Gransnet forums

Chat

What Are You Really Missing?

(111 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 10:35:12

Just that really.

I know many of you will say the grandchildren, the hairdresser, going out for coffee et al.

I am missing the library. I managed to get 6 books out just before they closed, have spread them out as much as possible, but only a few chapters left of my last Robert Galbraith one, and dread finishing it as I will have to resort to ones on my bookshelf, you know the type, ones I bought and haven’t got into.

Oh well.....

??

Teetime Tue 12-May-20 10:43:14

The beautician I suppose - if this moustache gets much bigger I shall be wearing a face covering permanently. Would love to go out for a meal though- so much cooking!!!

Nortsat Tue 12-May-20 10:47:48

Pub lunch in the sunshine.
Hairdresser.
Face to face interaction with my nearest and dearest.
Antiques fairs.

morethan2 Tue 12-May-20 10:56:58

Going to the coast or beautiful gardens.

morethan2 Tue 12-May-20 10:57:52

Oh and browsing in shops sad

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-May-20 11:04:34

I am missing spontaneouty, popping out to visit AC and GC going out for lunch or dinner, or just mooching round the shops.

Anniebach Tue 12-May-20 11:08:03

Putting away all deliveries without having to store things for
x days then washing them .

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 11:09:47

The seaside and browsing the shops. I certainly will miss the peace and quiet of the last 7 weeks.

Brunette10 Tue 12-May-20 11:15:57

Me too Grannygravy.

jaylucy Tue 12-May-20 11:19:52

Hairdresser
Browsing in shops
Fish and chips on a Friday - I live in a village and no deliveries for any take aways at all

12Michael Tue 12-May-20 11:26:32

I miss my Bus trips out to places like Bicester and Buckingham, mainly as I have got to meet many on the bus journey between Brackley and Buckingham,
Mind you one friendship has come out of I plucked up the courage to ask the person who I have known since using this bus route for her phone , the first few weeks regular calls ,but have eased back , finding what to talk about .
But hoping in next few months things change for the better
Mick

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 11:31:43

Oooh 12Michael, I wonder will it blossom into something more?
Watch this space...??

merlotgran Tue 12-May-20 11:32:02

We miss the occasional pub lunch and village events that have obviously had to be cancelled.

DH misses fishing and I miss a day to myself browsing in town while he's doing it!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 12-May-20 11:33:11

Normality really,

Blondiescot Tue 12-May-20 11:40:36

Apart from really needing my hair done (which isn't that important in the grand scheme of things), the only thing I really miss is being able to see my daughter who is a nurse. We are lucky in that my son and grandson live with us, so I see them every day, but I do miss seeing her.

Purplepixie Tue 12-May-20 11:44:11

I miss the obvious ones first - family.

Then
Going to the bingo once in a while and seeing friends there.
Pub lunches with DH.
My painting group, once per week.
Holidays with DH.
Good fish and chips.
My little wool shop.
The library.
Theatre.
And freedom to do what I want, when I want.

The peace and quiet of this lock down and hearing birdsong will be remembered forever but I do miss normality

Guineagirl Tue 12-May-20 12:09:17

Days out and a pub meal after and not rushing home either.

Nortsat Tue 12-May-20 12:15:16

Yes Purplepixie, I think you’ve nailed it - ‘the freedom to do what I want to do, when I want to do it ...’

Tabbycat Tue 12-May-20 12:25:35

In no particular order, I miss: seeing other people; going to church; meals out; holidays; going to the hairdresser; having my nails done ...

MamaCaz Tue 12-May-20 12:31:10

Moseying around the charity shops looking for crafting bargains.
That's about it really!

BlueSky Tue 12-May-20 12:38:26

Browsing in shops, planning/going on holidays/short breaks/visits to far away family!

farview Tue 12-May-20 12:47:00

Normality.....hope that I never again take it for granted ?

eazybee Tue 12-May-20 12:51:17

Missing, but not desperately:
going out for long walks and pub lunches
art class
U3A
face to face tutorials with OU
'popping' to the shops rather than organised once a week shop at local Tesco
browsing in my local bookshop;

I am enjoying:
the zoom contact with family and friends
the peace and quiet
getting some jobs done that I have managed to avoid;
appreciate that I am fortunate in not having to worry about dependents/ relatives/ work;
my life has not changed greatly and I am glad to realise that I am relatively self-sufficient and independent;

Rufus2 Tue 12-May-20 13:26:34

the first few weeks regular calls ,but have eased back , finding what to talk about
Mick Careful! She could be that alien "Dr. Who". (Jodie Whittaker) who came down after me in a separate Tardis; her batteries must have gone flat! grin
Perhaps she can still talk only Klingon, in which case I'd dump her and whatever you do don't step into a blue phone box! hmm
Good Health and Good Luck.
OoRoo

HappyBumbleBee Tue 12-May-20 18:29:43

Have a look at some of the online programs - I have Google books on my phone and it's brilliant x (or Kindle/Amazon) There's quite a few out there now that are suitable for the phone or tablet ?
I still have my bulging bookcase and it'll never replace the feel or experience of a good book in your hands but it'll see you through for a while x