Gransnet forums

Chat

Strangely comforting

(44 Posts)
kittylester Thu 07-May-20 11:38:21

Our village has a fabulous community spirit generally but especially during lock down

As I'm very old (71!!) and cant be an active part of things at the moment (and I cant sew masks or headbands) I have been adding tins and dried goods to my Sainsbury's order for the hot meal and food bank service.

I leave these on the gate post and email the coordinator for them to be collected.

The coordinator is a Baptist minister and always signs off her emails with 'Blessings and love'

I am not a believer but find that so comforting.

Is there something that strange that makes you feel good?

MawB Thu 07-May-20 11:44:07

In our village these are left at the church lych gate for the local food bank who organise their distribution.
I agree about village community spirit, it has really been brought out here during this crisis and our village shop which was previously frankly ropey and I suspect on the way out, has somehow had a new lease of life, offering excellent fresh stock, reasonable prices and will deliver free.

vampirequeen Thu 07-May-20 11:48:24

I don't particularly like dogs. I've never had one and, although I can see how they're company etc. I couldn't do with being tied down by one. It's not that I don't like them. I'm just ambivalent to them and never feel inclined to fuss over them. Well I say that but maybe I should say that I never used to feel inclined. Stepson and DIL have a pug. It's the sweetest little thing ...well the poor thing has been bred to look sweet and attractive to humans. But it's what he does when we leave that affects me. I'm used to ignoring dogs and, once they realise that I'm not going to make of fuss of them, being ignored in return but this little dog cries when we leave. No annoying barking. No jumping. Just sad whimpering. It really tugs on my heartstrings but is also really nice to think we may be missed.

Actually I think he's rather clever because Stepson and DIL spoil him so when we leave and he cries they give him treats to make him feel better. He doesn't cry for us at all. He just knows that if he does he gets a treat grin

Lucca Thu 07-May-20 12:49:32

??

felice Thu 07-May-20 13:35:08

I emailed my GP this morning for a prescription, I asked after his family(I have met his daughter) etc.
Within 10 minutes I received said prescription and a really nice mail asking how I was and telling me that the rest of the family who are not registered with him can contact him if need be.
It was a nice chatty personal mail and gave me a sense of security.
He also added his mobile number which I already have anyway.

polnan Fri 08-May-20 09:53:55

kittylester if you are very old at 71, what does that make me!

can`t think of anything offhand,but reading your comment felice, I rang our docs surgery just before closing last night, receptionist said to call back Monday, after I had told her what my problem was,,, they insist on that

5 mins later the doc rang.. so I suppose that comforted me..

MawB Fri 08-May-20 09:58:31

Still wondering what Vampirequeen was on about....confused

TrendyNannie6 Fri 08-May-20 10:05:29

Do you really consider yourself old KittyLester at 71 or was that tongue in cheek , what a lovely thing to do that’s really kind

pce612 Fri 08-May-20 10:06:22

MawB Me too.....

micky987 Fri 08-May-20 10:18:23

This isn’t ‘strangely’ comforting, but comforting all the same. When I’ve been on my feet at work all day (I work in a jewellery shop so it’s certainly not hard work) and I get home to find my husband has lit the fire, put the dinner on and hands me a glass of my favourite wine. He’s usually been working far far harder than me all day as he’s a farmer.

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 08-May-20 10:26:48

Vampirequeen must have posted on the wrong post. Well we all have Covid brain at present!

Cambia Fri 08-May-20 10:38:25

My mum was old at 60! I am 65 now and have decided old is always ten years ahead of me!

Theoddbird Fri 08-May-20 10:38:28

I never see anyone unless on my once a week shop or click and collect. My comfort...I get lost in my quilting. Near the end of an on off 7 year project hand piecing 2400 pieces. I sat on my jetty in the sun yesterday sewing and listening to the birds. Yes...definitely comforting....

NotSpaghetti Fri 08-May-20 10:43:13

How lovely Theoddbird to sit peacefully on your little jetty.
?
I think I'd like to join you there.

maddyone Fri 08-May-20 10:47:07

In these strange times my husband and myself usually have a bath and get into our pyjamas around eight o clock in the evening. We then settle down for an hour and just watch television together. Simple pleasures I know, but I feel calm and comforted during those evening times. Just us two, and the world and all it’s problems outside, for a precious short time, out of mind. We’ve just watched the series Innocent this week, we watched it when it was first on, but had forgotten the plot, but it wouldn’t have mattered if we remembered, it’s the cosy safety in my own home with my husband that I find particularly comforting.

Hawera1 Fri 08-May-20 10:58:30

Funnily I find baking comforting. Not sure why. Perhaps I feel I'm being nurturing.

Saggi Fri 08-May-20 10:59:21

I understood your post Vampirequeen’

CarlyD7 Fri 08-May-20 11:09:03

I've had a chronic illness for nearly 7 years now and have been confined to home for a lot of that period, watching the world go by and other people getting on with their lives, whilst I am excluded. At the moment, I feel, for the first time in all those years, a part of the world and feel very comforted by that.

kittylester Fri 08-May-20 11:16:47

To all those wondering - I certainly didn't consider myself old (I'm only 71 for heavens sake) but it has been decided that I am!

To be honest, I find that really irritating as I was a very busy volunteer, mother, Ma, sister and friend before the lockdown. I can see the reasoning but hate it!!

BlueSky Fri 08-May-20 11:26:16

Just people I've spoken to on the phone, not family or friends, just banks and business, they all end with a 'Stay safe'.

b1zzle Fri 08-May-20 11:30:01

I find Gransnet comforting especially when I read that there are others out there who have the same random thoughts, ideas and fears as me.

Parky Fri 08-May-20 12:02:58

I think vampirequeen finds the little dog comforting.

Lettice Fri 08-May-20 12:06:01

Possibly because of the need to concentrate, but I find untangling a pile of yarn, or threads, or wires (anything that can get tangled) and rolling into a neat ball or skein to be comforting and satisfying.

Phloembundle Fri 08-May-20 12:45:29

My garden is my comfort and joy. I heard my first swifts of the year yesterday, and my local blackbird sings to me every morning and evening.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 08-May-20 12:51:07

I found it comforting to see five school children aged about nine waiting for the bus I was a passenger in. Standing well apart.

When the bus pulled up, one boy said politely to the bus driver, "Please wait for my friend." The friend was limping on crutches so the two other boys made sure he got on the bus.

When the children got off, the girls jumped off first, then one of them called to the boy with the broken leg, "I've got your bag." and right enough, there she was doggedly trudging down the road carrying two heavy school-bags.