Gransnet forums

Chat

Small things (bit of a pun)

(76 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Fri 24-Apr-20 16:36:03

I'm pleased with myself because I hung out my washing for the first time this year! Some of it is 'smalls' as you can see! ☺

EllanVannin Fri 24-Apr-20 17:21:06

You realise you've got to iron it too ?
Mostly socks from where I'm sitting.

PamelaJ1 Fri 24-Apr-20 17:26:17

For the first time? We’ve had fabulous weather for weeks here.

Calendargirl Fri 24-Apr-20 18:01:51

Goodness, I hang my washing out all through the year if possible, as I like it to get some fresh air even if it doesn’t really dry.
Don’t possess a tumble drier.

tanith Fri 24-Apr-20 18:39:33

I’m another who hangs out washing all year round unless it’s actually raining out it goes.

shandi6570 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:51:28

lizzypopbottle, there is nothing so heartening as a line of washing drying on a warm sunny day, take no notice of the other comments. Whatever is wrong with everyone, this is a time to be kindly not sneering ?

Grannybags Fri 24-Apr-20 18:55:09

I love the smell of washing which has been dried outside.Well done Lizzy!

CanadianGran Fri 24-Apr-20 19:00:50

Don't you love the smell of clothing dried outside? I will put it in the dryer for a few minutes to soften and avoid ironing!

Since I still work I don't put mine out very often. Husband does most of the laundry and if I suggest hanging it outside he just reminds me 'you know they invented a machine to do that ?'

sodapop Fri 24-Apr-20 19:40:29

I like the fresh smell of line dried washing as well. We have a tame cockerel in the garden and I have to remember to put on closed shoes otherwise he pecks my toes. Who would have thought putting out the washing could be dangerous smile

mrswoo Fri 24-Apr-20 19:42:54

I lived in flats for years with no outside drying space. I now live in a house with a garden and I cannot begin to tell you the absolute joy I get from hanging washing out to dry. I can stand and just look at it on the line ( even better when it’s windy) and it fills me with happiness.

SalsaQueen Fri 24-Apr-20 22:26:00

I've been hanging mine out for 3 weeks. I love to see it on the line. I hate ironing though...........

MerylStreep Fri 24-Apr-20 22:30:45

Lizzypopbottle
I'm just wondering where you live. Our weather has been so good I've got quite a tan.

Callistemon Fri 24-Apr-20 23:06:22

Still wearing your socks, lizzypopbottle grin

So am I, I'm very reluctant to show my 'winter feet and toes'. Even though it's only DH and any delivery people who will see them.

JuliaM Fri 24-Apr-20 23:53:38

We have dried three loads of washing outside today, OH pegged it out early this morning,but thanks to the Wood Pigeons who are nesting in our Conifer, l have got to re-wash a Duvet cover and a couple of OHs shirts tomorrow as they are now splat with Bird poo!

Aepgirl Sat 25-Apr-20 09:24:43

I always hang my washing out in my garden. I don’t have, and don’t want, a tumble dryer. Have you ever watched the electricity meter when one is being used - frightening?

janipans Sat 25-Apr-20 09:43:10

Sorry, but I love my tumble drier. My time (even in lockdown!) can be better spent than hanging up every piece of washing, getting it in and ironing it. and possibly re-washing if a bird happens to mess it up! Fabric conditioner makes all my washing smell lovely and ironing is minimal. I'd rather be reading my book or making some tasty biscuits or anything rather than hanging out washing! Life's too short!

Davida1968 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:46:30

I'm another GN who loves to hang out washing outside. (We've a tumble dryer but we only use it if it's really, really, necessary.) Here is the NW we've had almost no rain for five weeks, so it's been great for drying.

Grannygrumps1 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:46:30

EllanVannin.... put money in the swear box.
You said that four letter word Iron....

polnan Sat 25-Apr-20 09:53:05

I hang out my washing all year also... sometimes, don`t get the washing dry, but at least a bit of fresh air.. but then I am living on my own, so only my washing!!!

cupcake1 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:00:36

janipans I’m with you on this one!!

b1zzle Sat 25-Apr-20 10:01:57

Enjoy! We have to celebrate the small joys in life right now - and hanging washing outside is definitely one of them!

SheilaMary2222 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:13:37

I love the fresh smell of sheets when they have been hung out on the line on a breezy day. If anything is creased, just pop them in tumble dryer for a few minutes.

RosesAreRed21 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:20:01

I absolutely LOVE being able to peg my washing out - even he dog gets excited when he sees the washing basket and happily accompanies me to the washing line!

Saggi Sat 25-Apr-20 10:22:45

Mines been hanging out for three weeks now, not the same wash, I hasten to add. But always put in drier fir 10 mins to soften , as I don’t iron.

Notsooldat75 Sat 25-Apr-20 10:29:16

Us hay fever sufferers are advised not to put washing outside, you then bring it into the house loaded with pollen and just make things even more difficult for yourself.