Gransnet forums

Chat

Vegans rule okay?

(32 Posts)
M0nica Mon 13-Apr-20 15:59:54

I find proslytisng vegans and vegetarians so often work on the assumption that if you eat meat, you are a carnivore and spend your time eating, meat, meat and more meat.

In fact most of us are omnivores we eat a wide range of foods, meat, fish, shell fish, dairy, fruit and veg, grains, legumes, you name it and we probably eat it.

Throughout my life I have eaten a wide range of foods and had meals and days, where, without intention I have actually eaten no meat or fish, or even no animal products.

There are such a wonderful range of foods out there to be tasted and enjoyed, while I have every respect for anyone who chooses not to eat certain foods for ethical reasons, I will continue to eat across the full range of available foodstuffs.

Davidhs Mon 13-Apr-20 13:56:55

Don’t listen to all this Vegan propaganda in the media the fact is vegans are less than 1% of the population, they get far too much attention. Granted a lot more do eat some vegan meals, even I had a vegan lunch yesterday, beans on toast, but it’s steak and chips today. Don’t be influenced by self publicists or activists, eat what you enjoy.

SueDonim Mon 13-Apr-20 12:18:18

Most of the few things in the freezer of the supermarket I went to last week were vegan! Lots of Quorn and own-brand vegan products.

NanaandGrampy Mon 13-Apr-20 11:47:09

I’d be starving if the situation was as you describe Paulsroom . Luckily I live rurally , our local butcher delivers contact free and the majority of his meat comes from a 20 mile radius.

A free range chicken farm at the bottom of the lane with 2000+ chickens mean eggs are plentiful , our local greengrocers sells local cheese and the local farm sells milk and cream ( bring your own container ?) .

The only thing in short supply in our house is plain flour which I can’t buy for love or money !

GagaJo Mon 13-Apr-20 11:31:10

I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian (although WAS veggie for 15 years). I don't eat much meat though. I don't really think about whether I'm going to eat a veggie meal or not, I just cook what I fancy and what I have the ingredients for. If it includes meat, fine. If not, equally fine.

M0nica Mon 13-Apr-20 11:19:52

I have had no difficulty getting any dairy products and have never run out of any of them.. The only meat in short supply is chicken, which is the only meat I buy from the supermarket. The rest comes from a local pork producer/butcher, who also does delicious sausages, pies etc and a Pasture for life farm that raises its cattle and sheep on entirely on pasture and hay on their farm.

I continue to have an omniverous diet.

paulsroom Mon 13-Apr-20 11:04:10

I'm not a Vegan and I have felt that their public outcries have exhibited food activism rather than gentle persuasion. Aesop's fable about the sun and wind always comes to mind when views are expressed vociferously. However I do a lot of home cooking and like a lot of choices, so some of my meals are Vegan by default. In the current situation when you can't get eggs or cheese easily and you want to reduce the amount of milk you have, there are many recipes that follow Vegan rules.