Gransnet forums

Chat

What could you bring to the party?

(22 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Thu 23-Apr-20 09:01:44

I’ve found a couple of Christmas puddings in the cupboard, another friend has discovered not one haggis but six.

We’ve sent a message round to friends and villagers to invite them to a social gathering when they can add their food discoveries.
We hope that day will come in the not too distant future.?

kittylester Thu 23-Apr-20 09:17:17

I've got a big Christmas pudding too plus a small gluten free one. There is also a tin of corned beef that dh insists we keep in stock - just in case - please take that.

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-Apr-20 09:23:12

I could only bring recently bought food, I fear. Rarely buy frozen and only got a small freezer anyway but there are frozen raspberries plus a tub of fresh cream in the fridge. I can add small meringue nests too which will stop me wanting to open them. grin

Niobe Thu 23-Apr-20 09:30:38

Well we did have a Christmas pud left over from last Christmas but we’ve already eaten it during lockdown! And very nice it was too with fresh cream rather than brandy butter!

Greyduster Thu 23-Apr-20 09:46:07

I also have a Christmas pudding that my DD had from their running club’s annual Percy Pud race. Everyone who takes part gets one (whether they like it or not! We ended up with it). I also have a tin of peaches. I hate tinned peaches, DH hates tinned peaches! How on earth did we end up with a tin of peaches?

Teetime Thu 23-Apr-20 09:50:28

I have a Xmas pudding too - DH made 2 at Xmas and we were supposed to have the other one at Easter but no family do of course.
I have a got a ginger and treacle cake (homemade) in the freezer and a hug piece of beef that is far too big for us two - again it was waiting for a family Sunday lunch.

Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 09:58:21

Sparkling wit and some dodgy bottles of liquor that seemed a good idea whilst abroad and slightly drunk.

PamelaJ1 Thu 23-Apr-20 10:01:11

Miss food love, even better if the bottles have lost their labels!

Witzend Thu 23-Apr-20 10:05:15

How do you all end up with uneaten Christmas puds? I always make 2 big ones and dh and I at whatever’s left until the end of January (if they last that long) - stick some in the microwave with leftover brandy butter on top, delish. ??

PamelaJ1 Thu 23-Apr-20 10:40:29

We always make quite a few. We were, unexpectedly asked to our DD’s last Christmas ( we usually host) and she had made hers so we have extra. We would normally use one at Easter, but this year.......

kittylester Thu 23-Apr-20 11:22:35

Ooh, I'd forgotten. Two bottles of mulled wine someone gave us and some alcohol free beer (is that an oxymoron?)

Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 11:27:49

PamelaJ1, Ha a dodgy drink lottery!
Remember the ghastly stuff people used to bring back from Spain with the weed in the bottle?

janeainsworth Thu 23-Apr-20 11:45:05

Witzend you ask how we can have left-over Christmas pud. It’s the saving-things-for-best mentality which doesn’t just apply to clothes and which was ingrained in me as a child, and which I have been making a conscious decision to rid myself of, for at least the last 40 years ?
Not only do I have a Christmas pud from last year in the pantry, along with bottles of fizz that have been given to us in notable occasions, but several jars of spiced plums in brandy from last Autumn (*MrA*’s speciality). I’ll bring some of them.
And I’ll wear my best black lace dress and pearls ?

Elegran Thu 23-Apr-20 11:48:38

There is still a vegetarian haggis in the freezer from last year's Burns night, you are welcome to that.

I have a tin of pearl barley in water that I bought two at once of in the mistaken belief that it would improve my vegetable soup. The first tin proved I was wrong.

Greyduster Thu 23-Apr-20 11:52:16

Apparently we won the tin of peaches in a church fete raffle! Other people win foreign holidays; we get a tin of peaches?! Can I also add five cans of strawberry and lime flavoured cider? Speaks for itself really?‍♀️!

DiscoGran Thu 23-Apr-20 11:57:24

I can bring a bottle of Cucumber Gin we received as a Christmas present. I don't mind cucumber, but in gin it is a taste I cannot acquire.
To make up for that, I can bring my legendary Parmesan cheese twists.

grannypiper Thu 23-Apr-20 12:48:05

I have 2 pot noddles and a bottle of merlot. I am not sure anyone will want the pot of gentlemans relish blush that we won at the church fete

Urmstongran Thu 23-Apr-20 12:51:28

An appetite!

PamelaJ1 Thu 23-Apr-20 13:41:59

Urmstongran, judging by the offers above you must have a cast iron stomach!

Witzend Thu 23-Apr-20 13:44:27

I have a huge bottle of Mount Gay Barbados rum, which, when mixed with sugar syrup and lime (or lemon) juice, will probably make enough moreishly lethal rum punch to get the whole of GN completely - hic - p*ssed.
Cheers!

gulligranny Thu 23-Apr-20 19:43:10

I've got several bottles of DH's homemade sloe gin .... oh, and a Fray Bentos tinned steak pie, only a few months past its use-by date. After a couple of slugs of the gin, no-one will mind about the aged pie!

SalsaQueen Thu 23-Apr-20 21:27:28

I've got a bottle of Smirnoff raspberry vodka from 18 months ago. I like vodka but not this one....it's unopened, of course grin