Gransnet forums

Chat

Easter Bunny

(34 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 12-Apr-20 11:04:39

No Easter bunny ever visited my house as a child or this house when my children were small.
I and they had eggs but we knew the adults bought them. We never had egg hunts either.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Apr-20 10:52:04

Easter Bunny leaves little eggs in a basket outside C / GCs bedrooms.

They get their Easter Eggs from family and an Easter Egg hunt.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Apr-20 10:43:31

I've always done an Easter egg hunt in my garden, first for my DS and then for GC. Of course they know that rabbits don't lay eggs, they're not daft! They know it's the adults me who buys and hides the eggs and surprises but it's just a family game that happens once a year and gives everyone pleasure and fun. But sadly, not this year. I'll make up for it next year though! grin

Harris27 Sun 12-Apr-20 10:35:52

I give them to my grandchildren they don’t do Easter hunts for the or like Christmas have them laid out! We do a little egg hunt in the garden sadly not this year though.

Urmstongran Sun 12-Apr-20 10:31:48

Our grandchildren aged 7y & 3y apparently came downstairs this morning and were delighted to find two creme eggs in the cereal box, then shrieked with glee when they saw two more creme eggs in the fridge when the opened it to get the milk for their breakfast cereal! What’s not to like? What the Easter Bunny left cost pennies. Other eggs they know are from family & friends.

A bit of magic. Like the tooth fairy. And Father Christmas brings 2 presents - the rest again, they know are from family & friends.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Apr-20 10:21:00

Oh GrannyLaine I completely agree and would go to the ends of the earth to preserve the magic for children. We always celebrated Easter with games and egg hunts, but the children knew that we had bought the eggs for them. They were a gift from us, and from other relatives and friends, not from a mythical bunny. It meant that children understood, just as at Christmas, that some of their friends received more than they did because their parents could afford more. It wasn't because Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny preferred other children to them and gave more treats to others than they received.

GrannyLaine Sun 12-Apr-20 09:39:51

Just my personal view, but why spoil the little bit of magic that children still have in their lives? Parents can choose whether they use commercially produced stuff or make their own. My (now adult) children loved their Easter celebrations & now provide great fun for their own children. The same goes for Christmas celebrations: modest gifts but great love.

Beechnut Sun 12-Apr-20 09:28:19

Someone will make a lot of money from your idea. Just saying ??

Bathsheba Sun 12-Apr-20 08:49:56

So these days it's the 'Easter Bunny' that brings all the Easter eggs. Children everywhere are coming downstairs on Easter Sunday morning to find that 'The Easter Bunny has been' hmm And according to some posts on Facebook, they also leave treasure maps, so the children can find the eggs that they've brought.

Now look, I love the traditional Easter egg hunt, but our children and grandchildren have always been told, and were/are happy with the idea, that the grown ups buy the eggs and hide them for them to find. And yes, a treasure map is a great idea to add another dimension to this age old Easter game. But it is NOT THE EASTER BUNNY THAT DOES IT.

How long before the shops start selling Easter Bunny 'advent' calendars? And maybe they'll have little baby chick helpers, some of whom will be hiding in the house watching to see if the children are being good, while the rest are elsewhere (in a secret fantasy chocolate land, of course), busily wrapping up all the chocolate eggs that their mummies are laying grin