Gransnet forums

Chat

Charity shops

(41 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 03-May-20 19:59:07

I absolutely love love love charity shops....I love them because they are filled to the brim ... its like buffet of excitement .. I'm not choosy which ones I go to but I do like Harrogate, Otley and Ilkley ones....

smile smile smile

silverlining48 Mon 04-May-20 09:47:36

I have always thought anything unsuitable is sold by weight to a scrap company. Not thrown in a skip. Oh dear.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 09:56:03

Thank goodness we took two unwanted pieces of furniture before this happened.
I hope they will make them some money and don't get skipped.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 09:57:27

Our BRC charity shop said they do sell clothes etc to the 'ragman' if unsuitable for sale in the shop.

Liz46 Mon 04-May-20 10:01:28

Yes, I used to volunteer in a charity shop. I was told that the rags are used to make carpet underlay. I have some charity bags on the go in the spare bedroom and have one labelled 'clean rags' so that the staff don't have to sort them out.

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-May-20 10:29:38

I live fairly close to a charity shop and I love the books I buy there- they are in excellent condition and very cheap so there is a good turnover. One room is devoted to showing the books and they seem to do very well.

I have bought new or almost new wine glasses but never the clothes- they are clean but have had a good innings.

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 14:51:16

I bought some nice wine glasses which match my dinner service.
And some nice china which I do not need.

notanan2 Mon 04-May-20 14:56:42

I said this only yesterday to DP. I really miss exploring my favourite second hand shops.

notanan2 Mon 04-May-20 14:59:19

Meryl
No donation signs dont work. People just fly tip the doorway. Then you have WET waste to dispose of

So in a way, easier to take it as dry waste and quietly skip it out the back at a more convenient time than when youre trying to open the door in the morning.

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-May-20 15:04:24

Callistemon would you like some more? I have had them since my parents died in 1979 and they have moved 4 times since then and I could make better use of the space!

They are too good to throw out and who wants them now?

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 16:27:45

smile I really have far too much already Charleygirl, thank you very much though!
The trouble is much of this stuff comes with memories attached.

I think they'll end up in a skip one day.
I daren't look at the china in the charity shops

Callistemon Mon 04-May-20 16:31:09

MerylStreep what kinds of things go well in a charity shop, or does it depend on area?

My neighbour used to go up to London to shop for clothes in charity shops.

We usually ask before handing in donations; I know bedding goes to the ragman as they can't sell that, obviously, but the manager did accept duvets and said they are paid by weight.

chocolatepudding Mon 04-May-20 16:31:44

This is a little bit off topic but I run a charityplant stall outside my front gate to raise funds for the local Hospice.
I have 12 friends who give plants, vegetables, flowers and fruit. Some of themhaveallotments so I get the surplus produce.
This past 2 weeks sales have taken off - tomato plants have sold out within an hour. Last Saturday I sold loads of rhubarb, tomato plants and runner bean plants and took in over £60.
In total we have raised over £300 for the Hospice.

I enjoy visiting charityshops you neverknow what will be for sale. I buy clothes, cards, kitchen stuff and 1000 piecejigsaws.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 20:44:52

I've noticed that over the years they seem to have more new stuff in than secondhand goods and prices have risen beyond inflation.
I do like some of them but find they're multiplying on every High Street whilst also benefitting from reduced rents due to their charitable status.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 20:51:24

I gave a Vax vacuum to BHF a few months ago. Almost new condition and I emptied and washed the filter and attachments. I much prefer my cordless.
I expect they have electricians go over electricals with a fine-tooth comb before selling.

May7 Mon 04-May-20 21:26:47

Merylstreep I assumed that anything unsuitable was sold as rag I didn’t realise it was actually binned?

My mum and dad love charity shops and we donate unwanted items regularly but then we have a deluge of them in our village. They are always full of customers