Gransnet forums

Chat

Word of advice re online food shopping

(52 Posts)
dragonfly46 Mon 13-Apr-20 13:37:14

Last week I managed to secure a slot on the Sainsbury site for this Wednesday. I duly ordered all my food. This morning I added a few things but got diverted and didn't check out within 2 hours.
When I next went on to the site it said I had no delivery slot.
In panic I rang them which of course was initially fruitless as they kept saying they could not take my call.
I used the house phone and my mobile and eventually got through to be told that if you don't check out within the allotted time the delivery spot would be cancelled even though I had had an email to say it was fine.
Fortunately the guy on the phone was able to give me a slot on Thursday.

BlueSky Mon 13-Apr-20 15:04:33

Yes that happens normally. You need to add to your order and check out straight away especially at the moment. I'm even hesitant to do that given the present traffic.

Callistemon Mon 13-Apr-20 15:57:05

You have to pay for your order and check out in the time it tells you, but you are able to go in and amend your order up until a certain time before delivery.
It should be the same with Sainsburys as other supermarkets.

Keeley Mon 13-Apr-20 16:04:33

Do others have a problem trying to register with Morrisons online? I keep getting the message that my email address does not correspond with my postcode. Both have bee the same for years.

Daisymae Mon 13-Apr-20 16:25:10

Yes, I did this when all this first started and sat back confidently saying I had it in hand when I had actually forgot to check out again. Nowadays I approach the order with care and doubly make sure that I check out before I leave the screen.

hulahoop Mon 13-Apr-20 16:33:53

I have just filled a Morrison slot mine kept going down I managed to get to checkout and pay something came up just a few lines before I could read it it went so I'm not sure if it as taken my order .i don't normally shop on line .can anyone advise should I get any other confirmation .

dragonfly46 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:38:33

As a follow up it must have been a glitch on the site as I now have two deliveries but I am loathe to cancel the second until the first one arrives. I thought I always checked out in time.

dragonfly46 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:39:09

Hula you should get a confirmation email.

hulahoop Tue 14-Apr-20 15:06:41

Thanks dragonfly I didn't and order never arrived I have been back on site my shopping trolley is there with order still in but no slot I managed to get into my account which said I had not had a order in last 90days so hopefully they didn't take money .

sharon103 Tue 14-Apr-20 20:22:18

With Morrisons, when you get on to do your shopping I think at the top it will tell you the time your slot is open for. If you over run it will take you back to the queue again.
When you get to your turn again your shopping list will still be there. Carry on shopping or check out.
You will get a confirmation email.
Morrisons charge the bill amount when you have had your groceries delivered. I've shopped online with them for more than 3 years.
They have plenty of available days and slots. It's best to click on the calendar box as you can choose into the beginning of May.
Hope this makes sense.

merlotgran Tue 14-Apr-20 20:34:29

With Sainsbury's and I think with Tesco as well, the money isn't actually taken from your bank account until the morning of delivery.

Once you have booked your slot you should get straight on with making an order even if you know it's not exactly what you want. Once you have checked out, your slot and order are secure so you can go back and fine tune it any time up until about 11pm the night before delivery.

I often just go down my 'favourites' list and add my usual items first because I can then check my cupboards and freezer etc., close to the 11th hour so to speak.

Your confirmation e-mail will give you a list of what you've ordered. If you amend it you must remember to check out again or you will only get your original items.

BlueSapphire Tue 14-Apr-20 20:38:07

Logged in to Sainsbury's a couple of times this morning and nothing. Tried again after lunch and bingo! - a slot for tomorrow afternoon! Thought I'd better take advantage.

GagaJo Tue 14-Apr-20 20:41:29

I'm getting deliveries from Asda. They're not perfect, but they're the only one I could get a delivery slot from. I was lucky enough to work out that if I bought an annual delivery pass, I could then book a regular weekly slot. They aren't selling delivery passes ATM so I was lucky to get it when I did.

They've changed the way they operate now. You can ONLY change your order within the 2 days before it's due. And even then, they prefer you to only change it once. I try to stick to it, because it must be a nightmare of organisation, but I do keep remembering bits and have changed tomorrow's delivery twice.

janeainsworth Tue 14-Apr-20 20:44:23

I learned the hard way that when you amend an order, you have to check out again, otherwise the stuff just sits in your basket and isn’t added to your actual order.
Older and wiser now!

annep1 Tue 14-Apr-20 20:45:41

My local Eurospar which has recently expanded with a great variety of stock, took my order on the telephone and I collected it half an hour later. So easy.

harrigran Tue 14-Apr-20 20:50:32

Morrisons have let us down today, took the money out of the bank and said the meal box would be delivered by DPD. Morrisons said the van driver would text us with a time slot, zilch. No meals and complaint email said would take 7 to 10 days to answer.
Taking care of the vulnerable ? I don't think so.

sharon103 Tue 14-Apr-20 20:54:54

merlotgran Tue 14-Apr-20 20:34:29

That's what I do. Go to my saved favourites, add to the basket and take off and add later. At the moment here we have to amend 72 hours before delivery time.

sharon103 Tue 14-Apr-20 21:00:55

Have you contacted DPD harrigran. Have you a tracking order number to trace it on their site?

harrigran Tue 14-Apr-20 21:07:05

DH busy doing that. Feel let down, it is the first thing we managed to arrange. We have not been able to have any shopping delivered at all.

harrigran Tue 14-Apr-20 21:25:05

DPD only deliver up to 8pm, their HQ said that Morrison's did not give them any parcels to deliver. DH has waited 45 minutes to get through to a human to talk to, he now has to phone someone else. It is a shambles, thank goodness we are not any more frail.

annep1 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:35:53

Another word of advice. If you book Tesco delivery by entering one item and checking out, be sure to go back in and amend your order before delivery day. I forgot and paid almost £7 for 2L of milk yesterday. €2 delivery slit and £4 minimum basket charge. Wouldn't you think they could have put something in that cost £3? Bad service.

kittylester Thu 04-Jun-20 10:50:13

Sainsbury's sent emails which is what reminds me to keep update.

I dont thiIk i could forget I had an on line order coming though as they are too important and not easy to come by.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 11:18:50

It is just a case of getting used to a new system.
I nearly came a major cropper 8 years ago when I took on the responsibility for providing the “Bridesmaids’Breakfast” for youngest DD’s wedding in London. All 7 (!) girls (not I hasten to add in matching bridesmaids frocks) plus bride, DDs 1 and 2 and me, were going to be getting ready at youngest daughters flat - hairdresser, changing etc etc sustained by smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, bagels and (liberal) Buck’s Fizz.
So I placed my order with Ocado for it to be delivered to the flat the afternoon before the day of the wedding.
We were due to set off to drive to our hotel (near the wedding and the reception venues, not the flat) the day before and I was uneasy because I had not had my usual text from Ocado confirming delivery later that afternoon so I rang them and it turned out that after amending the order I had not checked out again and the order had not been placed.
Panic - I had only had one job and I had failed.blush
Flung myself on customer services mercy and they found me a slot at about 7 am on the morning of the wedding and all was sorted.
I now never ever fail to check I have checked out and received the confirmation email.

MawB Thu 04-Jun-20 11:21:31

Annep1 not “bad service” from Tesco - it was your responsibility.
How many thousands, tens of thousand of orders are placed each day? There is no nice man checking each one who could pop something into your trolley to make it up to the minimum required! gringrin

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:31:35

I think Morrisons have had a computer glitch for a few days because I have been unable to checkout properly. Today I was told my name and password do not match- so I have renewed my password and have completed an online order for delivery on the 25th of this month.

I will check again about 3 days before to see if any of the unobtainable items are back in stock again and add or subtract to my list as I see fit.