Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm shocked

(73 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sat 09-May-20 22:50:59

Your thoughts...?
For the first few milliseconds I had no idea who it was until I read the banner. ???

NfkDumpling Sun 10-May-20 08:27:55

He'll be back.

Iam64 Sun 10-May-20 08:41:50

BlueBelle - thank you

seacliff Sun 10-May-20 08:44:35

I watched the video, and he was looking down most of the time because he was reading from notes/autocue. So we didn't get eye contact. Right at the end, he did look straight at the camera and did a small smile, which was nice to see. Of course the papers chose not to use that shot.

He does look different. Thinner, and hair brushed back and either got product on, or he is a bit hot and sweaty in that heat.

He never seems to be the old happy Harry. I understand he wanted to get away from the UK and invasive press. I always thought he wanted to live in Africa. he said he loved it there, having freedom and the chance to do good practical work with conservation.

What a difference his life is now, such a fake superficial place to live. He needs to find something practical to get involved in. I wonder what the next year will bring.

Elegran Sun 10-May-20 08:49:38

The comment that he is the same as age as Diana when she died did make me think that he is also in a similar position to Diana - married to someone with a life that is completely different to their previous one, and being made-over to fit it.

EllanVannin Sun 10-May-20 08:50:27

Blimey, it took me all my time to fathom out who it was !
First glance I thought it was Ben Fogle and how old is he compared to Harry ? He'll be sorry, that's all I can say. Nothing worse than the feeling of homesickness.

I've missed all this with the PC being " scatty " yesterday.

harrigran Sun 10-May-20 08:58:56

I do think he will rue the day he met that woman, he appears to be a shadow of his former self.

grannyrebel7 Sun 10-May-20 09:01:33

His face looks very long in that pic a bit like William's.

Urmstongran Sun 10-May-20 09:27:21

I think Harry would have loved living in Africa but Meghan ... probably not. A roving ambassador role within the Commonwealth would probably have been a compromise. But I think Meghan thinks her talents need showcasing and where better than LA?

What did you expect Harry?... You married a greedy, mealy mouthed social climber who spits venom at anyone who dares criticise, who comes from a dysfunctional background and is now freeloading off anyone rich and famous with a spare sofa.... Rather different, isn't it?

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 09:45:04

Gabriella it's obvious to me now that I should have persuaded my DC into a career in rapping!

A mansion, a private jet all from being boring and monotonous.

Grannynannywanny Sun 10-May-20 11:06:04

Maybe now they are living in their chosen location it’s time to surrender Frogmore cottage.

They could regain some respect by suggesting it could be used in a worthwhile way.

Holiday breaks to reward key workers once the crisis is over?

A children’s hospice?

Or respite for disabled war veterans? A cause that is said to be close to Harry’s heart.

They have the power to do so much good. If only they could look beyond themselves and their life of hardship.

Mapleleaf Sun 10-May-20 11:12:51

A good post, Bluebelle. So very true.

merlotgran Sun 10-May-20 11:21:44

Or respite for disabled war veterans? A cause that is said to be close to Harry’s heart.

That would get my vote. I hate to think of a beautiful property going to waste.

There's an episode in The Crown where Philip disapproves of disused buildings being converted for use as a retreat for clergy with mental health problems then changes his mind when he gets to know them. I knew nothing of this and found it interesting.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 12:07:49

BlueBelle
I agree with you, in part. Yes, the press do hound. Yes, they do cherry-pick the photos to suit the narrative and yes, Harry is old enough to make his own happiness and shoulder his own troubles but he has nothing in LA, neither friends nor family and I can't see Charles or William scooting over there even after lockdown.
Meghan had her mum visit here and her mum and friends visited at Frogmore.
He has no job, no role in life. As has been said, he loves/loved Africa and Megan said that she understands elephants having spent some time with them...which was roundly derided by both public and press.
As I see it, Harry is holding onto her coat-tails and Meghan has made him the focus of her attention to the point that he gives up everything, hobbies, friends, home, family, title... life really.
I liked Meghan initially and understand that in the US people are much less formal, more touchy (think of the Obamas and Bush) possibly less sincere and certainly more in thrall to glitz and money, less so manners and propiety.
Harry has lost the paddle and the canoe is heading...where.
I hope he regains some measure of control over his life but perhaps he's a yes man now and content to have it that way, however, we should back off from reporting anything to do with this couple and leave them to carve their own path.
I think that's what we would want for ourselves.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 12:15:53

Callistemon
Whoever pays good money to listen to that rubbish, most of it crude and rude, needs a reality check. $120m on a plane and $18m on a mansion besides the maintenance of both, plus he must have another residence.
Prob drives a Hummer as it goes with the territory. ??

Urmstongran Sun 10-May-20 13:27:26

That bit about the Hummer made me laugh Gabriella!
?

SueDonim Sun 10-May-20 13:37:24

When my son lived in LA we used to sometimes go and look at the Hummer showrooms, Gabriella. His FIL, who is a very sedate pillar of the community, had a secret hankering for one, we reckoned, as his excursions to show us the city often included driving past a Hummer showroom. grin

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 13:46:19

Gabriella
I couldn’t have put it better myself.
I just wish the press would leave them alone, and stop reporting on them altogether. A private life is just that, private. Leave them to get on with it.
Incidentally, as an ex infant/nursery teacher, a parent, and a grandparent, I thought the clip of Meghan reading to Archie was absolutely cringe worthy. The baby wasn’t engaged with either Meghan or the book. As the clip was released for the world to see, I’m able to comment on it; had they not sought publicity with it, I wouldn’t have been able to express an opinion.

Oopsminty Sun 10-May-20 13:51:28

Maddyone

They don't want a private life really.

Harry must be missing his norm. Life there is just one big paparazzi playground.

Strange set of affairs

Magsymoo Sun 10-May-20 13:56:31

This thread is just another excuse to bash Meghan. Pathetic.

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 14:21:00

Magsy
It’s not bashing Meghan to say that as they specified they wanted a private life, then a private life they should have. And as Oopsminty indicated, it appears they don’t want a private life at all.
And I’m sorry, but as an ex teacher, I thought the reading to Archie clip was appalling, she was totally unable to engage the baby’s interest, or to be lead by the baby at all. If privacy is what they want, perhaps you could enlighten me as to why they released the clip at all. That’s not privacy.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 15:36:23

Magsymoo
No. I rather liked her, initially, but picture this.
Your son marries a woman from a different background and different country with different attitudes.
You see him being led by the nose by his wife who changes everything about him, his hobbies, his diet, his clothes, his circle of friends, his attitude to his brother and SiL...then announces that he's moving to Canada lock stock and barrel and funding his own life there.
Not only that, but imagine knowing how your son's wife had divorced her husband, was on the hunt for a Prince and targeted your son. Add that she offloaded her father and wider family (yes, 2 sides to every story, I know) and they're sofa surfing on the back of who your son is. I doubt Oprah stepped up to the plate when Meghan married Trevor. She was a two bit actress.
How would you feel eh? If it was your son being manipulated like this.
He was the gooseberry in his brother's marriage and ripe for being feted and swooned over by someone who saw his vulnerability and wish to be settled with a family of his own.

maddyone Sun 10-May-20 15:41:23

Well said Gabriella.

grandMattie Sun 10-May-20 15:48:03

Bravo Gabriella !

Lucca Sun 10-May-20 15:54:25

Posters keep calling Meghan a two-bit actress? Why ? Not everyone is Oscar worthy but still doing a decent job? So as I was never a headteacher was I just a two bit teacher ?

Chewbacca Sun 10-May-20 15:58:07

If you had ridden on the coat tails of someone else's greater influence to further your career then yes, you would have been Lucca.