Gransnet forums

Chat

This won't work

(161 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 14:54:18

Rishi Sunak is supporting non-workers to the tune of £14m pd until end of July (80% of wages) then Aug- Oct workers can go part-time with companies paying part of the wages, however , it's transpired that many workers who can now return to work, have declined, preferring the idle life this summer and content to live on 80% handouts.
Many have picked up cash in hand jobs to boost their income.
Nice work eh?
Too used to it now and it will not end well.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 14:57:02

Correction
£14m pd £14bn pm ??

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-May-20 14:58:34

Bet you haven’t got any evidence for that assertion g54

Something you’ve winged off from the top of your head?

AGAA4 Tue 12-May-20 14:58:52

I can understand those who genuinely feel it is unsafe to return to work. Those who may have to travel on crowded public transport may be worried.
Cash in hand jobs, however, are well out of order.

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 15:00:34

Those same people obviously haven't got mortgages to pay then ?

sarahh56 Tue 12-May-20 15:02:34

I thinka lot of employers have had plenty of time to get plans in place to get people back into work. Offices should be able to socially distance with screens and empty desks etc. Pubs and restaurants obviously cannot so these staff shouldremain furloughed.
What about health care workers and shop workers etc they have been exposed since day 1, good job they have not been furloughed!

Ilovecheese Tue 12-May-20 15:04:29

Where have you discovered these people with cash in hand jobs?
According to the "oh so clear" message from Boris Johnson, people are not expected to return to work until tomorrow, and only then if they can be certain that their employers have taken bit of time to arrange their working environment so that it is safe.

How easy and reassuring it must be, to assume the worst motives to people who are trying to protect themselves and their families from death.

dizzyblonde Tue 12-May-20 15:04:44

And your evidence is??
My DS is furloughed, he’s a theatre manager so not able to either go into work or work from home. I’m very relieved that the government is helping him and his colleagues. He has savings being a careful soul but they will not last for ever.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:05:42

Some !&#@ haha. Time wasters.

Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 15:06:52

I can understand how worried people might be about going back to work, but keep thinking about say the supermarket workers who have kept us going with groceries the last seven weeks. They must have been really scared on the 24th March after lockdown, but finding out they still had to turn up, perhaps travelling on public transport to get there. (I realise the PT would not be so crowded then).
When will it be safe to go back then? We can’t wait for a vaccine before people’s working lives resume.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:07:00

Obvs, none of you have read the latest.

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 15:09:13

My D had no other choice but to be furloughed as according to the news, after nursing staff, she's at high risk with her work in the security sector and she's late 50's----border control.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:10:04

Plus interviews with bosses on news.

dizzyblonde Tue 12-May-20 15:10:57

The latest where Gabriella?

dizzyblonde Tue 12-May-20 15:12:21

Ah Mail online, enough said. Truth is not something that paper understands.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:14:30

You wouldn't know as presumably you don't read it.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:15:50

Not all workers, some. Enough to make it uncomfortable for bosses.

dizzyblonde Tue 12-May-20 15:17:00

No but I have to buy it for my elderly neighbour, the headlines are enough to put me off. I hide it in the Times so no one I know sees me buying it.?

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:19:45

Inverted snobbery at it's best, oozing from every pore.
???

Daisymae Tue 12-May-20 15:20:23

The only people I know who have been furloughed are abiding by the rules. Some have been given a return date and others are waiting to hear. Must are very concerned about the future and are well aware of what's coming with the unemployment prospects. This is a non story

dizzyblonde Tue 12-May-20 15:21:47

A joke Gabriella, ? Otherwise I would refuse to buy it for her like some people I know of.

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 15:22:04

Have you told your neighbour how much mental stress buying that rag causes you and how ashamed you are of being seen with it?
I bet not.

dizzyblonde Tue 12-May-20 15:24:00

It’s called a joke Gabriella

Ilovecheese Tue 12-May-20 15:35:53

How on earth are people who have been furloughed supposed to go back to work when their workplaces are not open?

Have you left the house at all Gabriella? seen the news? have you seen all the restaurants, coffee shops, clothes shops, gift shops, theatres, cinemas, bowling alleys etc. etc. all closed.

Do you just assume that people behave in the ways that you are accusing them of behaving because that is what you would do in their situation?

GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 17:20:19

Naturally, I know only too well that all the places you mention and then some,care closed and I watch and read the news rather more than most as I have nothing else more important to do.
As for the last paragraph, no, that is not what I would do but then, I cannot wear the shoes of another and pretend that I know what it's like.
What I do not believe is right, is taking cash in hand and not declaring it if you are a taxpayer.
I'm afraid in my life there are no grey or fuzzy areas but that view may not be shared by everyone. Each to their own. ?