Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you have a childhood fantasy?

(59 Posts)
MamaCaz Sat 11-Apr-20 18:42:56

I did.
I used to fantisize that I had been adopted and my real parents were trapeze artists in a circus.
One day, they would 'find' me and I too would be a trapeze artist, and when not performing in the circus, I would ride bare-back through the countryside on a magnificent horse, only ever been seen from a distance and surrounded by an air of mystery!

Anyone else here who was an imaginative child? grin

Grannybags Sun 12-Apr-20 09:05:32

Me too Evie64

To own Black Beauty and belong to the Pony Club!

MamaCaz Sun 12-Apr-20 09:23:32

I'm enjoying reading these, and some have reminded me of other fantasies that I had too. smile

My circus family still haven't found me - one day, maybe - but I did lead a very mobile life for the first twenty years of my adult life, travelling from place to place, so maybe they tried but never caught up with me! grin

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:32:08

SirChenjin
grin sorry to spoil your dreams
I'll let you have your very own Bush plane so you can nip around the Outback and get to work on time.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:34:06

I did want a pony, for years and years
And to go to boarding school and take my pony with me (I read too many pony books).

Eglantine21 Sun 12-Apr-20 09:39:05

There was also a game that I played with my sister called “Squirrels” where we had to go round the garden and find stuff to hoard in some little cupboards and then we would shut ourselves in and pretend that we had to live there for months

Oh...........

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 09:40:38

Thank you Callistemon. I have very sick people to look after in remote sheep farms and villages so I do need a plane and a jeep. My husband looks like Bryan Brown in A Town Like Alice and says “oh my word” a lot and both he and Jake (my son) are very proud of me. My colleague - an older, very wise and kind male Dr and I have saved countless lives over the years but it’s all in a day’s work, and our patients are always delighted to see us - people run to the makeshift airstrips to welcome us when we arrive.

The Outback doesn’t know what it’s missing really.

rubysong Sun 12-Apr-20 09:41:15

I loved 'Wells Fargo', 'The Virginian', 'The Lone Ranger' etc. and longed to go and live in 'Cowboy Land', as I called it. DS1 now lives in rural California where people are walking around in cowboy boots, hats and shirts and at the end of their lane there are rodeos.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:42:30

That's made my day, SirChenjin grin

She'll be right, mate!

gillybob Sun 12-Apr-20 09:48:56

Oh I love the sound of your squirrels game Eglantine smile

Actually I love the word squirrels .

SirChenjin Sun 12-Apr-20 10:13:11

Thanks to the Flying Doctor service, she will be right mate grin

I’ve actually really enjoyed reliving that fantasy I had as a child - and now that my DD is about to qualify as a nurse who knows what down under direction I’ll nudge her in...

Purplepixie Sun 12-Apr-20 10:20:28

I always wanted to be a hairdresser until I worked as a Saturday girl in my dad’s cousins salon in Sunderland. It was hell! I had the job of washing hair and sweeping up at first and then I was shown how to trim hair. Well at the age of 15 I thought I knew everything and I decided to “trim” my friend’s hair. It all went badly wrong and my mam went mad! She had to get her to a hairdressers quick and get it sorted before her parents saw it. The girl Never spoke to me again and my mam had to pay the bill. I decided to pack in the Saturday job and served fuel at a garage instead. Less stressful but that dream was shattered. I also dreamt of being a great saxophonist but that never happened. When this virus has gone I plan to try and learn the instrument though.

timetogo2016 Sun 12-Apr-20 10:25:59

I wanted to be a mountain climber.
And at the moment i`m climbing the b..ddy walls.

Nortsat Sun 12-Apr-20 10:28:19

I wanted to be Samantha from Bewitched.
Obviously, I would use my witchly powers to give Sindy dolls with many varied outfits to my friends and myself. Of course, there would be no toys for the girls I didn’t like and especially none for my older sister!
But mostly I wanted long, blonde, flicked-up hair like Samantha’s and to wear trendy dresses with chain belts!

(I had enough common sense even as a small child, not to want Samantha’s useless husband, Darren).

Chewbacca Sun 12-Apr-20 10:33:32

Bewitched for me Norstat; I spent hours trying to get my nose to twitch, convinced that when I could actually do it, I'd have the power!

Grandma70s Sun 12-Apr-20 10:34:53

My fantasy was going to the Royal Ballet School as a boarder. Any stage school would have been acceptable as a second best, bu5 the Royal Ballet School was the dream. I think I knew deep down I wasn’t good enough, but that didn’t stop the fantasy.

Another earlier fantasy was living in a pretty but poor cottage in the wilds of Ireland, eating ‘stirabout’. I assumed this was a kind of porridge. I had come across it in the novels of Patricia Lynch. I think I imagined myself with a shawl round my head and shoulders, and bare feet. Why I should have found this desirable I have no idea!

Dottydots Sun 12-Apr-20 10:55:50

When I was in my early teens I was football mad and used to fantasise that Billy Wright, the Wolves player, would ask me out.

Cunco Sun 12-Apr-20 12:09:45

I don't think I had a childhood fantasy; but I've had a few since.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 14:52:08

Behave Cunco !

Not even as a teenager?

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 14:53:38

Billy Wright married Joy Beverley of the Beverley Sisters.

Grandad1943 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:12:10

I had an early youth fantasy, she was the Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida, cuoooool. ?

She could have had me if she had played her cards right. ??

Grandad1943 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:17:53

There was also Sophia Loren that was also a fantasy of mine. I always did have "a thing" about a big cleavage. ??

BradfordLass73 Sun 12-Apr-20 23:58:29

I had just one fantasy and it began very early (pre-school) and continued until it actually came about.

I wanted to get out of Bradford.

In the late 40's and onward, Bradford wasn't the cleaned up, 'heritage' city it is now. It neither knew nor cared about heritage, it was just filthy and run down and I loathed it.

I also had only one reply to the oft-repeated question, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?'
'A farmer's wife.'

Cunco Mon 13-Apr-20 07:22:44

Callistemon You tell me to behave and then show me the path to destruction! ?

To be serious, I don't think I've had many fantasies about the future or, for that matter, regrets about the past. Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, there are things that one could, and sometimes should, have done better. Maybe, my limited abilities and imagination have been fully engaged in making the best of the here-and now. That sounds a bit pompous but it's the best I can do without getting into trouble. ?

SirChenjin Mon 13-Apr-20 09:14:44

You didn’t have any fantasies as a child about what you where going to do when you grew up?

Callistemon Mon 13-Apr-20 09:40:43

I thought all little boys wanted to be train drivers?