Gransnet forums

Chat

50 Years.

(17 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 09-May-20 12:09:30

No, not our Golden Wedding.

Reminded DH at breakfast that it is 50 years ago today we met. Had he remembered? No, of course not!

He laughed and said “50 years, and never a cross word!”

Not.

But 2 children, 5 grandchildren, a few ups and downs, but nothing major.

After several weeks of lockdown, we are happy and comfortable in each other’s company, plodding along, to me he is still the good looking chap I met at the local dance place all those years ago.

Long may it continue.

BlueSky Sat 09-May-20 12:14:45

How lovely Calendargirl ! I can say the same about my second DH, only in our case it's only 25 years.

SueDonim Sat 09-May-20 13:18:27

How lovely! ❤️

kittylester Sat 09-May-20 13:49:37

Lovely, calendar girl

Lilolil Sat 09-May-20 14:48:01

Same here. It's 50 years ago February just gone. I am amazed until I look in the mirror , with my glasses on.

paddyanne Sat 09-May-20 15:37:19

46 years since we met ,we married exactly a year later.We've spent every day since we met working together too and of course every day of the 45 years living together.You didn't live with someone if you weren't married back then...not in my family anyway

.We're enjoying lockdown ,its the first time in our marriage we haven't had a child living with us for at least half the week ,quite a novelty .
Chances are we may not go back to work,lots of jobs cancelled because of CV some may not survive the break in business ,some might have to cut back on our services .Wasn't how we planned to retire but if it's what happens then its whats meant to be

LadyGracie Sat 09-May-20 16:10:22

51 years since we met in June and 50 years married this coming December.

We won’t be forgetting this year.

SuzannahM Sat 09-May-20 16:39:39

What a lovely post Calendargirl

Pittcity Sat 09-May-20 16:49:19

40 years since we met this year.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 09-May-20 16:54:01

thats lovely to hear CalendarGirl, I think the same thing about my lovely husband and it’s only 30 odd years

Witzend Sat 09-May-20 16:54:32

Congratulations! A ‘Golden Meeting’ card is one Hallmark has yet to think of! (AFAIK at least.)

I must confess that although I still remember the occasion very well, I would never have known even the month, let alone the date. So I was nonplussed when dh turned up some time ago with a big bouquet - it wasn’t my birthday or Valentines Day, and he’s never brought me flowers for the sake of it.

It was 50 years to the day since we met. I was amazed that he’d ever made a note of it - it would have seemed right out of sync with his preferred image (super cool!) at the time!

It was around 7 years later that we got hitched.

Grannybags Sat 09-May-20 16:56:09

Well done Calendargirl ?

It'll be our 50th meeting anniversary in June - how time flies!

Calendargirl Sat 09-May-20 18:31:01

Meant to say in my OP that it was back in the day when you were handed a cloakroom ticket in exchange for your coat. I always slipped my ticket inside my shoe so I didn’t lose it.

Because it was such a momentous meeting, I kept that tatty, sweaty little ticket for ages!

Beechnut Sat 09-May-20 20:03:31

Your thread Calendargirl has made me realise it’s 50 years ago in September since DH and I met on a blind date set up by his workmate.

SalsaQueen Sat 09-May-20 20:11:39

I met my husband 42 years ago. It's our ruby wedding anniversary tomorrow, so we'll have a Sunday roast dinner and some wine. Not what we had planned to do, but it'll still be nice.

BBbevan Sat 09-May-20 20:17:05

Lovely Calendargirl, and I hope you showed your post to your DH . We have clocked up 55.years and it has been great , mostly. A few hiccups of course but 2 wonderful children and 2 granddaughters. What more could you ask for ?

lemongrove Sat 09-May-20 21:59:13

Men don’t have the same memory as we do Calendergirl for things such as dates/ anniversaries?

We celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniversary last weekend, needless to say, not the day we had planned for!
Nice though in the end, with lots of cards, phone calls and roses, and a meal cooked by DH and a bottle of bubbly.