Gransnet forums

Chat

Which supermarket helps you?

(47 Posts)
Doodle Tue 05-May-20 19:56:19

Looking at another thread many were saying they had a problem with Sainsbury’s. We are long time Waitrose shoppers. Have they helped us. No not in the least. Without Sainsbury’s we would starve.

Do you think it varies area to area?

Which supermarket helps you?

Desdemona Tue 05-May-20 21:09:13

Morrisons are doing "Doorstep Deliveries" for the elderly and vulnerable at the moment which don't require booking a slot, as long as the person lives within 2.5 miles of a store. It is also limited to choices from a list of essential items but is still very useful.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 21:16:23

These deliveries are not the 'essentials boxes' that M&S still offers.

SueDonim Tue 05-May-20 21:37:39

None, to answer the OP. I had a Sainsbury’s delivery just before lockdown and found one C&C slot about three weeks again, that’s all.

Some C&C slots were available for next weekend but I don’t need enough yet to fulfill the minimum price. I hope I can get a slot later in the week.

Doodle Tue 05-May-20 21:51:34

Feel sorry for the people who didn’t get their Easter order Gabriella.
It seems we are very lucky to be able to get a weekly slot from Sainsbury’s but in other parts of the country others do not seem so lucky.

May7 Tue 05-May-20 22:12:42

Well let’s hope that Ocado manage to get their act together before m&s hop onboard.
I’ve used Ocado for years and they have been worse than useless. Shopping in basket for 5 weeks and no delivery slots

I eventually binned the basket and tried to ring them - not taking calls, tried to live chat - not doing that either. Eventually emailed and they thanked me for my patience! They have new slots every day apparently. Well not for this valued customer they don’t.

Bit of a rant but it’s about the only thing that’s really pushed my angry button. So gotta vote with your feet.
Coop get my custom every time now.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 22:19:01

Yes Doodle that was awful but we are at the mercy of these companies to a large extent despite the increasing use of independents, arm shops and markets.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-May-20 22:20:12

Oops!
Not ?? shops, farm shops.

BlueBelle Tue 05-May-20 22:23:37

Iceland have done me proud four deliveries in the last four weeks True I ve had to change a few things I would normally buy but hey ho you have to. make adjustments in life I ve never done a weekly shop there before, bought bits and bobs but they have really stepped up to the mark and there are some slots released every day I ve tried all the others Asda Morrison’s Tesco (we don’t have Sainsbury’s Waitrose or Ocado in the area ) and nothing so my money has gone to Iceland
Good for them

pensionpat Tue 05-May-20 22:29:14

Iceland are excellent. They release the delivery slots at random times during the day and I have been able to easily book a delivery every week. Delivery always the following day or the next. They only release 2 days slots at a time. I also get a top-up from the Morrison’s service, mentioned by Desdemona. No slots to book. Ring 0345 611 6111 and speak to a human who goes through the basic shopping list. Free delivery the rolling day. The last 2 orders contained a bunch of free flowers.

avitorl Tue 05-May-20 22:29:22

Iceland also came to my aid ,slots have been very easy to get in same week,so I will keep using them when things are "normal" again.

NannaLyn Tue 05-May-20 23:41:08

At first, neither Sainsbury's or Waitrose would recognise me as extremely vulnerable in spite of my Gov.I'm

NannaLyn Tue 05-May-20 23:59:38

Whoops. That was wrong. As I was saying,
Wasn't recognised in spite of Gov. and NHS letters.

All the supermarkets now recognise my plight but apart from Waitrose, I have difficulties in getting slots. I managed one with Sainsbury's and was pleased with quality of food. I've had 2 Waitrose deliveries but was disappointed with the use by dates and the bananas were dreadful. Today I managed to book a slot with Tesco for this Saturday. Think it's wrong that Sainsbury's and Tesco charge you for delivery, even if you spend over £65.

There are things for and against the varieties in so the shops and I think the quality of the fresh food you receive depends on the branch that sends it. (My Waitrose order comes from a different branch from the one where I usually shop, who are very helpful but I could only "click and collect" with them.)

Will just have to see how Tesco's compares.

arosebyanyothername Wed 06-May-20 00:16:37

Sainsbury’s have had no slots available for either delivery or click and collect since the lockdown started.
OH has been recognised as vulnerable by Waitrose in the last week and has just been allocated his 1st slot. They have been very helpful.
Before that the only slots I could get were Tesco. It’s very hit & miss though. I’ve found that just after midnight is a good time to look (in my area) ?

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 06-May-20 00:19:52

We're 70+ and not in a vulnerable category according to Sainsbury's - Waitrose say we are!

Sainsbury - no help at all. Tried regularly and never ever any dates.
Asda - can always get a slot but have to wait up to three weeks. You can select whether or not you will accept a substitute. If they are not suitable you get an instant refund. Up to 1/5 of items out of stock
Morrisons - slot available but up to 3 week wait. Substitute items - no refunds offered. Up to 1/4 of items out of stock
Waitrose - got a slot (8 day wait). Can choose whether to accept substitutes.

heath480 Wed 06-May-20 00:22:20

Waitrose emailed me to say they had identified me as being over 70 and I could have a delivery slot once a week.

It has been brilliant,even got bread flour.

I suppose it depends which area you live in.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 06-May-20 00:22:58

Bluebell.
You don't need to have the supermarkets in your area.

I've got a slot with Waitrose and the closest shop is nearly an hours drive away.

My Morrisons delivery comes from a depot not a supermarket.

jeanie99 Wed 06-May-20 04:30:57

The area you live in and the population must have a impact on the available deliveries I suspect.
Back in early March when we returned from our holidays I registered on all the supermarkets in our area.
I have no luck with Iceland Waitrose and Sainsburys, my deliveries come from Tesco, Asda and Morrisons in that order. Only had two click and collect the rest are deliveries usually every 6 days. The available slots tend to come up during the night between 12am and 4am, never managed to get a slot during the day.
Hubby picks up prescriptions when necessary and I've had a hospital appointment and I've been walking some days but usually stay round the house doing gardening etc. Plenty to do have been quite busy.

ninathenana Wed 06-May-20 06:45:57

We have no choice but to use Tesco at the moment. Sainsbury's and Asda are 12-15 mile drive away and Waitrose more like 20 miles. I'm not even sure the first two deliver to our area.
We gave up on delivery slots. Himself walks to Tesco then I collect him in the car.

Largolass Wed 06-May-20 09:55:23

Sainsbury's have been brilliant in my area plenty of slots available so my order arrives same day and time each week. The driver told me some weeks ago that they had taken on twenty extra drivers at the store.

CassieJ Wed 06-May-20 10:20:28

My parents are very vulnerable and self isolating. I set up a Sainsbury's account for them and ordered their shopping for them last week using the priority slot. Ordered Monday, got a slot for Tuesday evening with no problems. Very happy with their service.

Initially it did say they weren't vulnerable even though I had set it up for them and had the priority slot from Sainsbury themselves. It said they could click and collect. I phoned the helpline and the person I spoke to was really good and changed it all and set up the priority order for them.

12Michael Wed 06-May-20 13:15:50

I when, I was able to shop would use the bus and go to Sainsburys in Bicester ,mainly as in some case more economical.
But since Lockdown , the local Waitrose is used more often, I note price difference on some items.
With Nectar card , I can spend my accumulated points sometimes and basically get a free shop so to speak
There is talk of a Sainsburys being built here , its bee on the cards for over 4 years ,and its was approved earlier this year , but no development yet.
M & S sometimes , what has annoyed me with Waitrose , 2 items I like Warburtons Danish Bread , they have ceased to do it ,and also a ready made meal Nasi Gorengs seems the later does not meet there advertising or product standards .
Mick