Gransnet forums

Chat

What Are You Really Missing?

(112 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 10:35:12

Just that really.

I know many of you will say the grandchildren, the hairdresser, going out for coffee et al.

I am missing the library. I managed to get 6 books out just before they closed, have spread them out as much as possible, but only a few chapters left of my last Robert Galbraith one, and dread finishing it as I will have to resort to ones on my bookshelf, you know the type, ones I bought and haven’t got into.

Oh well.....

??

Chewbacca Thu 14-May-20 08:41:56

As MawB said, just being in control of my life. Being able to come and go as I wish; go wherever I want, when I want and with whom I want. Freedom really.

Anniebach Thu 14-May-20 08:48:01

Gransnet as it was,

because of a bereavement , I am estranged
from my extended family,my grandchildren moved away ,and
not being able to leave the house for over three years
Gransnet became my family.

Froglady Thu 14-May-20 09:17:55

The main thing I'm missing (apart from a hairdresser!) is my weekly Shared Reading group at a local library. I pick a short story to read to a small group of friends and they have their own copy so they can take it home afterwards, and we discuss the story as we're reading it. It's amazing what can be triggered by reading and some wonderful memories can come out of these sessions. I'd just set up a second group in another library but that's had to got on hold as well.
The first group and I have been meeting for years and I miss them all so much.

Tish Thu 14-May-20 09:26:44

Calendargirl, if you have an iPad/tablet/smartphone and you are a library member, your library may allow access to ebooks/audiobooks/magazines, check their website, not quite the same as browsing in your local branch but they might have enough of a selection to get you through.....

Coconut Thu 14-May-20 09:27:07

Missing my holidays, am supposed to be in Cuba now ! Also the library, but someone has left a pile of books out in our village for people to help themselves, swap books etc

Hellsgrandad Thu 14-May-20 09:53:46

I miss my wife. We've been together for 60 years but she now has dementia and lives in a care home only three miles away. I used to see her every day but it's now coming up to 10 weeks since I last saw her. The worst thing is that I don't know when, or even if, I'll ever see her again.

JuliaM Thu 14-May-20 10:10:54

Oh Anniebach that is so sad, are there no local groups or befriending services that could visit you to offer support and a bit of company, or do you prefare the peace and quiet of your own home by Choice?
I must admit that I dont go out half as much as I used to do, some days I cannot be doing with all the faff of getting ready, and the struggle of getting out into the car, or onto my mobility scooter which is difficult due to my poor moblity and severe arthritis. Somedays my big comfy recliner chair just feels like a much easier option!
I am missing my trips to the seaside, my holidays afloat that I can no longer manage, my weekly Fish and Chips whilst sat out in the car watching the world go by, a ride around a big supermarket searching for a few special treats, or raiding one of the bargain mill shops at sale time, and bringing home a new cosy blanket for my chair, or some fluffy soft towels, or even something for the kitchen maybe?!
I miss my weekly domestic helper who always chatters away whilst she gives the place a good clean and dust through, shes a really nice lady who knows her job well, I can trust her to do anything without the fear that something will get badly damaged, like a previous person did, she washed my Cristal fruit bowl in the dishwasher on a 65* programme and cracked it, never to hold a big family sized trifle ever again, and I had treasured it for over 35 years.

Jaycee5 Thu 14-May-20 10:13:53

I think it is the little things. Just being able to go to the local shops. It's not that I can't but I have been staying in and can't really face going out now.
I had a call from my dentist's yesterday and my first thought was 'I didn't think I had an appointment'. She asked me how I was and I said fine and asked if they were open. She said no but they just wanted to know if I was ok and if I needed any help with shopping or anything. I told her that I was fine and getting deliveries and she told me that I should ring if I needed any help.
It made me realise how much I was missing those little social interactions with people who aren't friends or relatives but that you have passing chats with.
Just getting on the bus or doing things on the spur of the moment.

Cambia Thu 14-May-20 10:15:39

Calendar girl get the Libby app and you can get e books and audio books from the library online! I am in Greece and using this all the time. It is brilliant. The thing I was most concerned about was running out of books! All you need is your library ticket to register!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 14-May-20 10:17:07

I so look forward to giving my 4-year old granddaughter a cuddle... and seeing my son and his partner. My daughter too. Zoom and Facetime are all very well, but it isn't the same, is it? Meals out, hairdresser [I cut my fringe for a second time yesterday!] cinema, theatre, the V&A, art galleries... I usually do two or three things a week to do with arty stuff plus the WI. It is our centenary this year and we had planned extra events each month. We got as far as February! I love reading, and fortunately have plenty of books and a kindle. I have also ordered a few books on line. I am fortunate to live in a rural village with plenty of walks and we have a small garden. But, just 10 minutes away is White Horse Hill [closed] and a couple of NT properties [still closed]. BBC4 [they had better not close it down] have really good programmes. But, I really wish a treatment and/or vaccine could be developed very soon I feel for the young people and students etc. My granddaughter is supposed to be starting school in September.

Cambia Thu 14-May-20 10:18:14

Hells grandad I am so sad for you. I do hope you can see your wife soon . Big hugs x

Craftycat Thu 14-May-20 10:20:06

If I am honest I miss my own company.
Having DH home all the time is driving me mad. He is the
most untidy person in the world & I am constantly tidying up.
He is turning the garage into a workshop which means the drive, patio & dining room are covered in 'stuff' he has turned out while he works out there- which is about 3 hours a day!
No sign of him going back to work as he had just finished a contract before all this & it will take time before companies employ consultants again.
I am also missing coffee with friends & seeing DGC but mainly the peace & quiet!!

missdeke Thu 14-May-20 10:20:20

Calendargirl sometimes the books that you bought and haven't got into can turn out to be the best. I bought a book called The Fiery Cross, amongst others, to take abroad with me when I worked abroad. I started to read it and couldn't get into it so read all the others first, when I had nothing else left to read I went back to The Fiery Cross, it turned out to be absolutely brilliant, my problem was it was the 3rd one in a series which was why I couldn't get into it in the first place. It became an obsession to buy all the rest of them. It is now showing as a series on tv.

SillyNanny321 Thu 14-May-20 10:23:13

Going in to Town 3 afternoons a week to my Volunteering in a local Charity shop. Going to see my friend of 50+ years once a week. Going out when I wanted & where I wanted fir as long as I wanted. Mostly though I miss seening my DS, DDiL, DGC. I miss the laughter, the hugs, playing games & hearing what they have been doing since I last saw them. Thinking I may never have all that again really hurts!

JuliaM Thu 14-May-20 10:35:58

Im going through a similiar situation with my 93yr old Dad Hellsgrandad, total lockdown at the carehome he is in, so none of our family can visit him, so sad. I did try calling him every week at first, but staff said that he was becoming disruptive after my calls and trying every way possible to escape, sadly his dementia has brought out the agressive side in him, and hes been quite abusive to certain younger members of staff when they have not given into his demands, especially when hes demanding alcohol. Some of the other residents at the home manage to see their visitors through an open varandah suportedby a member of staff on finedays, and through the closed Patio doors when the weather was cooler like it was when we first entered lockdown. Would this be an option for you and your wife Hellsgrandad?

nipsmum Thu 14-May-20 10:36:35

Looking forward to having the family for our usual lunch on the first weekend we are allowed.

Foxglove77 Thu 14-May-20 10:37:35

I miss going to our local zoo and a bit of window shopping. I've not been out of our village since lockdown and my birthday was one to remember for all the wrong reasons!

Annanan Thu 14-May-20 10:39:30

HUGS

Tinydancer Thu 14-May-20 10:48:24

Mostly missing giving adult son a hug. Then seeing baby grandchild growing up. Zoom "chats" with her are great but no substitute for real life interaction.
Next meeting up with family and friends.
Feeling anxious about check ups wih healthcare professionals. Just want to feel happy going.

Lclaytonuk555 Thu 14-May-20 10:50:22

I am mostly housebound anyway and only get out once or twice a fortnight. What I am really missing is having something to look forward to - a visit or small outing!

Joesoap Thu 14-May-20 11:01:52

Freedom to do what I want when I want.Freedom to be able to get to the UK without any hassle.I miss it so much.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 14-May-20 11:32:26

I miss going for a coffee! Should be the hairdresser, but quite honestly I'm using it as a challenge to see how I manage with the bird's nest!!
Also of course my GC. Tried speaking to my 4 year old GD this morning on facetime - but she is now used to being anti-social and wouldn't speak to me!

Thecatshatontgemat Thu 14-May-20 11:43:09

Missing work, as it gives structure to the week.
Should be going back at the beginning of June, fingers crossed.
Keep me covered, I'm going in...... ?

Calendargirl Thu 14-May-20 11:49:50

Yes, Thecatshatonthemat

Work does give structure, though now I’m retired, not the case.

Who said “ If there’s no Monday morning, then there’s no weekend”?

Used to tell myself that every Monday morning to motivate myself.

Calender37 Thu 14-May-20 12:00:29

The occasional unannounced visits from my adult grand children, not seeing their very small children and holding the two new babies. The normality and freedom of Life generally that many now realise we have always taken for granted. Going to the hairdresser will be a day for celebration - but only when the time is right. Unexpectedly I have survived Covid19 so that makes me appreciate each new day, regardless of all the restrictions.