has anyone used one of these companies who track good deals for you and swap you over as and when it is advantageous? I have had some huge bills arrive and need to cut down on outgoings. I use a company that uses green energy. I suspect that this is why the costs are high.

I asked them how much they were charging per unit and they said 19.79p - that sounds a lot to me.