Gransnet forums

Chat

Small things (bit of a pun)

(77 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Fri 24-Apr-20 16:36:03

I'm pleased with myself because I hung out my washing for the first time this year! Some of it is 'smalls' as you can see! ☺

lizzypopbottle Mon 27-Apr-20 12:53:49

My utility room is tiny but is still a blessing. Now that the sun has been shining most days, the conservatory has come into its own for drying/airing clean washing too. My mother never put anything away straight after coming in off the line. Everything had to be aired and she'd hold it to her face to check if it was dry. Fortunately, she never wore make-up!

sodapop Sun 26-Apr-20 20:30:28

My dream house would have a good sized utility room for white goods, drying washing and all the dog paraphernalia.

MarieEliza Sun 26-Apr-20 16:57:57

I also love the smell of washing that has dried outside but since lockdown I haven’t ironed a thing ?

Greciangirl Sun 26-Apr-20 14:15:00

Also, I don’t own a tumble dryer, so free heat is not to be missed.

Greciangirl Sun 26-Apr-20 14:12:35

Yes, also been hanging it out for a few weeks now.
As soon as the sun shines, out it goes.

Nothing nicer than freshly washed sheets etc. Hung out in the sun to dry.

Pussycat2012 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:25:56

I love hanging out my washing admit to being a bit of a diva about how it’s hung! The little things that give joy have to be sought out especially at the moment.?

Callistemon Sun 26-Apr-20 09:13:01

I have a clothes airer too (not as good as that one) and find the landing is a good place for it as warm air rises and dries the clothes.

annep1 Sun 26-Apr-20 09:03:29

Phloembundle I use this. Although I like to pop my towels in the tumble drier.

www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-Pegasus-Clothes-Airer-Drying/dp/B00G4ZX86S?tag=gransnetforum-21

Callistemon Sun 26-Apr-20 08:36:50

Phloembundle I have an airing cupboard and couldn't manage without one. That's why we had another system boiler with a new hot water tank when it needed replacing.

Apparently its better to iron everything before it is completely dry, so I'm told.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Apr-20 08:31:53

I haven’t used the tumble dryer once in lockdown and haven’t ironed since Adam were a lad, as my DMIL used to say. I have never in my life ironed socks, underwear or bedding. Pegging out the washing’s one of the few jobs I enjoy because it’s such an easy win - in it all comes a few hours later smelling of fresh air and ready to put away. I’ve taken advantage of the sun and washed all our pillows and a couple of duvets recently too - they’ve dried beautifully outside.

Phloembundle Sun 26-Apr-20 07:36:10

I'd like to know where you all put your washing if you take it in when not quite dry and don't have a tumble dryer.

Baloothefitz Sun 26-Apr-20 01:47:38

Love the smell of line dried washing..it just has to be done sunshine

GreenGran78 Sun 26-Apr-20 00:16:30

I just read the rest of the posts, and realised that Roses also has OCD about her washing. Sorry if I was too personal, Roses!

GreenGran78 Sun 26-Apr-20 00:11:15

But janipans, hanging out the washing takes very little time out of your life, unless you have a big family. Even when I had five children at home the washing was usually hung out. I couldn’t afford a tumble drier. Drying it all in the house in wet weather wasn’t much fun!

Of course, if you suffer from OCD, like a friend of mine, it takes ages. She carefully arranges everything from pale to dark, along the line. Then she steps back, to consider the scheme, and usually rearranges a few items. She has coloured clothes pegs, and they also have to co-ordinate, or contrast harmoniously, with each garment. It’s quite an undertaking. I only watched her doing it once, and it almost gave me the screaming abdabs

lizzypopbottle Sat 25-Apr-20 21:18:38

Kim19 I wouldn't comment on someone else's washing line. Each to their own, but I do hate to see droopy washing. Mine is pegged out nice and straight to avoid much ironing!

moggie57 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:24:33

little things please little minds .and little trousers fit little behinds...

Helennonotion Sat 25-Apr-20 20:19:38

I'm another all year round hanger outer! I even have a covered area at the back of the garden, with a see through roof that has wires across for cucumbers in the summer! When its raining (and there are no cucumbers growing) the washing goes on there and dries quite well sometimes. I call it my indoor/outdoor area! I will tumble dry when I absolutely have to, but only then! But I still struggle to re-create that lovely fresh linen smell I remember from wash day as a child. Perhaps it was all pure cotton back then. I'm afraid most of my bedding is poly cotton!

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Apr-20 20:08:33

I live in Norfolk. The driest bit of the U.K. I think. It’s only rained here twice this month and that was only briefly, so I get to line dry my washing a lot.

I do love my tumble drier though, it’s my luxury in winter when it’s dark and cold and rains a lot more.

jerseygirl Sat 25-Apr-20 20:03:09

I've been hanging my washing out for weeks. The weather has been glorious here. I have a tumble dryer but avoid using it unless i have to as its so expensive to run. I also love the smell of washing that has been dried outside, especially bedding.

BoBo53 Sat 25-Apr-20 17:54:07

My DH suggested we ought to wash the shopping bags today so have done those plus a load of washing! Thankfully the neighbours, who appeared to be having a party at lunchtime with raucous laughter and loud music, went suddenly silent so we could sit out and enjoy the sunshine this afternoon as well!

Kim19 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:26:53

This makes me smile. Many years ago a neighbour asked me if I was a newlywed. I said yes and (being older than the norm at that time) queried why she had asked. 'It's the novice way you hang your washing out'. There y'go! The only downside I have with my lovely washing line are the dreaded barbecues which stink my garments/home out. Ugh.

Gransooz Sat 25-Apr-20 15:47:14

Oh my, I love my tumble dryer. Got my first one when baby no. 1 arrived. Have used one ever since. Anything that is allowed to be tumble dried goes in there. Towels all go in until they are almost but not quite dry, then they go out to finish off on the whirly. I don’t really peg anything out in the winter though when it’s dank and dreich. A nice liquid detergent and then Softener makes them smell lovely.

GrammaH Sat 25-Apr-20 15:17:23

There's definitely something special about the smell of line dried washing and no conditioner can replicate it. I especially love climbing beneath sheets fresh from the line- a good night's sleep guaranteed! The only thing I never line dry is towels, I can't stand the crunchy feel so they always go in the drier, whatever the weather.

lizzypopbottle Sat 25-Apr-20 15:00:00

Here's my latest washload, the traditional 'whites wash' since I wear a lot of white. I have to wash karate suits (karate gi) with only white things. There's nothing worse than a grey gi! Ironing them is a nightmare if they get too dry so I'll be checking this one a lot!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 25-Apr-20 14:54:38

I've had a couple of weeks now of being able to line dry the washing and those first loads out always feel SO good! I don't iron whether line dried or tumble dried - life's too short and I've got things I'd far rather be doing!