Gransnet forums

Chat

Roots/origins of words - does anyone else do this?

(56 Posts)
Witzend Thu 07-May-20 11:17:33

A dd and I, both linguistically minded, often used to amuse ourselves by looking up words in a very fat dictionary that gave origins/first noted usage, etc. I still do now and then.

One I particularly remember was ‘acre’. This came about because a Swedish friend’s son who’d got a job in London was coming to stay with us. Having never met him I had to wait at Heathrow with his name on a placard - it was Aker, with a little circle thing over the A.

I later asked him whether it meant anything in Swedish - yes, it meant ‘field’. So I thought, aha, I wonder if it’s related to ‘acre’? Sure enough, it was - the Anglo Saxon version meant the amount of land that could be ploughed by 2 oxen in a day.

Not only that, but there are very similar words with the same meaning in Dutch and German, not to mention Latin and Greek, all going back to an Indo-European root shared by Sanskrit.

Another one I like is riff-raff, which in Anglo Saxon apparently meant ‘sweepings of rags’!
I hope I’m not the only one who finds such things fascinating!

Elizabeth1 Fri 08-May-20 12:44:07

Oops error here not tampons meant to be tamsons

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 08-May-20 12:46:37

Me too. I love finding out the origins of words as English has many which derive from other languages. Also the proper words of many flowers, illnesses, etc.

Greta Fri 08-May-20 13:17:33

I'm always looking up words and find the origins fascinating. Witzend, interesting story about your Swedish friend's son. Swedish is my mother tongue. There is a common Swedish word 'åker' which means 'field'. Is that what you had written on the placard? However, the Swedish masculine name is Åke (no 'r' at the end).

This from Wikipedia: Åke is a masculine Swedish given name, possibly derived from the medieval Germanic name name Anicho, derived from ano meaning "ancestor".

In Sweden we celebrate people's Name Day and boys and men named Åke celebrate their Name Day today, the 8 May.

Witzend Fri 08-May-20 19:21:06

Yes, it was, Greta, as I said in my OP.

Fennel Fri 08-May-20 19:43:59

8th May for Ake - conrgats and many happy returns to all of you!
It is indeed fascinating. So many words from Scandinavian countries woven into our everyday language. Especially in the north of the UK. Where my family comes from. Some of my ancestors used to trade on sailing ships between Tyneside and Scandinavia. Coal and pine pit props.
Trade and inter mingling lead to change in culture and language.