Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate #@#*@** joggers!

(54 Posts)
Witzend Tue 21-Apr-20 18:39:37

Once again, while I was on my usual walk, one steamed past me with barely a couple of feet between us. I was right at the inner edge of the path, so could not move away. It’s a very quiet road with very few cars even in normal times, so she could easily have moved into the road, as I’d done a few times already, to keep my distance from someone else.

For the first time, I yelled my fury after her. Of course she paid no heed whatsoever.

I’m beginning to wish jogging would be banned for the duration. I know it’s not all of them, but at least around here there’s a significant minority who seem to think they have some sort of superior right to ignore the rules.

Quite apart from anything else, all their huffing and puffing means they’re breathing out a lot more potentially infected air than anyone walking.
Grrrrrr!

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 22:46:45

That response to lemongrove

lemongrove Tue 21-Apr-20 22:57:16

Yes.

Fiachna50 Wed 22-Apr-20 02:09:30

I have given up going for a walk due to a jogger huffing and puffing his spit all over the place. Its disgusting and he passed so close to me (he could have went round another way). It was so bad I put my coat in the washing machine as soon as I got home and have not been out for a walk since. I think they do it deliberately and are on some kind of power trip. Personally Id ban jogging along with all the pavement cyclists. None of them know what 2 metre distance means.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Apr-20 06:32:58

I can’t believe what horrible posts are on here you must all live in a nasty part of this country
Joggers runners and walkers here are all seem respectful of space everyone NEEDS a release in these times
Two days ago a beautiful young lady walked into the sea in the middle of the night
Try a little kindness even to people you don’t admire

craftyone Wed 22-Apr-20 06:41:41

dog walkers are equally bad, hogging narrow pavements so that I have to go into the road. Same when I cycle, dogs being walked on long leads and owners far too close to me

mary51 Wed 22-Apr-20 07:28:20

Let the joggers be. Round here they usually acknowledge you if you pass them or are approaching them. They are all friendly. It's the best exercise if you are able to run and quite cheap until you start entering long runs, trail runs etc.

If you live in a flat or have no garden what else are people supposed to do? Its either walking or running.

Right now I wish I had a dog to walk!

Notimetolose Wed 22-Apr-20 07:38:26

Hate is a very strong emotion for people you don't even know.

dragonfly46 Wed 22-Apr-20 07:41:07

For goodness sake how judgemental some of you are. My DD goes out jogging and always maintains the 2 metre rule. She complains about the people walking 3 abreast on the pavement so she has to run down the middle of the road. My DH takes the dog out everyday and and all the dog walkers keep well away from each other. There are good and bad in all sorts.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Apr-20 07:42:47

When I used to go jogging back in the day, wherever possible (and it would be easier now with so less traffic) I used to run on all the quieter roads as tarmac is more forgiving on impact than the concrete slabs on pavements! Kinder to your joints!

bikergran Wed 22-Apr-20 07:54:07

I'm sure a lot of these "Covi Joggers" same as the newbie cyclist are one minute wonders, they will have dashed out to buy all the lycra and running shoes/water bottles etc.

Once this is over their new trainers and lycra will be thrown at the back of the cupboard, hence a few less on the streets.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Apr-20 08:24:50

That doesn’t necessarily happen bikergran and is quite judgemental
Here they have a scheme whereby if you finish with your sports equipment and wish to donate it to a central group for distribution for those who wish to start running, walking, jogging but don’t have the means or don’t want to spend out money on a new hobby It’s very successful and is well donated to and well taken up
For some, jogging, brisk walking, running will be a great release and a huge help for people’s mental health
All running clubs, park runs, swimming pools etc are cancelled for now and many people have relied on these hugely supportive organisations to keep them going

Couch potato to 5k has been a HUGE success in this country can you imagine someone who is overweight, lazing around with low self esteem and now with supportive encouragement has worked up very gradually to being able to jog or run up to 5k it is a blooming miracle for some folk,
Drs advice exercise for mental and physical health and yet you all moan groan and swear about people trying to keep themselves going
Think before you lamblast people for trying to help themselves There is much more to this than a pair of Lyra shorts

BlueSky Wed 22-Apr-20 08:43:33

That's why I think masks worn by everybody would help.

Iam64 Wed 22-Apr-20 09:06:18

Phew, this thread has helped me be determined to keep calm and carry on.
So many people are not working, that my usual quiet weekday walk through woodlands, round our park, round the reservoirs are now much busier and less peaceful.
Many more joggers, what feels like a plague of mountain bikes whizzing past (not one used a bell to warn they were coming yesterday), lots more off lead dogs with no apparent relationship to the person failing to recall them away from my two on lead dogs. Still -I'm outside and the weather is a blessing.
The pressures that go with isolation, not seeing loved one's, being unable to drive the 50 minutes to the coast so we can walk on the beach, for example, are nothing in comparison with the real problems so many are living with.
A bit of patience and positivity won't do any harm

Fiachna50 Wed 22-Apr-20 09:57:58

I do not hate anyone. Joggers and cyclists need to be obeying the 2 metre rule and have consideration for other people. They also need to realise that deaf and hard-of-hearing people cannot hear them coming up behind them and also cannot hear bike bells.

TerriBull Wed 22-Apr-20 09:59:20

I kind of get the hate, but my son is a keen jogger/runner, so I have to remember that! He lives in a quiet village in Bucks and tells me he always does the right thing and gets off the pavement into the road to avoid people and then moans about pedestrians who don't acknowledge his effort sad but yeah, I don't like them coming up behind or those who have to run down the middle of the pavement, always seem to be stepping into the road somehow to avoid them!

Teetime Wed 22-Apr-20 10:39:38

Well I hope my darling daughter doesn't get abused while she is out running even if her outfit is pretty lary. I think so that she can be seen and not mown down by a car. As she is doing a n awful lot to keep people in jobs at the moment I think she deserves her morning run.

arosebyanyothername Wed 22-Apr-20 10:41:10

Not just joggers. Every time we go for a walk we have move out into the road when someone comes walking towards us.
Not one person has moved out of the way for us.

Xrgran Wed 22-Apr-20 10:45:26

My daughter has had lots of problems when she takes her baby out in his buggy.

Including joggers spitting !! Sorry but if they did this anywhere else they would get fined. One jogger even bumped into her buggy. No apologies ???

Anyone running with headphones etc along a public path should be fined. They can run in the road and take their chances with cars and bikes or use their garden, or even a field but if you want to use a public path you must be able to keep to a safe distance and be aware of others using the path.

Witzend Wed 22-Apr-20 10:51:05

Cyclists have already been banned from our local large park, since too many were whizzing past each other at virtually no distance, on a perimeter road from which cars were banned after the lockdown, so there was plenty of room.

The more hard-core type of cyclist used to be a menace on the perimeter path, which was shared with pedestrians. They used to whizz along, sounding bells and expecting everyone, including old/deaf people, small children and dogs, to get out of their way. A 5 mph limit for cyclists was eventually introduced - I gather only after accidents had occurred - but a few still ignored it.

Considerate, non-hard core cyclists are of course absolutely no problem on the perimeter path, but thanks to the behaviour of the racer types, they’re now banned, too, which is IMO a great shame.

BlueSky Wed 22-Apr-20 12:21:44

I've always had a problem with cyclists while walking along the canal. Why or why pushbikes no longer have a bell?

Bathsheba Wed 22-Apr-20 12:27:53

Joggers and cyclists are a problem insofar as it's difficult for walkers to move quickly out of their way. And often they will come up behind us with no warning.

Anyone walking behind us is not usually a problem, because we'll likely all be walking at the same pace, so the distance between us is easily maintained. Anyone walking towards us is, again, easy to avoid - there is time to cross the road if the footpath is not wide enough. But runners and cyclists give us so little time to take avoiding action (if they're showing no sign of avoiding us, that is!).

Bathsheba Wed 22-Apr-20 12:31:40

But goodness, I don't hate joggers and cyclists, any more than I'd hope they don't hate me for being in their way! There are plenty of walkers who don't keep properly to social distancing! (I don't hate them either smile)

sodapop Wed 22-Apr-20 12:33:23

No bikers, joggers or dog walkers then just nice sedate walkers !!.

I was sorry to hear about the young lady walking into the sea BlueBelle this virus is taking its toll in different ways.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Apr-20 12:41:19

well I must come from a very civilised part of the country as so far everybody on my daily walk has moved to the side or I moved to the side and then they smile and say thank you it’s been extremely civilised I have no problem with runners joggers or anybody else and I think there’s a lot of miserable people on here who ve got nothing better to do than have a moan and groan about everybody else and the title of this thread I think is atrocious
We have a cycle path in the middle of our main promenade and as I cycle to town (not now of course) the amount of pedestrians that meander across it is a lot I have never in my life thought of calling them the names that have come up here or thought a second of hate for them
Says more about some of you than them

Witzend Wed 22-Apr-20 12:47:23

My fault for posting the OP in the furious white heat of the moment (just after the incident) but (some of you) please don’t take my title too literally - of course I don’t actually hate all joggers!
I’m just up to here with the selfish, inconsiderate type I posted about.