Gransnet forums

Chat

are Wasps bigger this year?

(38 Posts)
Teetime Sun 12-Apr-20 11:02:31

We have seen some huge ones and DD2 was stung on the hand in bed- she insists it was a hornet but we think it was a large wasp.

M0nica Sun 12-Apr-20 10:53:49

Infoman, I agree with you. We have had three huge wasps in the house over the last few days. And I can tell a wasp from a bee - and they were definitely wasps.

I just assumed they were Queen wasps looking for somewhere to nest. They seem to like our house, we have had a number of wasps nests in our roof.

We think the house is now reasonably protected from wasps, squirrels and jackdaws, all of which have taken over roof and chimneys at various times. The problem of living in a very old house.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:54:32

We had bumbles bees nesting in a roof space just outside the bathroom window so had to keep the window shut in summer a couple of years ago.
However, one day they just flew away and haven't returned since.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Apr-20 09:49:55

Bees, that is, not wasps.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Apr-20 09:49:05

I was up in the early hours convinced I could hear buzzing. Many years ago I came home from work to find that we’d a whole colony in the house, so I’m always on red alert!

Greyduster Sun 12-Apr-20 09:46:37

According to one tabloid newspaper I wouldn’t wrap my chips in, we are to expect an influx of Asian hornets as they are “heading for the UK”!?. You would not want to try and catch one of those with the little plastic cup and piece of card that is my go to for removing bees and wasps!

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:39:51

I've got a spider catcher and use it to catch bees and take them outside. Last year we had a lot in the conservatory over a few days, no peace for me as I was jumping up bee catching every few minutes.

NanTheWiser Sun 12-Apr-20 09:31:42

Yep, as Callistemon says, queens are looking for nest sites. I had a big one in my kitchen yesterday, which got shooed out.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Apr-20 09:29:51

Ah, hadn't thought of that Call. We had a honeybee in the kitchen yesterday, which I helped out the window with a long feather duster smile

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:27:31

We've had some, exploring the conservatory, behind d cushions etc. I shifted them on their way.
They are beneficial but not near my house, thank you!

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 09:25:59

They could be queen wasps coming out of hibernation and looking for somewhere to establish a nest.

Bathsheba Sun 12-Apr-20 09:25:53

Wasps? In April? hmm. Are you sure they weren't honey bees or hover flies?

infoman Sun 12-Apr-20 09:21:49

Had three in the conservatory in the last day,
and they just seem to be bigger.
Any one else notice this as well?