Gransnet forums

Chat

Where’s Boris

(105 Posts)
Annecan Mon 20-Apr-20 10:12:55

I sincerely wish him well, but it’s not good for the nation to have an absent leader
The daily press conferences are becoming a farce, andIm starting to feel we are being treated like children
Give us leadership, give us all the facts, and tell us why you are following a particular scientific approach as compared to others

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:53:27

Talking to Trump apparently????.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 21-Apr-20 15:41:20

Coggie

"I wonder why we never see NHS staff speak directly to camera about their struggles to obtain PPE."

Don't you watch the news - they do, a lot!

They even projected it on to the Houses of Parliaament!

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/nhs-staff-plea-for-ppe-in-video-projected-onto-palace-of-westminster/17/04/?fbclid=IwAR1RBknxljZhTAqlg5mHweEJFqveLB_TQ3BUwUSEp6ZgbDexlFuv-BExiho#.XpzWSdFjjFU.facebook

Although the NHS Trusts are also trying to gag them!
Sorry can't remember where I saw that so at the moment can't provide a link ....

This doesn't help though ....

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/20/exclusivemillions-pieces-ppe-shipped-britain-europe-despite/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1W2i51E7tOKfQOgN36EVRZ39FwyyqSHDlDjxyIaAoHpFndlSL6xz6Twp8#Echobox=1587415471

maddyone Tue 21-Apr-20 12:25:33

I’m not sure that a royal getting married or having a baby will have any relevance to the publication of the inquiry, or could be arranged to coincide with the publication of an inquiry, however I totally agree with trisher that it will take so long that no one will actually know what happened.
I also wonder how much it will all cost as these things are notoriously expensive and simply to be a whitewash seems to me to be a complete waste of money that we won’t be able to afford after all this.

trisher Tue 21-Apr-20 12:06:40

Well if the inquiry takes as long as most of them have by the time it reports no one will be quite sure what actually happened, and of course they will manage some feel good event to try and out publicise its publication. Now which royal can get married? Or could Kate have another baby?

Starblaze Tue 21-Apr-20 11:47:15

Of course it will be a whitewash. I cancelled a trip to France because I could see they would lock down. They did. We followed what? 2 weeks later? Those 2 weeks would have been enough on their own to save many lives. So much more could have been done. As I've said on other threads, I'm a moderate. Id be saying the same whichever governmentt was in charge right now. I have absolutely no way of knowing if labour would have done a better job. Although I do know who was calling for faster action. So how on earth is this being made political?

maddyone Tue 21-Apr-20 11:14:45

But will the inquiry be a whitewash? Most of them are.

Iam64 Tue 21-Apr-20 09:16:35

There will be an inquiry in time.
The fact that in 2016 there was one of those disaster management events, which confirmed to government and NHS/PHE that in the event of a pandemic, there was an absence of PPE. Was anything done? No.

Urmstongran, I think the idea that because some NHS employees vote Labour, they'd be exaggerating problems to undermine the government during this crisis is, well, stretching it. My local hospital is so short of gowns and other equipment, that we have a group of people sewing these items. There's a fund raiser to buy more fabric. We all recognise we're living in unprecedented times but......

Lucca Mon 20-Apr-20 22:44:34

Urmstongran, no answer as yet.

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Apr-20 22:44:33

I agree that "this thread is taking a rather surreal turn" GrannyLaine. Thanks for the link to a sensible and well informed article.

Starblaze Mon 20-Apr-20 21:05:42

I'm also reacting to the PMs own speeches, announcements and words, not written opinion.

Starblaze Mon 20-Apr-20 21:03:48

Interesting. I don't read The Times though. I could see what was coming before the government did and I'm only a lowly keyworker. When I watched countries shutting down in the weeks before us, I knew that was what we needed to do. So did many other experts who weren't listened to.

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 20:38:37

healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/04/19/response-to-sunday-times-insight-article/

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 20:38:18

You might want to look at the DOH response to the Sunday Times article Starblaze

Starblaze Mon 20-Apr-20 20:29:37

No, the government could have prevented a lot of deaths, simple fact. They had the information and didn't act on it. Boris failed to even attend meetings about it. Its all very well known

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 20:20:08

And what about all the other thousands of people infected Starblaze? Are they to blame for their fate?
Yes, I was aware that he is the Prime Minister.

Starblaze Mon 20-Apr-20 20:10:08

He went qaround shaking hands instead of taking the precautions he should. He is the Prime Minister.

SalsaQueen Mon 20-Apr-20 20:05:50

We know where he is - he's recovering from Covid-19, so unless you've been living somewhere with no television, no newspapers or radio, your question is daft.

GrannyLaine Mon 20-Apr-20 19:58:03

and his failure to take this seriously is how he infected himself

....and you know this how?
How did everyone else who has contracted covid19 "infect themselves" ??

This thread is taking a rather surreal turn confused

Smileless2012 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:29:25

Well damned if he had and damned that he didn't Hetty. One can just imagine the headlines all about the majority who voted, voting for Bexit, now 'needing the EU' to get PPE.

The Italians are members of the EU and a high ranking EU official said the EU should apologise to Italy for the way the EU let them down, when they needed it the most.

France and Germany have been heavily criticised for not sharing their resources with other EU members.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:28:11

So, why exactly does anyone care where he is?

Starblaze Mon 20-Apr-20 19:26:28

Eglantine that is not the comparison I made. Besides, he failed to lead before he was ill and his failure to take this seriously is how he infected himself.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:14:05

Our government got the opportunity, in spite of us not being in the EU, to join in the EU bulk purchase and did not take up the offers -why?

Lucca Mon 20-Apr-20 19:10:31

Sorry but missed out a bit from your post. It starts with “ Let’s not forget that not everyone voted for Boris.”

Hetty58 Mon 20-Apr-20 19:10:02

Urmstongran, wrong, in a crisis, with emergency laws, the responsibility to provide PPE is firmly with the government.

Why do people keep applying 'normal' rules to a crisis situation? Anyone?

Lucca Mon 20-Apr-20 19:07:56

Urmstongran. “. I’d imagine there are some doctors in that cohort.

It’s not unrealistic to think that some of them might just be a tad politically motivated in their criticisms“

Explain? Are you saying some doctors are making things up because of their political allegiances?? Because that’s what it sounds like. Now that’s really bad. We are not allowed to criticise our government because Boris has been ill but you can imply this about people actually n the front line. double standards or what. I’d love an explanation but won’t hold my breath.