Gransnet forums

Chat

Fabric or leather sofas

(59 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 11:35:50

Which do you prefer?

Mollygo Mon 20-Dec-21 13:25:18

Our leather furniture has lasted for years. It looks good and it’s comfortable, grandchild and dog proof and easy to clean.
My ventures into fabric sofas whilst the children were small were expensive and short term, and that was before the dogs. My only fabric sofa now is a sofa bed and I can replace the cover on that as often as it needs.

Nannashirlz Mon 20-Dec-21 16:30:07

I’ve leather great when grandkids visit any accidents easier to wipe also with covid nowadays you can clean after ppl visit you. I have a throw on them too for colder weather. Last time had fabric sofa covers spent more time in the wash than on sofa but it was yellow.

dogsmother Mon 20-Dec-21 16:38:26

Why the emotive language…..do you all talk about wearing dead cows on your feet!

Mollygo Mon 20-Dec-21 16:49:51

dogsmother, its another way of signalling the virtues of veganism I suppose. I’d google an image of someone sitting on a dead cow but that’s even worse than the emotive language.
No to dead cow shoes either. There is always a choice of leather or non-biodegradable plastic shoes to wear though they never seem to last as long.
My fabric sofas were not environmentally friendly as I needed to wash the covers and/or replace them more often. That’s why I have leather.

dogsmother Mon 20-Dec-21 18:06:22

I should stick to the subject, apologies to original poster. I’m currently on secondhand stressless and love the leather and wood.
But please no virtue signalling……

Georgesgran Wed 22-Dec-21 19:04:13

Leather for me in the main lounge - I’m not really conscious of it being cold or slippery - depends on what you’re wearing I suppose.
Fabric sofa and chair (Next) in small family room. The leather is 12 years old and only the 3 seater looks a bit worn - the 2 seater and chair are as good as new.

Mattsmum2 Wed 22-Dec-21 20:21:52

I’ve had the same GPlan leather sofa a armchair for nearly 15 years. It still looks great even with pets and children. I will always have leather as I think good ones stand the test of time for use and fashion. The only thing I would urge anyone who is buying leather is do not get one with stitching on the seat. My mum did and it stretches over time and splits

MissAdventure Wed 22-Dec-21 20:44:55

Mine is leather, and was leather long before I met it.
So, that cow is at least being put to conserving the planet by reducing waste.