Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kitchen refuge for the sharing of...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 28-Apr-20 12:21:07

Here we are again...all good pals and jolly good company.

WELCOME. Enjoy the treats on offer. All food virtually calorie-free. No washing of dishes permitted. Please relax and we'll raise a glass of cheer to each other. brew cafe wine Cheers!

Grandmafrench Tue 28-Apr-20 16:19:58

Just look at those little squidgy feet - how lovely. So glad he is feeling better - some progress must be a massive relief for you all, Susan. I expect Cherry is having a bit of a rest, she's very stoic and has agreed is more of a "Chirpy" soul, rather than the opposite.
However, not sure how she'll arrive here, if she gets lost en route to another new Kitchen opening, so we need to make sure that there are suitably delicious treats to eat after the journey, I think.

hulahoop Tue 28-Apr-20 16:27:13

Lovely picture of Henry Susan , enough to stop us eating too much isn't it pittcity .Hope you had some good veins today so Soop .

tanith Tue 28-Apr-20 16:47:48

Thanks Soop that sticky ginger cake was sooo delicious.
I thought I’d add a couple of pics of some my lovely GC and Grt GC Florence 2 eating pancakes, Mason 7mth first Easter egg , and Evie2 making pizza I miss them so much.

annodomini Tue 28-Apr-20 16:57:50

Another cosy kitchen, soop. Can I get close to that AGA? It has turned colder and drizzly here. We need some decent rain. Drizzle won't be enough. Still, remembering what the weather was like earlier in the year, I should be careful what I ask for.
The bread I made yesterday was so 'crusty' that a chain saw would have been better than my bread knife. I had some with my soup (carrot & coriander, freshly made) and the rest is going to be made into garlic croutons. I have lemons and limes ready to make into lemon/lime curd and, if I have enough butter, a lemon drizzle cake. soop, I'd love to make you a sticky gingerbread, but need black treacle for my version. As a teenager, I made one that spread itself all over the Rayburn oven. We had to let the whole range go cold and the dog helped to clean it out. On reflection, I suspected that I had managed to leave out an important ingredient - like flour? I have since had nothing but success!
Looking forward to your scones, Galen, but, regretfully, I will have to decline the clotted cream which has an undesirable effect on my innards. hmm Black cherry jam would be highly acceptable. My MiL used to say that I made the best scones - but I don't know what her yardstick was.
What is a lollipop tree? Was that on the last page of the old kitchen? I must have missed that. It sounds intriguing.
Just watched the third episode of Killing Eve, season 3. Brilliant acting!
Enjoy your evening everyone. I must have a look and see what's in the freezer.

Carillion01 Tue 28-Apr-20 17:00:55

soop the 'lollipop' tree is Flamingo Dappled Willow xxxx

GrandmaFrench, I know exactly what you mean about the poppies! I love the fact that you never know where they'll appear each year ??

Nannytopsy Tue 28-Apr-20 17:08:51

Hello everyone - sausage rolls and a nice Sauvignon blanc on the table.

GrannyOwl5 Tue 28-Apr-20 17:11:26

Hello new kitchen. Very impressive and stylish. I am dusting off my pearls as I type; would hate to lower the tone.
Lovely pics of grandchildren and their smiles brighten up a grey and cold day. Glad little Henry is feeling better.
Hopefully the veins will cooperate Soop and you will return safely from your trip to the outside world.

soop Tue 28-Apr-20 17:47:54

Susan56 Little Henry's portrait now hangs in pride of place in our spanking new gallery. He is adorable. I would so enjoy giving him a gentle (virtual) hug. xxx

Pittcity You have me laugh aloud. Aren't they truly happy chubby ladies. Such fun.

soop Tue 28-Apr-20 18:09:33

Grandmafrench Should you be in touch with Cherry, please give her directions. smile

tanith More beautiful portraits for our gallery. Those precious smiles are infectious.

Thank you for the info', Carillion. I am determined to acquire a Flamingo Dappled Willow just as soon as I can.

anno I'm a fan of bread and butter pudding. How about using some of your special loaf to make us one.
I'm also a fan of 'Killing Eve'. The acting is excellent.

Thank you, Nannytopsy...as always, your donation is gratefully received.

GrannyOwl having bloods taken in the surgery car park, was a surreal experience. My veins did their thing (for a change). The inside of the car was very warm. Veins well up and cheeks aglow. GP took five samples. He's a lovely man. A friend of ours who has volunteered to come out of retirement.
He noted the bruise and said that I was not to risk further injury to my head. He also made me do a few exercises and believes that the hip pain is merely ligament damage.

On the drive home, a heron flew low over the bonnet of the car. I hadn't thought to take a camera. It was a remarkable sight to behold.

I am continuing to think of you all. If you have a party tonight, please make certain that you enjoy yourselves. I shall be retiring until tomorrow morning. You are a wonderful group of Granspals. Thank you for your company. flowers

smile moon

Madgran77 Tue 28-Apr-20 18:39:07

Hello I wonder if it would be ok if I joined in with the kitchen party?
I am such a cake lover and bake far too many of them! I now plan to make a sticky ginger cake for the weekend because I have been reminded on here of a lovely recipe that I have!

Managed to get through on the phone to our lovely local little family owned garden centre this morning, and ordered a load of plants which will be delivered on Thursday....Including herbs, so fancy making some fresh basil and cheese scones too now!

Doodle Tue 28-Apr-20 18:45:13

susan Henry is lovely. What a happy photo.
Also tanith lovely litttle ones ?
grandmafrench I too wonder if cherry is ok. She has been poorly recently. If you are reading cherry we miss you.
nanatopsy you are tempting me ?
soop you been flirting with the doctors again ?. Glad you’re home safely.

Charleygirl5 Tue 28-Apr-20 19:34:36

Susan young Henry definitely looks a lot better- he is so happy.

tanith those little ones are gorgeous- you must really be missing them all.

It is cold and miserable this evening- the heating is on and I am about to choose something for my supper having raided M&S today and I did not have to queue- that was a first.
TOYA

Carillion01 Tue 28-Apr-20 19:41:38

Welcome Madgrann77. How lovely to have ordered your plants...and especially the herbs!

Doodle Tue 28-Apr-20 20:19:06

Hello madgrann. Sorry I missed your post, must have crossed with mine. Welcome to the kitchen ? Please May we have some of your lovely cake when you make it. Sounds delicious.

Madgran77 Tue 28-Apr-20 20:54:43

I do think I'm quite good at baking cakes although have had a few disasters in my time. Will let you know how the ginger one goes Doodle

Carillion I love fresh basil. Had a go at making pesto last year , beats a bought jar of it any time ?

Dreamkeeper Tue 28-Apr-20 22:15:01

I recognized this new kitchen immediately by its brand new tartan rugs and cushions,what a pleasure it is to join you all.
My word you are a chatty crowd and at the rate you contribute we shall be moving on before many find this new kitchen!!!!

What a palaver indeed Soop these appointments,especially now during this impossible time,are enough to cause your blood pressure to go sky high.Sincerely hoping you do recieve said news and time so that this dastardly deed maybe accomplished allowing you to retrace your footsteps back to your own dear home sweet home.Sending you off with a loving hug.
Whilst your pictures of such a colourful sky is most uplifting.

Carillion loving both your poppy pictures and yon "lollipop tree".It is great fun enjoying all your gardens now that we no longer have the worry of forever mowing,trimming and pruning ourselves!!!!

What a bonny baby Susan and indeed I fully understand how the support and caring from the kitchen has helped you during dark and stressful times.May he now go from strength to strength.

By the way Doodle call me by either of my names because I answer happily to both! I would only be concerned were you not to call me at all!

Life continues here in the Penitentionary and slightly duller note today since the heavens opened!!! First of the April showers so we certainly cannot grumble.Whilst everything smells and looks much fresher,but the sunshine hopefully will soon return.

A full year on friday since my dear man recieved his damning diagnoses and prognoses,at that time he was a mere corpse like figure,a skeleton in a wheelchair.
We have quite honestly been to hell a few times since and we well know we have to take each new day as ultra precious......and we do.....but simply seeing him nicely "filled out" (although partly due to steroids)walking a fair distance and again,prior to this lockdown,he could drive the car all beit short distances only.Time for prayers for sure.

Keep well,keep safe and may all your tomorrows be richly blessed.

callgirl1 Tue 28-Apr-20 23:33:47

Lovely photo of little Henry, I`m glad he`s managing to smile, hope things continue to go well for him.
Carillion, I love your lollipop tree, never seen one before. Watch out for Soop in the dead of night, it`s made quite an impression on her.
I`ve actually managed to bag myself a Tesco home delivery slot! Couldn`t believe my eyes when I saw some free slots, so I grabbed one whilst I had the chance.
I`ve had a letter from Queens Medical. An appointment has been made for a telephone consultation on May 29th.
As ever, it was lovely to hear from you again Panache.
Where`s Izabella lately?
TOYA xx

Baggs Wed 29-Apr-20 06:15:05

Hello new kitchen and kitcheners. Just popping in to inform you of a new word. It’s a relation of —bug orations— (haha! I speak clearly but machine listening can’t cope with.... soop's "buggerations") buggerations. I quote Michael Gove: "embuggerances”. Full quote: "How odd it is, this fetish to devise and impose ever more rules and embuggerances”.
It's to do with the pressure from some quarters to make people wear face masks. Quite apart from anything else, if there is a shortage where masks are most needed how on earth are we going to acquire enough for everyone to wear them?

NanaandGrampy Wed 29-Apr-20 10:37:41

Morning all!

Just can’t seem to get going these days much less keep up with the kitchen - sorry !

Quite Baggs seems logical to me ! But then the world has gone quite mad so not much surprises me now !

Hello Madgran ! Great name by the way .

Love the pictures Tanith !

Grampy’s new jigsaw arrived yesterday but instead of the challenging 1000 piece I THOUGHT. I ordered it’s a 500 piece Xl piece puzzle that looks like it will be completed today !!

It has been raining cats and dogs here so we frittered away yesterday with not much and today looks to be more of the same.

I am a little down in the dumps as our long awaited holiday is not only cancelled for 2020 but I suspect 2021 won’t be a goer either . In the big picture of things a small buggeration but it’s made me sad.

Please send cake ( and wine! ) ....it will help ???

Charleygirl5 Wed 29-Apr-20 11:20:53

It was a beautiful sunny day today if a tad cold so my washing is out. It was out for a whole 30 minutes when the dark clouds have appeared. Still, I suppose 30 minutes will freshen if not dry my clothes.

I have to become re-acquainted with a hoover and spray polish. My TV sits on a two-tier glass whatsit and even I can see the dust. Admittedly it looks worse when the sun is shining. Will that polish last until Christmas? I am not really au fait with cleaning a house- only clothes.

My large expanse of grass was cut today- my next excitement will be my Morrisons online delivery next Tuesday. At this rate, I will be on drugs to calm me down or just accept I am now certifiable.
TOYA

soop Wed 29-Apr-20 12:13:41

Madgran77 Welcome The more, the merrier. grin

Carillion01 Wed 29-Apr-20 12:24:54

NannandGrampy, strawberry shortcake and a glass of fizzy on the way to you xx

Galen, any news of the Cunard fruit scones? I haven't any clotted cream so I'm going to try D'Isgny Creme Fraiche as a substitute.

soop Wed 29-Apr-20 12:28:18

Baggs 'Embuggerances'...I love that word. This morning's post came from Dr Iffat Rabnawaz. It tells me that I have an appointment with her at the Vale hospital at 2:pm today! Well, that's news to me. It's lucky that I spoke to my breast nurse 10 days ago and between us we've been been unravelling a number of embuggerances. I fully understand that the usual routines in hospitals are severely disrupted. The NHS is pure gold precious and I'm in awe of the staff that have this terrible crisis to contend with. It's hard to fathom why a 1st class letter takes well over a week to be delivered. Hey ho!

soop Wed 29-Apr-20 12:41:07

N&G and Charleyg So much disruption does have a tendency to "unhinge" us from time to time. Today, as the weather is less fabulous than of late, I'm duty bound to attend to a few jobs around the house. Sigh! I would far sooner be in the garden.
Ooh, I've just spotted a swallow. That has cheered me no end.

callgirl For the first time in over five weeks, we were able to say hello to David yesterday afternoon. I had bloods taken as I sat in the car in the Muasdale surgery car park. A surreal experience.
A trip to Lochgilphead hosp tomorrow. 40 mins with a drip in my vein. Let joy be unconfined. At least I shall get to see different scenery en route. wink

Dreamkeeper As always, your posts are wonderfully inclusive and beautifully written. Thank you for your ongoing kindness to us lot. flowers

Carillion01 Wed 29-Apr-20 12:44:18

soop xxx

Grandmafrench, meant to ask you, do you think the D'Isigny Creme Fraiche would be a good sub for clotted cream? More importantly, any news of CherryCezzy? Xx

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion