Gransnet forums

Chat

Paying for your shopping

(104 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 29-Apr-20 13:46:18

For 6 weeks other people have done all my shopping. I do not bank on line and have found paying difficult. Nobody wants cash and they can’t pay a cheque into a bank.
I’ve given my bank card to family members to use but sometimes need it before I get it back. I’m also concerned about it getting lost.
I can’t go out to buy birthday presents so need to send money to grandchildren.
I’ve looked at on line banking only to confirm that I cannot do it, I am scared stiff by technology and by numbers. Nobody can help me as we’re all isolating.
There must be legions of old people having the same trouble. How do you manage?

SpringyChicken Thu 30-Apr-20 21:14:33

Do you have a credit card that family members can use (contactless) for your shopping? The limit has increased to £45 before the PIN is required. If you set up a direct debit from your bank account to pay off the credit card in full every month, no interest is incurred.

Shandy3 Thu 30-Apr-20 20:37:55

Thete are on line tutorials of how to do online banking. Banks & building societies are all able to help you on an individual basis. Call your branch explain the difficulty you ate having and ask someone there to talk you, or a family member through the instructions. They wont divulge anything personal to a family member but will give them instructions to help you deal with online banking.
If people don't want cash or cheques it feels this is your only way forward.
You should find your bank approachable and supportive if not, dont hesitate to change to one that is after all this is over

phoenix Thu 30-Apr-20 18:45:22

When I got a new debit card with a new pin number, until I could either change or remember it, I had a scrap of paper in my handbag that read "I owe Annie £52.55 for pedicure, remember to pay on next appointment" or some such thing.

GabriellaG54 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:39:19

Just remember not to keep your passwords or memorable info with your card or mobile phone. All too easy to keep it on a side table or in your handbag or pocket in the phone case. Not advised .

GabriellaG54 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:34:59

To those who are horrified or wary of mobile banking, remember this: your bank has government recommended security on their websites and apps. If your bank was hacked ( very unlikely) they not you would be liable.
By giving your card details to anyone else not named as a joint account holder, invalidates any claim you make if money is stolen or your card is cloned whilst in the hands of someone other than yourself.
Your bank may be fond of you but they're not that fond, they're a business.

Callistemon Thu 30-Apr-20 18:31:55

Our neighbour brings us a few things and waves away any offer of money or setting up BACS, so I am keeping a careful tally.

GabriellaG54 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:29:04

Me too Seefah
I have RBS Halifax Nationwide M&S and Barclays apps. They cannot allow you to amend your address or certain details, for which you need to go onto the website (internet banking) and that means a different password and username which the OP may find a fiddle.
If I was liable to forget or get muddled, I would recommend a debit card to give your shopper, loaded with certain amounts which you can top up and check your spending.

phoenix Thu 30-Apr-20 18:27:14

I think you really need to bite the bullet and do some sort of either online or phone banking.

I pay my window cleaner via BACS, also the chap who cuts the grass, does the odd jobs etc.

Some people are worried about giving "details", but if you look at your cheque book, it shows your account number and sort code, so every person you pay by cheque has that information!

Obviously that is not the same as giving passwords, pin numbers etc.

Caro57 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:21:16

Online banking is far more secure than handing out your bank card

GabriellaG54 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:18:47

us is

GabriellaG54 Thu 30-Apr-20 18:18:18

Digital banking us even simpler than online banking. The apps are a breeze to use.

CBBL Thu 30-Apr-20 18:13:39

I have just applied for a "Pre-paid" card. Intended by the supplier for using abroad to pay for things either in local currency or Sterling - it's free to use in the UK. No Fee to obtain the card, no fee for transactions! You will need to use online banking to "load" the money onto the card, though. Mine is from Transferwise. You "load" the card with an amount you are comfortable with (£20, £30 etc.) and the card can be used like any debit card to pay for goods. While it is possible to withdraw money on the card - only the amount in credit on it can be used.
Some Supermarkets are now offering Vouchers. You buy them, by paying the particular supermarket (by telephone - they post the vouchers to you) and you can then give the vouchers to someone else to do your shopping for you. The only disadvantage is - the Vouchers can only be used in the specified store.
The card I applied for (just awaiting delivery) can be used anywhere that accepts debit cards. For any retailer that does not accept cards - the same card can be used to withdraw cash from an ATM to pay for goods.

Lilypops Thu 30-Apr-20 17:39:51

Water meadow , I believe that Aldi , Marks &Spencer ,Waitrose and Sainsbury’s also do these volunteer shopper cards as well as Asda , so it gives you more choice to shop ,

Lilypops Thu 30-Apr-20 17:34:52

My neighbour does my shopping for me, she told me about Asda volunteer shopper card , I went online. Put her email and her name in , then I put my name in and the amount I want to load on it , it’s goes through my bank account , an email is sent to my neighbour with the amount I authorise in a bar code that is on her phone ,, she just scans this at the checkout, I get a receipt from her which shows how much is spent and my balance. It’s very easy to top up when the money runs low ,

Seefah Thu 30-Apr-20 15:26:47

I used to do my banking on my laptop but then I got an iPhone years ago and never looked back ! I don’t have the patience to fiddle with telephone banking or cheques. I access the app with face recognition. I record all my payees on my app and I can transfer money in 2 seconds literally easy peasy. I just need their account no and sort code. Nat West is easy to register. HSBC app is a bit less clear. Metro bank is simple ! I keep one account with zero overdraft , exclusively for spending and only put limited money in so I don’t worry about hackers or crooks. Never had a problem in 8 years and I travel between 3 countries. I figure I can deal with this app as long as I can see.

H1954 Thu 30-Apr-20 15:16:11

You could be like our neighbour; many of the neighbours who do online shopping will send out a message asking if anyone needs anything adding onto their order. This is a great way to help each other. However, one man asks people to add things which they then leave in his step when the order is delivered. Does he pay? No he does not! He has never offered a penny to anyone, constantly moans about the lockdown, accepts cooked meals and baked items from various sources and doesn't repay any favours! He must be bloody loaded!

Greciangirl Thu 30-Apr-20 14:35:46

Another oldie here who does Internet banking. I’m 75 years old and find it very simple and easy. In fact it’s a godsend.

Persevere Watermeadow. Just follow the instructions to begin with and write down your passwords until you are able to remember them.

Tinydancer Thu 30-Apr-20 14:33:35

My bank HSBC helped me set up online banking on my phone at the latter end of last year and it's even simpler than on a laptop.
They said come back in to the branch if you get stuck which I did the first time but since then it has been invaluable with others shopping for me.
I was so nervous at first of getting it wrong but now it is something I do without any worries.
I dont know if bank appointments are available now but if you can get set up it is worth it.
Best of luck.

Tangerine Thu 30-Apr-20 13:47:55

Some bank accounts have the facility for the payee to pay in the cheque online using smartphone.

Could some of your helpers do that?

I think you can pay in cheques at a bank using the banks inside or at the counter. You may be able to pay in cheques using the machines outside. I think you can with Nationwide.

Internet banking is safe so, if you can do it, it might be the best way.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 30-Apr-20 13:43:36

I have made my youngest a joint holder so she has a debit card as well as myself. As long as you have someone you can trust why not do this yourself.

hallgreenmiss Thu 30-Apr-20 13:33:01

Haven’t RTFT so apologies if someone has already suggested this:-

www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/how-to-pay-volunteers-helping-with-shopping-during-coronavirus-lockdown/

Authoress Thu 30-Apr-20 12:50:54

I do shopping for an elderly neighbour, who also doesn't have internet banking. He's given me a wadge of cash to call off from, in the new plastic notes so I can wash them. I'd rather have a bank transfer, because I'm trying not to use cash myself, but this is a reasonable compromise!

HootyMcOwlface Thu 30-Apr-20 12:45:51

You can pay in cheques at the Post Office, or someone can do it for you. They give you an envelope (relevant to your Bank) to put your cheque and paying-in slip in and then you fill in a few details on the front, seal it up, hand it over the counter and they give you a receipt. Really useful since all our Bank branches have closed.

Doreen5 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:42:39

Giving your card to someone else to use could invalidate any claim you may have to make against fraud. Check with your bank to see if they are happy for you to do this.

Mauriherb Thu 30-Apr-20 12:25:41

I've been using online banking for several years and find it very easy and convenient, but if you don't want to use it I don't understand why you can't give them a cheque. The banks are open although shorter hours, and as others have said, they can use a banking app on their phone to pay in cheques