Gransnet forums

Chat

Daily Paper

(53 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Apr-20 14:18:26

Do you buy a daily paper and if so which one

Tea3 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:29:58

The Times and currently we are ironing it before reading. It's a shame we haven't got a butler to do it for us. I seem to remember Carson ironing Lord Grantham's newspaper in the first episode of Downton Abbey.

varian Fri 10-Apr-20 20:33:26

We read thd "i" which at the time of the referendum was found to be the only unbiased paper. It gives a good range of views . We also have a local paper once a week Before the lockdown we also bought The Times two or three times a week. We look at a range of papers on line, including The Guardian, Scotsman, Herald, Telegraph, Mirror and sometimes even the Daily Mail.

rosecarmel Fri 10-Apr-20 21:36:06

If there are any die-hard Rocky Horror Picture Show fans in this mix you may want to read this:

www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/04/07/plain-dealer-put-out-to-pasture-in-final-death-blow-remaining-reporters-given-impossible-choice

Jessity Fri 10-Apr-20 21:36:29

Times and Sunday Times, both on iPad app. No ironing needed ?

phoenix Fri 10-Apr-20 21:53:36

rosecarmel can't see any connection between Rocky Horror Picture Show and that link??confused

rosecarmel Fri 10-Apr-20 22:03:22

phoenix, the paper appeared in the movie- smile

Floradora9 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:05:43

We read the Times online and I took advantage of the Mail offering a month on line for a pound .

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 11:41:51

Does microwaving newspapers and the post kill Coronavirus?

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Apr-20 12:34:33

We have the Guardian delivered on Saturday and the Observer on Sunday. I think the standard of writing's very good, but I do find them both annoyingly biased at times. I get most of my news online, from a variety of sources.

We're leaving them in the quarantine zone for 12 hours at the moment, just in case, so the news is even more out of date by the time we read it. smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Apr-20 12:35:39

The quarantine zone being the top of my hostess trolley. I bet the wonderful Victoria Wood could never have imagined that this is what it would be used for!

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 12:37:47

Didn’t have a newspaper for years and years ( too far out in the sticks) .....but joy of joys, a new shop now in the village to stroll to and pick up a paper.We only buy one on Saturday though, The Times.

PamelaJ1 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:07:36

We have the Times delivered every day. I don’t read it anywhere near as thoroughly as DH and always do the killer Sudoku first. I hate Monday’s it’s an easy one and I always get it wrong because I don’t concentrate.

Witzend why don’t you just remove the front page? The inside of the paper won’t have been touched by human hand.

morethan2 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:52:37

It’s the i for us. Simply because the news is delivered in bite size pieces and plain language that I can grasp. Perhaps I just haven’t got a good attention span blush Seriously though I just can’t find the time to read any of the others and they’d be laying round the house for a week or more. ours is delivered and I don’t do anything to diminish any cross infection because I don’t believe there’s a big enough risk.
My old boss used to buy me the telegraph, some of my family read the times, the mirror or the mail and they do have interesting supplements. I bought my last car on the recommendation of the motoring expert in the telegraph
Just out of interest If you read newspapers on line do you have to pay?

Gummie Sat 11-Apr-20 17:25:54

Nope. Gave up newspapers years ago.

patcaf Sat 11-Apr-20 20:52:07

For so many years we bought the Mail and the Times each day. As news sources came online we stopped buying daily papers about 10 years ago. The journalism was going downhill and the Mail especially became unreadable. We still bought them on Sunday until about a year ago. We stopped the Mail first as it became more like a cheap racist magazine. We have now stopped the Times as we do not agree with its direction (personal choice obviously) and now use online sources which we trust. Still buy a couple of local papers.

grannysyb Sat 11-Apr-20 21:09:19

The Times delivered every weekday and on Sundays along with the Torygraph.

BlueSapphire Sat 11-Apr-20 21:14:23

Telegraph delivered every day. Have flirted with the Times, but always went back to the Telegraph. Suits me.

JenniferEccles Sat 11-Apr-20 23:15:06

The Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday.

Both of them of course are hated by those of a Left leaning persuasion but the Mail has been awarded Newspaper of the Year eight times and the MOS has also won awards.

Eloethan Sat 11-Apr-20 23:37:52

We get the I every day. It is a brilliant newspaper and only 65p. per day, £1.20 on Saturday. It is even cheaper by subscription, which we get. I think, 30% off.

It has everything other newspapers have but at a much lower price and with a much reduced degree of bias.

I prefer a newspaper to reading a paper on line.

TwiceAsNice Sat 11-Apr-20 23:48:02

I buy the Mail and Telegraph on Saturdays for myself and the Times for my daughter. I used to walk and but on a nearby shop but since the virus we have it delivered by a shop further away, the local one doesn’t do deliveries

My family rib needs for taking the Mail but I am unapologetic , I like the Saturday articles and the magazine and we all do the Telegraph quiz over coffee every week.

TwiceAsNice Sat 11-Apr-20 23:48:50

Buy in not but on. Didn’t preview sorry

vampirequeen Sun 12-Apr-20 10:31:26

It's not my political leanings that make me hate the DM. I just like to know the facts not a twisted or made up version of them.

Witzend Sun 12-Apr-20 10:51:26

PamelaJI, I would, or just iron the outside - it’s dh who’s become super-twitchy - and this after he carried on going to 2 classes - one in a leisure centre! - after it was obviously a daft thing to do and I’d said, ‘You’re surely not going, are you??’
Complete reverse now!!

But he’s always tended to go a bit OTT with all sorts.
Can’t go for a walk now - it has to be a route march, and social distance from others has to be about 5 metres! He keeps barking orders at me like a sergeant major - This way! Keep left!
Driving me a bit bonkers, tbh - but I do honestly appreciate that I’m lucky to have him, and that we’re both fit enough for route-march walks. (I do sometimes feel like going on my own
though!)

Lucca Sun 12-Apr-20 11:00:27

Jennifereccles, may I take this opportunity to thank you for talking about “those of a left leaning persuasion “. (I am not being sarcastic)
. Such a nice change from”leftie “. Or “leftie luvvie “ or “loony lefties”.

JenniferEccles Sun 12-Apr-20 11:13:59

Oh thanks Lucca I think!!

You are right that we should be careful about making derogatory comments about those whose political views differ from our own.