Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you feed urban foxes?

(35 Posts)
Artdecogran Sun 26-Apr-20 21:06:55

I have a fox that visits my garden and comes right up to the patio door every evening. I have only lived here since November and I am wondering if the previous old lady owner fed it. I am only wondering about feeding it due to reports of cats and swans being attacked by foxes because they don’t have their ready supply of fast food to feast on. I have a McDonald’s about 200 yards away that has been closed since corona. Should I feed it to stop attacks on cats and swans etc. I have 2 cats of my own but fortunately they’re house cats. What would you do please.

Craftycat Mon 27-Apr-20 12:30:43

No- you will never get rid of them. I speak from experience.
Last year I came home to find a fox in our conservatory - on the sofa with 2 of our cats.
My neighbour feeds them as they always give birth in field behind our houses. I have asked her not to but she thinks they are 'sweet'
They will move into woods opposite soon as they should being wild animals & fully capable of looking after themselves..
The cats have the upper hand & I am not worried they are in danger as fox very wary of them & our 4 cats are very feisty!.

3nanny6 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:41:01

No I do not feed them. I have two dogs, they are not small dogs but they go out into the garden and I always check the garden for foxes. Occasionally one of the dogs may need to
use the garden at night for a wee and I put on all the lights and outside light making sure no foxes are about.
Last December when putting off the house lights to go to bed I would look outside and for three weeks a fox sat under the lamppost ,just sitting and waiting for what I don't know.

May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 14:45:30

I fed one inadvertently when I left the hen coop door open one summer night. we had 2 hens. What a mess of feathers in the morning. Broke my heart at the time. Nothing against foxes but I had had these hens for 4 years and the one time I was neglectful it pounced. They are more than capable of finding their own food.

vampirequeen Mon 27-Apr-20 16:08:10

Urban foxes often rely on scavenging to top up their hunting. During lockdown the takeaway food isn't available so many will be hungry. I'd feed it but put the food away from the house but where you can see. Don't put too much food out though otherwise you'll be feeding every scavenger in the area including the neighbourhood moggies.

Artdecogran Mon 27-Apr-20 16:25:10

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I had thought it would all be no, so I am surprised at some yes answers too. Some very interesting responses.

watermeadow Mon 27-Apr-20 21:12:13

I don’t believe urban foxes do any harm, they don’t attack cats and certainly not swans, which are much bigger than foxes and quite fierce.
When they get lots of food they will multiply and when there is less takeaway litter for a few months they will go hungry. I’d feed them if there were cubs in my garden.

grannylyn65 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:22:24

Almost ?

readsalot Mon 27-Apr-20 21:34:27

We had foxes near us in our previous house. I used to feed them occasionally but never worried about my 12 year old cat. She didn't like them in 'her' garden and would walk towards them growling and they always ran off.

Jaberwok Mon 27-Apr-20 21:44:44

You should never feed foxes whether urban or rural. They're wild animals and encouraging them near homes is asking for trouble with them even going into houses! Foxes should be afraid of humans for their own good, semi taming them is doing them no favours at all.