Gransnet forums

Chat

how are you coping without visits to hairdresser

(98 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 14-Apr-20 09:05:50

I ended up taking the scissors to my fringe and also cutting off about an inch from the length. Neither was very successful. But as not going out i am not too bothered. I thought it more important to keep fringe under control than risk keep touching my face moving it out of my eyes and also risking a fall 'cos i couldn't see where i was going!! smile

JaneRn Wed 15-Apr-20 17:55:07

I have been going to the same hairdresser for over 40 years! Is this a record? You could say we are growing old together!
I have it cut every six weeks, never do anything to it between times, just get in the shower and shake it dry. I have never had it dyed so that is not a problem, but I am rather dreading how long it will be by the time we emerge from lockdown. I am too old to have a pony tail.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Apr-20 17:36:31

I’ve now almost grown my fringe out. Must get some clips. The rest is looking a shambles.

songstress60 Wed 15-Apr-20 17:10:50

You can learn on Youtube how to cut hair. You have to do it when it is wet. It is easy then, but colouring it is a different matter. My cut looks great even though I say it myself.

Billybob4491 Wed 15-Apr-20 17:08:57

I could only find the nail scissors to cut my fringe, gave it a go, I was definitely not cut out to be a hairdresser!

Taichinan Wed 15-Apr-20 17:00:33

Got an email from my hairdressers (not just me, all customers) telling us on no account mess about with our hair (that was the gist anyway! So mine is just getting longer and when the fringe grows too long I will contact Mr Amazon for grips to pin it back. And lots more hairspray! I might then branch out into rubber bands. Going to be interesting, and maybe it's just as well nobody will see me!!

Rosina Wed 15-Apr-20 15:34:19

Years ago I was letting my fringe grow out; one day it drove me insane at work, flopping into my eyes, and I rushed into the house, grabbed the scissors, held the fringe down (NEVER DO THIS) and cut it. When I let go the fringe stood out like a 1" row of bristles from my hairline. I managed to get an appointment with the hairdresser at six that evening, and she cut a much thicker and heavier fringe to disguise the spikes. Absolute reverse of what I had been trying to achieve, and all my own fault. I swore then never to get scissors near my own hair, and as it is growing I am using clips and will eventually, if necessary, twist it round, use a big grip and have an 'up do'. Much less traumatic.

lizzypopbottle Wed 15-Apr-20 14:26:25

I squeaked in with a haircut and colour the day before lockdown. I made an appointment for five weeks but I doubt that will go ahead. I managed to get a home colourant on Amazon so will do the roots if I get really desperate. I also got a highlighting cap so might experiment with that in a couple of weeks time ?

sluttygran Wed 15-Apr-20 14:19:09

Coping? No, I've just embraced the Stone Age look. I am a Betty Rubble lookalikegrin

gerbils3433 Wed 15-Apr-20 14:18:35

I wonder if any of us will be able to get an appt with a hairdresser when this lockdown finishes. I am sure there will be some form of waiting list!

Helen2806 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:47:21

I also went grey a couple of years ago thank goodness. I have just trimmed my own fringe, after watching a couple of YouTube videos, and am pretty pleased with the result. The rest of it is just having to grow for now, and I’ll get back to my brilliant hairdresser once this is over.

hapgran Wed 15-Apr-20 13:46:48

Thankfully stopped colouring my hair a couple of years ago. I also have a short pixie cut. I ordered thinning scissors online and have been using those plus ordinary scissors. Am actually really pleased with the result. Normally have my hair cut every 3 weeks but wondering if I might save myself some money and continue my diy efforts after lockdown!!

Pussycat2012 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:42:31

Have blonde shoulder length hair and my dark roots will creep up soon to haunt me. I’ve never coloured my hair before myself and rely on my excellent hairdresser who I hate visiting as like so many others hate sitting infront of a mirror making idle chit chat with so endure my visit though always happy with the result. I wouldn’t have a clue where to begin to touch up my own roots but am open to advice from others....?

Whiteknight22 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:30:26

I usually have my hair cut short and it looks fairly straight (It is naturally curly) but now it is growing, fringe, sides and everywhere is curling. I’ve really thought about cutting it but then my friend would probably never be able to get it back into style for ages.

Sheilasue Wed 15-Apr-20 13:29:09

Mine is quite short but was due a haircut this Friday to keep its style. It’s like Judy Dench’s hair what grows out is round the ears and the fridge, I look like I have Elvis sideboards and long fridge, so I usually go every 4 weeks.
I have found a pair of straighteners and may invest in some rollers if we are still in lockdown after June.
At least with long hair you can plait, put in a pony tail or bun on head etc.

Elizabeth1 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:11:37

I’m just happy to let my hair grow when all this is over I’ll get my lovey hairdresser to visit me st home as she has been doing before the lockdown here’s hoping my grey hairs refuse to grow I’m never pleased when I see grey roots. I’ll just have to do a home kit myself there’s all sorts of products out there. Face hair is another thing I bought a lovely no no prior to my illness it works wonders there’s not going to be a beard on my face nor a mouser. Yuck wink

Thecatshatontgemat Wed 15-Apr-20 13:03:43

Don't go to hairdressers if l can help it .
Clip back mane and do my roots every three weeks. And yes l know nobody else sees it or cares about if l have grey showing. But l do.
I am NOT ready to embrace the grey yet!!
Plenty of boxes of hair colour in the shops that are still open, if you know where to go.....

Tabbycat Wed 15-Apr-20 12:49:33

I had a hair appointment on the day the lockdown started, so my hair really needed cutting then. My fringe was already in my eyes and the layers looking shaggy! I shopped online for about six hairbands - different types and colours. So, I'm now in the process of trying them out with varying degrees of success. I gave up dyeing my hair three years ago, so I'm now a silver tabby (or vixen wink)!

I'm just wondering what will happen when this lockdown is lifted and the hairdressers re-open - will they have to hire skips to get rid of all the mounds of hair they cut off grin?

Patticake123 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:48:58

I’ve done mine. I used clippers with the longest blade for the sides and back then got a utube video to show me how to use scissors on the top and I’m quite chuffed with my effort.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:21:30

I also have a bit of a pixie cut Liz46 which was due for a trim next week but that won't happen now. It needs trimming and I may use this time to experiment with a different style if we are out of action for much longer.
However in the great scheme of things etc ...

CarlyD7 Wed 15-Apr-20 12:15:58

I was due to go to the hairdresser for a cut and highlights just as the lockdown happened, so it's badly in need of both and the colour is fading, so may need to find a home colour (no idea which one). I did try to go grey a few years ago, but it just didn't suit me and I looked washed out, with dark smudges under my eyes. My hairdresser said that my skin was "the wrong shade for grey hair" (whatever that means) so she suggested blonde instead. However, not seeing anyone (except on SKYPE and FACETIME) so it doesn't matter.

creativz Wed 15-Apr-20 12:11:10

I’ve managed to trim my own hair to shoulder length for the past 20 years and have worn it up for most of that time, but I now need it cut short as am struggling with arthritis in my thumbs, I can’t tie a ponytail anymore. ?

Milly Wed 15-Apr-20 12:08:03

Poppyred, that's what I do too brush it forward and cut round edge, but last nights not very even, fortunately curly so not so obviously uneven. On line hair dye arrived this morn so had fun with that. Usually have visiting hairdresser but notalways pleased with her result so no difference really!

Theoddbird Wed 15-Apr-20 12:00:43

I have learnt from styles from the 1940s....the art of tying a scarf in s snazzy way. Works well smile

Blinko Wed 15-Apr-20 11:55:40

Disco smile

Harris27 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:45:21

Doing ok cut fringe yesterday and bob is just a bit longer. Colour my own hair and it still looks ok next time I colour it will leave it on a tad longer just in case I can’t get my normal colour at shops.