Gransnet forums

Chat

This won't work

(162 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 14:54:18

Rishi Sunak is supporting non-workers to the tune of £14m pd until end of July (80% of wages) then Aug- Oct workers can go part-time with companies paying part of the wages, however , it's transpired that many workers who can now return to work, have declined, preferring the idle life this summer and content to live on 80% handouts.
Many have picked up cash in hand jobs to boost their income.
Nice work eh?
Too used to it now and it will not end well.

Pantglas2 Fri 15-May-20 22:14:12

And the corner shop is still open for the people who think it’s too dangerous for them to face the public.......

Hetty58 Fri 15-May-20 22:10:17

EllanVannin, very sensible. Let's face it, those returning to work or school risk being in the next 'batch' of cases!

EllanVannin Fri 15-May-20 21:46:28

While there are people still dying I won't be following any government rules I'm afraid. It's suicide !

My GGC won't be going back to school.. My D isn't going back to work until the folk here in the NW stop dying . I won't be going any further than the corner shop. No supermarket shopping within a building breathing in other people's germs.

I certainly wouldn't be flippant about this virus, it's not to be underestimated.

Prince or pauper, it'll kill.

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 21:22:51

GajoJo True. Isn't it strange that MPs and Peers have not announced that they are going back to work in Westminster but everyone else should. Always one rule for them and one for others.

Eloethan Fri 15-May-20 18:47:03

Gabriella I haven't seen any "claws unsheathed" - it seems that is the way you describe people disagreeing with you.

It is very easy for some people - such as people furloughed and working from home, self-employed people who work from a home office and retired people - who are cosily tucked away at home - to become indignant about those who are reluctant to go back to work.

Like everyone else, I am concerned about the virus but I have from the outset gone out for a walk every day for over an hour -unlike some people who are terrified to step over their front doorstep. However, since the lockdown I have not taken a bus, train or the tube and do not intend to do so at the moment - because that does make me feel nervous. Who am I - or anyone who is reluctant to leave their home and who is scared to use public transport - to pass judgment on people who might have to travel some distance to work by public transport and then to spend the whole day in an enclosed environment with several other people.

It has been reported today that the infection rate is creeping up again so isn't it quite natural that some people who are being urged to go back to work are frightened?

GagaJo Fri 15-May-20 17:37:57

Gabriella is just looking for a fight.

In very poor taste when the issue is the working classes putting their lives on the line. Whatever happened to noblesse oblige? Not that a Daily Mail reading Farage supporter fits the 'noblesse' category, but you get my gist

3nanny6 Fri 15-May-20 16:54:42

GabriellaG54 : your quote "Our government makes the rules.
I abide by them. You do not jump in with claws unsheathed just because you don't agree with a post.

How would you feel about being in your employment and having a member of the public spit on you?
Just expressing my views which I arrive at after reading and seeing statistics and having a lot of sympathy for the families of dead people.
There is no answer to that for me, and that's all I have to say to you.

MawB Fri 15-May-20 13:59:59

That's all I have to say to you
?

If only...

trisher Fri 15-May-20 13:57:49

Woo what was that about anger issues and chill?

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-May-20 13:50:54

Train drivers are 'locked' into their cabs and do not come into contact with the travelling public when they are working.
There are pros and cons in most situations.
Our government makes the rules. I abide by them.
What you think is not necessarily what I think and who is to say who is right and who is wrong?
I'm content that I don't jump in with claws unsheathed just because I don't agree with a post.
I express my own views which are arrived at after reading and listening to many different outlets.
That's all I have to say to you.
?

3nanny6 Fri 15-May-20 13:35:06

GabriellaG54 ; many people have been told they can return to work and most of them are the blue collar workers that cannot still work from home. These people/workers are sent out to use public transport to reach their work place as many of them live in London and surrounding areas and have no need of a car as they have always relied on buses and trains. There have been enough T.V. crews showing the overcrowding. no social distancing and hardly anybody wearing face coverings on this transport so is it any wonder that people are declining the offer to return to work.
Take a look at how many bus drivers have lost their lives as they also are front-line workers also there have been cases of train drivers also catching the coronavirus. These people who are front-line workers also have to deal with passengers that get angry over delays and look at the most prominent case of the lady who was spat on and contracted the disease and died.

I do not think it is anybody's place to be critical of people not yet returning to work we have had a huge death toll with this virus and many seem to forget it is not over yet.
As for the assumption of people getting cash in hand jobs that sounds ludicrous to me and where is the proof of that.
Nothing is open and there has been no work going on so where are these cash in hand jobs? Just like the troops being put on the front-line in the war the same is being done to these people being put onto trains buses etc and facing an enemy that is indiscriminate and a fierce killer.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-May-20 13:34:24

???

MawB Fri 15-May-20 13:29:50

Anyone can say anything to me and I will think no more and no less of them than I did before, nor will words ever upset me
Well that’s good GabbyG because I have read such a load of ? ? this morning, presumably designed to rile as many people as possible and provoke dissent. Bored perhaps?
It is entirely disingenuous to write the equivalent of “I speak as I find” and then go on to express unfounded prejudices, self- righteous pontification, name dropping and boasting, not to mention “authoritative” fake news (the heads-up that the lockdown was to be extended to 50+- remember?)
As for the anti-Scottish sentiments - they say more about their author than anybody north of the border.
But what a good thing that it is all water off a duck’s back and words will never upset you. That’s all right then.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-May-20 13:08:51

...so you see, I hear what you say and if you were correct I would amend my view.
Sorry, is only a word and often an empty one.
I stand by the views I posted here but enjoy reading 99.999% of others, often taking on board what has been said and shaping my views if I think other points warrant it.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-May-20 13:04:48

Hola ?
Don't be disappointed, it's a very negative emotion.
The world is a wonderful place and there is plenty of room for all of our views.
Mine certainly aren't extreme, just different from yours.
I don't always tread the well worn and sometimes boring paths in life along with the same crowd, preferring to look at the world from a different angle.
It harms no-one and refreshes the way I think.
Extreme is (metaphorically speaking) hard left or hard right and I am neither.
I'm a pacifist and quite willing and able to walk away and let the other person have the last word even if I hold a totally opposing view.
Anyone can say anything to me and I will think no more and no less of them than I did before, nor will words ever upset me.
So you see,

trisher Fri 15-May-20 12:49:16

GabriellaG54 Some people just can't admit they are wrong and resort to accusing others of imagined emotions. It's called deflection.

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 12:39:24

GabriellaG54 No one disagreeing with you is getting wound up. Disappointed maybe but we are all aware that there are people with extreme views.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-May-20 11:35:24

???
Some people ask for heart attacks by getting too wound up about posts to which they have opposing and inflexible views.
It's like an echo chamber.
Hang loose.
Relax
Take a break
You'll feel all the better for it. ??

mommarann Fri 15-May-20 11:27:29

How do you know they haven't got a mortgage?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 15-May-20 11:26:21

I would like to know how many shop workers have died due to Covid-19 as they are encountering the general public continuously, Perspex screens only appeared recently at some till points/checkouts.

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 11:22:15

trisher well said. There is a line of spite and superiority in this thread which is the worst of us.

Grandad1943 Fri 15-May-20 11:19:22

trisher, in regard to your post @10:33 today, I have to agree one hundred percent with your statement in condemnation of the idea that the United Kingdoms workforce employees are lazy idiots who have no concept of economics and don't want to work.

Certainly within our companies services to other organisations wishing to restart their operations there would seem to be much cooperation between employers and employees in wishing to overcome the safety concerns there may be in that restart and "get back to work" as soon as practically possible.

There will be, as with any situation, a very small minority who do not wish to comply with the majority in wishing to return to everyday employment. However, for any person to state that such people views and actions are widespread in Britains workforce at the present time demonstrates, I feel, a lack of intelligence and grasp of the realities of the present situation in those making such assumptions.

However, when we have on this forum a member who states that she never reads all the contributions to a thread, and then fifty minutes later states in a direct contradiction that she always reads all contributions to a thread, I believe we have to make allowances. ?

Jaycee5 Fri 15-May-20 11:18:34

Figures have been confirmed today for London buses. 43 deaths, 10 ancillary staff for the bus section of TFL, 33 bus drivers.
No one has said that they are the only people who will suffer - but they are front line essential workers whose safety should be considered before filling buses unnecessarily early.

oldgimmer1 Fri 15-May-20 11:03:49

@grandad1948:

Thanks for that post. I hope that people read and take note. smile

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-May-20 11:03:35

This is the information I take issue with:

it's transpired that many workers who can now return to work, have declined, preferring the idle life this summer and content to live on 80% handouts. Many have picked up cash in hand jobs to boost their income.

How do you know this is true other than the one article quoted?
It really seems unbelievable as it stands. Who are these workers who are able to choose whether they work or not
GabriellaG54?

And how is, say, a CC router operator going to pick up cash-in-hand for that matter? Are you assuming he/she is doing some other work from his home?