Gransnet forums

Chat

So much has changed

(17 Posts)
Daisymae Sat 09-May-20 17:27:46

Totally disagree. So all of the older generation developed strength of character? I don't think so. People cope with the change of circumstances as best they can. We have young people in front line jobs, performing complicated tasks and sometimes making impossible life and death decisions. Children are currently studying at home in situations that could only be imagined a few short months ago. People are people, there are good and bad traits running through everyone and sometimes strength of character shines though. Doesn't really matter how old or young you are.

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-May-20 14:13:12

I agree with Grandmafrench
Amongst more important changes which IMO are not for the betterment of society, I find the lauding of females who have distorted their bodies into gross parodies and the column inches and ridiculous descriptions given to females parading their distorted figures on every scrap of social media possible.
Media men are encouraging the lowest common denominators in society.
Their very phraseology makes me sick.

Lucca Sat 09-May-20 13:54:14

Totally disagree. You can’t generalise like that. Watching some of the VE Day programme I was struck by the horror of sending small children away for evacuation who were quite possibly treated unkindly or even suffered abuse. There have always been good people and bad people

ginny Sat 09-May-20 13:49:23

I disagree. There are and have always been selfish and greedy people.
As a previous poster said show me one who ‘needs a kicking’ and I’ll show you hundreds who certainly don’t.
I have been amazed at the kindness and good deed of so many from all age groups.

Mapleleaf Sat 09-May-20 11:27:00

Well spoken, Callistemon and others. It's so easy to berate "the present generation" isn't it, and look at the past through rose tinted spectacles? Certainly, there are many things that are undesirable in the world today, but that has always been the case.

However, there is, always has been and always will be much to celebrate and be proud of in this country and throughout the world.
I'm assuming, Annecan that this is an article you've read in the media/social media somewhere? It appears to me, though, that elements of the media and social media tend to relish homing in on the things that are wrong with the world with what often seems like little balance, and rarely focus on what is good in the world- after all that doesn't make good copy, does it? Their philosophy seems to be to focus on the bad things, make guestimates of worst case scenarios and generally zoom in on doom and gloom, which results in many feeling frightened, worried and ill at ease with the world we live in. It can, if we allow it, cloud our judgement.

I'm not for one minute, suggesting that only good things should be reported, or that we should shy away from the bad, the unjust, the frightening things, that definitely go on in this world of ours, but what I do think is that there needs to be much more balance and accuracy, not fear mongering, from some quarters of the media and social media.

Oldwoman70 Sat 09-May-20 10:19:37

Perhaps the OP could give us the name of the person who wrote those words.

Of course there are selfish people (as there have always been) but I think they are in the minority.

Maybe it is a case of receiving the same as you give - if you are unpleasant and selfish you will perceive everyone else to be the same.

aggie Sat 09-May-20 10:05:49

I live in a small village , the lockdown has resulted in more volunteers offering to shop for the most vulnerable , the Primary School pupils have written cheery letters to add to small bags of nice things which have been hand delivered by willing helpers .
We are all out clapping on Thursday, funerals are marked by socially distant lining of the roads
Does that sound like a selfish shallow people ?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-May-20 10:02:52

I agree with you Callistemon there has always been more goodness around than bad, unfortunately the saying bad news travels fast is true.

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 09:47:32

And how could I forget Colonel Tom?!
And a young boy with spina bifida who is walking with his frame, inspired by Colonel Tom to raise money for charity? An ex-Wren, Marjorie Lamb age 99, who is walking round her garden to raise money for the NHS too.

For every person you think needs a massive kicking, Annecan, we will find you a thousand who are inspirational and another few thousands or more who are stoical in the present circumstances.

Nice choice of words, btw.
Just what people need at the present.
There are always people around like the author of that piece, unfortunately, who only ever see the bad in others.
Perhaps they should take a dose of their own medicine.
What a shame it seems to be anonymous, but that is not surprising.

Oopsminty Fri 08-May-20 23:18:52

I don't agree at all.

Very lazy writing and wrong on most levels.

And hear, hear, Callistemon

Callistemon Fri 08-May-20 22:59:33

I'm inclined to disagree.

People have stayed at home because they were advised that this would help the NHS to cope with the expected numbers of those requiring care, not because they are selfish and fearful.
Neighbours have helped those around them who are more vulnerable.

Young people have set up voluntary groups to shop, fetch medication, walk dogs and run errands for those who are on the shielded list.

Warehouse workers, grocery pickers and delivery drivers, postal workers are doing their utmost to get food and other items to people and with a cheerful smile too.

Other essential workers are out there ensuring that our streets are safe, we continue get clean water, electricity, gas, our refuse collected etc.

And as for the NHS - well those words are an insult to the men and women of the NHS.

There have always been those who are selfish, feckless, uncaring and downright criminal in every generation.

Who wrote that - a pointless journalist?

Grandmafrench Fri 08-May-20 22:38:27

I've not experienced anything other than a stoic acceptance of our present difficulties and a willingness to help which, sadly, and in my experience, has been in a sad decline over at least the last 30 years. I don't long for the past but I would love to see a turning away from shallow, transitory and selfish and back towards preserving standards and care for each other - and for the planet on which we live. I didn't feel that the OP was referring to life in lockdown but it was her view on life generally, though maybe I've got that wrong.

timetogo2016 Fri 08-May-20 10:03:48

I agree JenniferEccles.
i have been amazed how we have just got on with it.
Whilst queueing i too chat to those in front and behind and we seem to have accepted the situation we are in.
I hope this stays with us if we ever get back to what was the norm.

JenniferEccles Fri 08-May-20 09:55:22

Do we view the past through rose coloured glasses I wonder?

Haven’t there always been shallow selfish people? Today we have a mixture the same as any other generation.

I am off out shortly for a food shop. Judging by previous weeks, there will be a good natured queue, patiently waiting our turn. I often get chatting to the person in front or behind me and everyone without exception has accepted the current situation for what it is.

Have I just been fortunate in those I encounter? Possibly but we need to speak as we find.

Grandmafrench Fri 08-May-20 09:01:56

I wish it was a ‘sneering generalisation’ but just seeing the changes and too many not for the better; reading the news, listening and looking around, I tend to agree that there’s not a lot in society now with which I would want to identify. Dreadful low (and accepted) standards, shallow people and me, me, me (and to hell with everyone else seem to be the standard bearers of society now. There’s still good stuff but we need to watch out before that’s wiped out, I think.

JenniferEccles Fri 08-May-20 08:52:40

Well I don’t agree with that massive generalisation.

Not sure who said that but now is not the time to berate us when it’s perfectly clear that the majority of the population have stuck to the lockdown rules.

Yes obviously what we are going through with the virus is nothing compared to what our parents endured during the war, but nasty sneering generalisations like that are not helpful.

Annecan Fri 08-May-20 08:35:46

Not my words
But agree with everyone of them—-

How ironic........here we are on the eve of the 75th anniversary of VE Day - the 8th May 1945, when the nation rejoiced at peace in Europe after 5yrs and 8 months of hardship, heroism and sacrifice.

The strength of the character that almost every single soul had developed in those years - not forgetting the 9yrs of rationing, rebuilding and austerity that followed - has pretty much dissipated.

We demand the right to survive, to live long, comfortable, prosperous lives - without risk, without responsibility and without loyalty to anything but our selfish interests and those who signal approval and cheerlead at our mutual shallow posturing.

I am heartily disappointed at what this country has become........it needs a massive collective kicking.