Gransnet forums

Chat

Saturday morning post deliverys to STOP

(64 Posts)
infoman Wed 29-Apr-20 07:44:07

Just a heads up if your waiting for the post to arrive this Saturday morning for the forseeable future

Sussexborn Wed 29-Apr-20 13:33:51

BIL in Surrey hasn’t had post on Saturdays for years. I signed up for the mail preference service so get little unsolicited post but emails are another matter.

I’ve opened a separate account and use it as contact if I buy anything that requires an email address. It has hundreds of emails that I clear out every so often.

Grannybags. Hopefully your family will post their cards a day early to avoid disappointment.

Eloethan Wed 29-Apr-20 13:37:00

Is this just a temporary measure or will it be used to cut services further in the future?

Nanniejc1 Wed 29-Apr-20 13:43:30

Think this is only a temporary measure ,the postmen are still working & delivering parcels & packets.My son in law is a postman & he says that they have been so busy ,much busier than Christmas.People are buying so much more online & it all has to be delivered.They are doing a great job & are all working extremely hard .

SueDonim Wed 29-Apr-20 13:45:33

Our post has been a bit sporadic anyway, maybe because there’s been a big drop in junk mail, hurrah! Sending mail has been random, too. My son sent cards his children had done to two family members on the same day but one arrived about a week after the other. confused

Our postie is lovely. When my girls were of the age to do school exams, he used to knock on the door and wait to hand over their results in person. ❤️

MawB Wed 29-Apr-20 14:25:15

jane1956 Wed 29-Apr-20 11:29:13
sorry MawB no, they need to reduce the postage cost then if they are not giving us a full service. The same applies to the BBC who think it is ok to stuff loads of repeats but not offer a discount

In your dreams Jane 1956 - “don’t you know there’s a war on?” .

12Michael Wed 29-Apr-20 14:27:10

This what I have just taken of there webpage
To manage these severe absence levels, we are implementing a range of mitigations. These include changing the time guarantee on Special Delivery, deploying non-operational managers in delivery and temporarily no longer delivering letters on a Saturday.

MawB Wed 29-Apr-20 15:45:31

That seems fair enough to me Mick

JaneRn Wed 29-Apr-20 17:45:21

My postie, too, is a lovely man, always ready with a joke and a smile, and if he hasn't seen me for a few days asks a neighbour if I'm alright. However, most of what he brings is junk or charity appeals, most of which goes straight in the bin. Nowadays almost everything for which I would have used the post goes on line. The only time I write a cheque is for my gardener, and I keep telling him its about time he moved out of the 19th century. Everything else is dealt with on line, especially if it is something I want to be sure has arrived and I very rarely write letters. Sorry, Post Office, but things do go astray!I think the PO will have to be very careful not to price themselves out of the market. The cost of sending parcels has become prohibitive, which is a pity because it used to be so exciting on birthday or at Christmas seeing the postman walking up the path with presents in his hand. A gift voucher is not quite the same!
I still send a lot, too many, Christmas cards but grandchildren's generation rarely do so perhaps that tradition too will gradually die out.

Doodledog Wed 29-Apr-20 19:00:29

I can understand the need to cut back just now, as there will be a lot more absence than usual.

I don't think it's fair to say that people don't need mail on Saturdays in normal circumstances, though. It's one thing if you are retired, but when people are working, it is often the only day that they can get deliveries without a lot of hassle. Not everyone has neighbours who are in and able to take in parcels, and not everyone lives close to a sorting office.

Aepgirl Thu 30-Apr-20 09:34:57

I suspect it’s something that won’t happen again. I remember when we used to get 2 deliveries a day, every day, and no junk mail.

blondenana Thu 30-Apr-20 10:53:22

Our area is advertising for postmen/women. @11 an hour,
I used to have a regular one,but they vary now

Happysexagenarian Thu 30-Apr-20 14:16:56

We very rarely get Royal Mail deliveries on Saturdays even before the current situation, only courier deliveries. I have to say the courier services have been great, even delivering on Sundays.

NotAGran55 Thu 30-Apr-20 15:31:36

Just out of interest , what letters do people urgently need on Saturdays? After all we don’t get postal deliveries on Sundays .

Parcel deliveries aren’t going to be affected .